What got you into playing guitar for the first time (Make story if you're interested)

Page 1 of 2
What did you discover about guitar(s) and how old were you when it happened?

I was 15 years old as a metalhead & huge KoRn fan when I see a guitar-alike controller at Best Buy in late 2006 and, of course, I did not know anything about musical instrument. When I see what it was, it's actually called Guitar Hero II, which the game had rock songs to play on the guitar controller. Later that Christmas Season, I went to Arizona to see my mom and she got me a GH2 package for Playstation 2 and went upstair and play it happily. However, I enjoyed the musical game alot but I do not know alot, alot, alot of the songs or bands in that game because I was just a teenager who's still learning about and interesting in anything rock.

Until Fall 2007, when I was addicted to old school thrash metal, I've brought my first Guitar World, the first musical magazine I ever saw, and got hooked into looking at guitars. At one time, my dad (he wasn't really a guitar seeker either) took me to the musical store called Guitar Center so we get to go in to look at packs of guitar strings for my grandfather. Wanna know how I felt! When I see guitars standing on the wall, I was so thrill looking at them! There's so many of them to pick one to play with the amp but I did not touch anything there, to be honest. At the same time, thrash metal got me to play air guitar alot because that genre has a whole lot of guitar plays and sh*t, lol.

In April 2008, my birthday mouth, I told my dad I wanted a black V electric guitar for my 17th birthday. I discovered a $300 guitar I wanted so that's Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX and thought it looked sweet. I was idol-ing Dave Mustaine as my favorite guitarist, along with Kirk Hammet because, like I said earlier, I was really a thrasher who love listening to Metallica and Megadeth every week so I really liked Mustaine's style alot more. Later in late April, I finally got that and my dream came true.

After I got it as a birthday present, I started to play & practice after school just to cover Metallica, Slayer and Sepultura every day. Of course, I did all on my own and I wasn't really good with solos so all I do was playing verses and riffs.

Until 2007-08 schoolyear, I took a guitar class for a good lesson (tabs, guitar body, etc.) and learned.

Oh man, I was so addicting to hard rock, heavy metal and thrash metal in those high school days. I was a hard, crazy rocker back then, lol.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Last edited by Hal-Sephira at Apr 5, 2016,
Eh, I'll bite.

I was 14 years old, back from camp with Cadets during the holidays, and I was moping around the house doing pretty much nothing.

My Dad had a CD by a guitarist named Tommy Emmanuel, which I kept playing over and over.

My mum got sick of hearing the same CD over and over again, so she sat me down on the couch, handed me some second hand "guitar for beginners" type books and my dad's old nylon string acoustic guitar.

10 years later, still going pretty good.

Oh, this was the song I kept playing over and over....still can't play it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OILZvbs1LB4
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Hal-Sephira
and sh*t, lol

Excuse me?
I did not bitch my ass off to the admins on the front page to get forum censoring removed for you to start your own censoring of words

Sweet fucking mother of a cuntlicking assmunching bitch whore God people are inconsiderate of other's hard work!

OT: I picked up guitar because I started listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival (ironically listening to them now too) and I was intoxicated by John Fogerty's licks and riffs so I borrowed my dad's crappy old acoustic without a tuner and started learning using my knowledge gained from about 3 years of piano experience to play the main ideas using one string. After a few months I was in year 9 and I picked up bass at school, which to this day I still enjoy playing more. I went back to the guitar eventually, and got my first real guitar, my SG, and I play all the time.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
I heard that you could snap a g-string while fingering a minor if you played guitar. Obviously I misinterpreted what that meant.
Went over to a friend's house when I was 15 or so. Friend was the one who had introduced me to rock and such about a year earlier. He had just picked up the guitar himself and showed me some riffs. Then he asked me if I wanted to try the smoke on the water riff. So I did, and I actually managed to play it.

Got home, picked up an old Spanish guitar my dad had given my mom at one point, and started messing around on that. After I few weeks I transitioned to the cheapest electric guitar I could find.

Also "shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits"
Me and some friends decided we wanted to make a band (should be pointed out that at the time only one of us actually played anything), my brother had one. Been dabbling with it on and off for about a decade or so now.

And reading that makes me sad that after all this time I still play like I was introduced to it last week. Re-learning everything every few years is not good practice form.
My buddy played guitar, we wanted to make a band. I was supposed to play bass, but I wanted to play guitar instead, so I got a job and bought one myself. That was about 11 years ago.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Muse.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Kind of embarrasing but back when I was like 12-13 I wanted to start playing guitar to play Linkin Park riffs. I remember some dudes taking a guitar to school and I learning 1 of the riffs and trying to play it.

At 15 my parents bought me a classical guitar, and it came with some free classical guitar training lessons (4 I believe). After going through those I liked it and kept with the classes for a couple of years, while at the side also trying to play other types of songs and learning them too (I stopped playing Linking Park songs though)
A friend of mine needed a bassist for his band and I had nothing better to do.

7 years later, I now play bass, drums and guitar.
I distinctly remember getting guitar hero 2, because I got to play like 3 songs on it and then had to go to church. Worst moment of my whole life.
I just wanted to play music and guitar seemed like the coolest instrument at the time. Not a very interesting story I suppose.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I just wanted to play music and guitar seemed like the coolest instrument at the time. Not a very interesting story I suppose.

Why banjo and pedal steel though
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Man, my story is pretty bad

I guess it must have been the beginning of grade 8. I was getting out of my rap music phase and getting into a nu-metal phase. At the time my favorite band was System of a Down.

