Just had one of my first rehearsals today, great experience

Now in the beginning it would be nice to have some sort of help via earphones. I'm thinking perhaps hooking everybody up by earphones to listen to the original song or some backing track while playing along. Some simple signal splitter and earphones with individual volume settings is an idea. Then switching the backing track for a metronome after a few runs, and then switch it all off.

What about that?

What kind of stuff do you guys use to ease up rehearsal?
You are describing a mixer. Run your tracks, click, vocals through the mixer and make sure everyone has decent monitor level. Keep the instrument volume much lower than live shows to hear the vocals clearly without feedback.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Unless you have some sort of pre recorded keys or something(and no key player) that you need to be extremely precise with, what's the point of this?
Are you talking about learning cover tunes? So you all are going to be listening together in headphones whilst learning your individual parts? Then ditching the cans to play the song yourselves?

"What kind of stuff do you guys use to ease up rehearsal?"

We all show up to rehearsal knowing our parts
Quote by Guitarxor
Just had one of my first rehearsals today, great experience

Now in the beginning it would be nice to have some sort of help via earphones. I'm thinking perhaps hooking everybody up by earphones to listen to the original song or some backing track while playing along. Some simple signal splitter and earphones with individual volume settings is an idea. Then switching the backing track for a metronome after a few runs, and then switch it all off.

What about that?

What kind of stuff do you guys use to ease up rehearsal?

An easy rehearsal is where :
1)everyone learns the songs on their own time
2) no one wears headphones and only the vocal is going through a PA

Metronome, Headphones and backing tracks are a recipe for complication and disaster.
Quote by esky15
Unless you have some sort of pre recorded keys or something(and no key player) that you need to be extremely precise with, what's the point of this?

Spot on! The singer won't be able to join us until a few days before the gig.