Why swap the pickups when you don't even know what they sound like? You might like it as is.

How about you provide us with a budget, location, if you are willing to buy used, the gear you have now, what you want out of a guitar etc... and we can help you better
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I may you're right, we shall see about that.

This guitar is used, I'll be getting it for $400 if I purchase it. I was just curious ahead of time before trying it if anyone had any experience with said guitar. I'll be dropping it down to D standard, drop C.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Last edited by CNC-Digity at Apr 4, 2016,
Well, if you have played any other Epiphone Les Paul, they're pretty similar. Somewhat slim necks, D shape, okay hardware etc... The biggest difference between a regular Epi LPC/LPS and the one you linked is the added middle pickup. Personally, I don't see any benefit to having that middle pickup in a metal setting. You're mostly using the bridge pickup and most of the other settings tend to be too muddy for anything like palm muting etc...

You'd be better off with a 2 pickup LP in my opinion, but if you can get that Epiphone for cheap, you personally try it out and like it then that's the right answer. So try it out, if it works for what you like, then go for it.

You could probably offer him 350 though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Haha I tried $350 already. I'll get a chance to try it out tomorrow night. Honestly I'm probably gonna remove the middle pickup and fill that hole lol. I've done it already too one of my basses. I'm gonna re paint it as well.
Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Quote by CNC-Digity at #33910644
Haha I tried $350 already. I'll get a chance to try it out tomorrow night. Honestly I'm probably gonna remove the middle pickup and fill that hole lol. I've done it already too one of my basses. I'm gonna re paint it as well.

That's a waste man. So many Epiphones are for sale all the time, just get a 2 pickup model.

Seriously, you fill that hole, now you gotta refin the guitar as well. Now, you've put a ton of money into a guitar where you won't get that money back. You've essentially turned a 400 dollar guitar into something somebody wouldn't pay 200 bucks for. Not a smart move.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I do all the paint my self and work myself. If anything it's a fun project. Here's my 7 string I redid.

Gear:
EBMM Bongo HS 4
EBMM Sting Ray 5
Eden D410T
Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
Tech 21 Sansamp RPM
Art 341 Dual Channel EQ
QSC GX5 Power Amp
Still doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of money dude. Even if you don't spend a dime on the thing, nobody will pay what it used to be worth anymore unless you're okay with ripping people off.

If you think it's a fun project, have at it. I think it's kind of wasted effort considering you can just get the guitar you want instead of destroying a 3 pickup Epiphone that somebody else was probably looking for.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Still doesn't change the fact that it's a waste of money dude. Even if you don't spend a dime on the thing, nobody will pay what it used to be worth anymore unless you're okay with ripping people off.

If you think it's a fun project, have at it. I think it's kind of wasted effort considering you can just get the guitar you want instead of destroying a 3 pickup Epiphone that somebody else was probably looking for.

Agreed. Yeah, they're inexpensive and not as sought after as Gibsons, but there's likely someone who'd appreciate being able to have a BB as is that can be had on the cheap.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I'm going to pile on for a third. Don't get that guitar just to completely change it. I actually had one for a while and it was a good guitar.

Definitely don't pay $400 for it just to do all that crap to it. That's too high and definitely too much considering your plans.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
i can't stand 3 pu lps myself. darn lump gets in the way. you could drop it down as far as it will go but that might not be enough for you.
Quote by CNC-Digity
Honestly I'm probably gonna remove the middle pickup and fill that hole lol.

Somewhere an Ace Frehley fan is weeping!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Somewhere an Ace Frehley fan is weeping!

Not to mention Frampton.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
I think it's pretty cool. You gotta start those painting skills somewhere.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Stillhouse
Not to mention Frampton.

Yes yes and the Frampton fan is weeping through a talkbox

Now if he removes the center pup and don't fill the hole but instead puts some lights and a smoke bomb in the hole then the Frehley fans would rejoice
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 4, 2016,
I have a 2006 Korean Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3 (stock Alnico pickups) with a 6-way switch modification (I highly recommend getting this mod). My style is more "punk rock" but I believe the Black Beauty can produce a good "metal" sound, especially if it's paired with the right amp. I have attached a pic of the bridge pickup.
1984 Yamaha SG1000X
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2011 Fender Mustang IV
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
2014 Fender Mustang I (V.2)
2016 Gibson Custom Shop Standard Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue VOS
Quote by AcousticMirror
I think it's pretty cool. You gotta start those painting skills somewhere.

+1 I say go for it

The pickups in Epis tend to be pretty dark, but if you're replacing them it wouldn't be an issue. The necks aren't necessarily for shredders but they're nice enough for metal in general.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I agree with the "not buying it" crowd. There are so many guitars out there and each has it's own sound. That's why we end up buying multiple guitars, to get another sound. Buy one that sounds as close as possible to the sound you are looking for. It's my personal opinion but I love the sound of the Epiphone Black Beauty. It's a nice guitar that sounds the way it does on purpose. If you don't like that sound, buy something that already has the sound you are looking for.

It might just be me but I found that you really have to adjust your playing technique a little to get use to that middle pickup. I do like the sound of that pickup but the way it's wired you don't have much control over it. I want to rewire mine so each pickup has it's own volume pot with a single tone master pot. I found a schematic on line but I haven't done the work yet and I will be replacing the neck pickup with a Stew/Mac Golden Age pickup which I bought at least 6 months ago to do this job.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 5, 2016,