Hey guys.

So, I've been playing bass for about 4 months now after some years of playing guitar. There is something that has been troubling me a bit since I've started playing bass. Whenever I play with my fingers, they get a bit sticky after about 5-10 minutes.

I always wash my hands before playing and let them dry well. My hands are also very sweaty. After about 5-10 minutes of playing, my right hand fingers get sticky and they hinder my playing ability a bit.

If I wash my hands again and wipe the strings with soft cloth, the problem goes away, but it comes back again after those 5-10 minutes.

Is it normal for this to happen? Any solution? Or should I just get used to it? It's a bit annoying, specially when playing faster parts.

I'm using nickel roundwound strings if that matters.
Sound like the sweat is making the contact between your skin and the string a bit abrasive. I have extremely dry hands, but I have noticed that when I do sweat, flatwound strings are much easier to use than roundwounds. The rounds tend to 'grip' the skin a bit more than the flats.
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.
Quote by Burnkur
Sound like the sweat is making the contact between your skin and the string a bit abrasive. I have extremely dry hands, but I have noticed that when I do sweat, flatwound strings are much easier to use than roundwounds. The rounds tend to 'grip' the skin a bit more than the flats.

I suspected as much. Thanks for the reply
I've just gotten very proficient at rubbing the side of my pants quickly while playing.
Before I play I wash really thoroughly and use a nail brush on my palms and fingers. Nothing seems to get my fingers cleaner.
..I was watching my death.
Two words--"corn starch" or "baby powder". I learned that trick from Rocco Prestia, the king of fingerstyle funk. Just a little bit on the tips helps the stickiness
Quote by timbit2006
I've just gotten very proficient at rubbing the side of my pants quickly while playing.
Before I play I wash really thoroughly and use a nail brush on my palms and fingers. Nothing seems to get my fingers cleaner.

Quote by anarkee
Two words--"corn starch" or "baby powder". I learned that trick from Rocco Prestia, the king of fingerstyle funk. Just a little bit on the tips helps the stickiness

Some pretty good ideas. Thanks guys, I'll try them