I never took drum lessons, I took guitar lessons for a few years but anyways I just play for fun but I wanna make an album on my own and give away copies for free kinda like
Dave Grohl did on his first album!
Here are my first 3 tracks (hate using soundcloud but whatever)
was wondering if you guys could tell me what you think of the tracks
Also don't hold back or sugar coat the critisism, If you think it sounds like shit then be honest please! Thanks

https://soundcloud.com/anthony-la-rocca-3/track-1-1
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-la-rocca-3/track-2-1
https://soundcloud.com/anthony-la-rocca-3/track-3-1
Basically, from all that, your timing is way off on your songs. You've got some nice riffs and ideas there, they're just executed poorly due to your bad timing.

It sounds like you've recorded the guitar and drum tracks separately and then tried to splice them together with no reference point.

Basically, practice practice practice.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Apr 5, 2016,
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Basically, from all that, your timing is way off on your songs. You've got some nice riffs and ideas there, they're just executed poorly due to your bad timing.

Agreed, I'm not sure how to fix it though, I keep re-recording and re arranging the tracks but still can't get the timing right
Quote by thesanchez101
Agreed, I'm not sure how to fix it though, I keep re-recording and re arranging the tracks but still can't get the timing right

metronome
drum rudiments e.g. single stroke roll
less red bull more green tea
have a shag
Quote by AndersM1
metronome
drum rudiments e.g. single stroke roll
less red bull more green tea
have a shag

Metronome doesn't help for some reason but i'll try the single role stroke
Quote by thesanchez101
I wanna make an album on my own and give away copies for free kinda like Dave Grohl did on his first album!
Woweee!!!
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by thesanchez101
Metronome doesn't help for some reason but i'll try the single role stroke

No you need to practice with a metronome my friend.
Quote by AndersM1
No you need to practice with a metronome my friend.

How do I know how to set metronome to a riff I've already created
You can alter your riff to a different tempo, set a metronome to a beat that you feel matches it, then play along in time with it.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
You can alter your riff to a different tempo, set a metronome to a beat that you feel matches it, then play along in time with it.

thanks, I've figure out that I think the guitar part is fairly consistent because I did use a metronome with that, but the drums aren't so I need to fix those
Quote by thesanchez101
thanks, I've figure out that I think the guitar part is fairly consistent because I did use a metronome with that, but the drums aren't so I need to fix those

if you want to record without a metronome (i do as its more natural feel) then you need someone to play along with eg bass as its a pain in the ass to record over it from scratch.
Quote by AndersM1
if you want to record without a metronome (i do as its more natural feel) then you need someone to play along with eg bass as its a pain in the ass to record over it from scratch.

What if I record drums first and use that as a metronome?
Quote by thesanchez101
What if I record drums first and use that as a metronome?

You can do that, but you'll still need to make sure your drums keep decent time, using a click track or something similar.....like a metronome.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
I dont really enjoy metronomes id rather play with another track eg percussion
Quote by AndersM1
I dont really enjoy metronomes id rather play with another track eg percussion

In a recording setting metronomes aren't great, but for practicing a piece to really lock it down, they're great.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
And everything must pass
You can still have that feel, even when playing to a metronome. I love my metronome when recording. As a multi-instrumentalist, I can tell that if the drums are recorded to a metronome, it's alot easier to record on top of it with the other instruments. Also, always record the drums first. That way you can match your guitars to the FEEL of your drums.
i think we need to ask something fundamental, his issue maybe the daw he is using. what program do you use to record(ex: protools, ableton, cubase, reason, audacity, ect...). do you have any experience with midi? I use guitar pro 5 to make drum tracks i can record too since i don't have a drummer or a kit to mic up all the time.

Having a proper daw and mapping out your song before you record it will solve the metronome problem. It's screwing you up because you really don't understand the song you've written. Using a midi drum track in guitar pro can help you map out your song and drop it into your daw allowing you to record over some generic sounds while you build up the track, piece, by piece.

By no means am i an expert, ive only been recording for 9 months, but if you have any questions you can ask me if you need anything.
I agree with tempest. Get yourself a drum vst (there are free ones out there) and program a basic beat that roughly fits the feel and tempo of the song. It's much more natural than playing to a literal click track. Next record some basic scratch tracks so the sections of the song are mapped out and you have something to work with. Then you can overdub guitar solos, actual recorded acoustic drums and tenor kazoo parts to your hearts content