I was getting bullied like hell in school, but there was a small group of people that really didn't judge me if I hung around or not... the music playing group. These guys would bring their guitars and just play. My crush also hung with them, probably serenaded by the guitars. This helped with making the decision for me to play guitar.

This came together in my head as an opportunity to escape the bullying. I learned to play Seven Nation Army one night, and later tried to start learning Roulette by SOAD, with not much luck. My lack of luck did not mean that I would refrain from showing off that I could play. I tuned my guitar to Drop C and brought it to school.

I convinced my resource teacher to let me store the guitar in his office until lunch, and when I went to take it out the one day I brought my guitar, the people that were usually hanging out weren't.

They never were there again, really. Playing an instrument, creating songs, etc really wasn't for notoriety; it was therapeutic, no matter what other people told me. I think that was my motivation to continue playing.
The earliest memory I have related to guitars is being 3 or 4 and putting fuzzy stickers all over the pick guard of my dad's strat.

Back then I just played kids' songs on my mom's upright.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Excuse me?
I did not bitch my ass off to the admins on the front page to get forum censoring removed for you to start your own censoring of words

Sweet fucking mother of a cuntlicking assmunching bitch whore God people are inconsiderate of other's hard work!

Thank you for your fucking hard work.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Why banjo and pedal steel though

Because I like bluegrass and honky country and those are respectively the best instrument in each of those genre. Banjo also has the benefit of having the most character of any instrument. It's always funny as well. Like there's never a situation where having a banjo around doesn't come in handy.

Pedal steel on the other hand is arguably the most beautiful and expressive sounding instrument ever and is just so incredibly unique.

It also has very unique capabilities. It is fully polyphonic (in terms of variety of chord voicings), a continuous pitch instrument, and able to use just intonation, meantone temperament, or literally any tuning system you want while still being playable in any key (or rather with any root pitch, if you're playing music with arbitrary reference pitch.

There are very few instruments that meet two of those criteria, but probably not a single other that meets all three that can play in real time (ie not programmed) other than maybe a continuous pitch keyboard. Just in terms of that it has an until world of tonal possibilities that no other instrument really has.

Plus, you know. It's a great instrument if you are serious about playing professionally since there is an excellent ratio of high demand (almost every single country band or artist as well as other genres) to number of players (not many).

On the other hand, it is really one of these most difficult instruments to play, so it's not exactly a "get rich quick" deal in terms of finding work.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I was a geeky kid with no friends, when I got to 10th grade I finally got a couple of friends. But they were also outcasts that were into the music scene. So naturally I was desperate to immerse myself into the only clique that would accept me.
I played on and off for years, owned several guitars from utter garbage acoustics to a sweet 1959 Gibson ES-335 that I traded away for a car (perhaps the worst trade in the history of guitars).

But I hadn't owned a guitar or played at all for several years and then I came home on Fathers day a few years back to a new Strat and Amp sitting in the living room. My wife decided it was time to get back to the music. I now own a ridiculous amount of guitars and amps and there are days when I'm sure she regrets her decision...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by theogonia777
Because I like bluegrass and honky country and those are respectively the best instrument in each of those genre. Banjo also has the benefit of having the most character of any instrument. It's always funny as well. Like there's never a situation where having a banjo around doesn't come in handy.

As someone who's tried the banjo before I really can't argue that, the reenterent tuning is something I really enjoy on ukuleleas well because it creates such a different perspective of how to make music. The banjo's 5th string having a stepped start is even better, just something else unique about it.

Also would you recommend open back or closed?

Pedal steel on the other hand is arguably the most beautiful and expressive sounding instrument ever and is just so incredibly unique.

It also has very unique capabilities. It is fully polyphonic (in terms of variety of chord voicings), a continuous pitch instrument, and able to use just intonation, meantone temperament, or literally any tuning system you want while still being playable in any key (or rather with any root pitch, if you're playing music with arbitrary reference pitch.

There are very few instruments that meet two of those criteria, but probably not a single other that meets all three that can play in real time (ie not programmed) other than maybe a continuous pitch keyboard. Just in terms of that it has an until world of tonal possibilities that no other instrument really has.

Plus, you know. It's a great instrument if you are serious about playing professionally since there is an excellent ratio of high demand (almost every single country band or artist as well as other genres) to number of players (not many).

On the other hand, it is really one of these most difficult instruments to play, so it's not exactly a "get rich quick" deal in terms of finding work.

This however is an instrument I really think I can only dream of trying to play, a few years of playing bottle neck and lap steel haven't yielded much, not so much through lack of technique as a lack of application of comprehension, I know what I'm supposed to do, I just suck at doing it.

Also I totally get huge demand low supply jobs that aren't easy to get into, hence piano tuner
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Arby911
I played on and off for years, owned several guitars from utter garbage acoustics to a sweet 1959 Gibson ES-335 that I traded away for a car (perhaps the worst trade in the history of guitars).

But I hadn't owned a guitar or played at all for several years and then I came home on Fathers day a few years back to a new Strat and Amp sitting in the living room. My wife decided it was time to get back to the music. I now own a ridiculous amount of guitars and amps and there are days when I'm sure she regrets her decision...

Speaking of many guitars, in your profile pic, there's a dark coloured hollowbody next to the sunburst with the cream coloured headstock.
Is that a Starfire IV?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

My friend got a telecaster for his 13th birthday and wouldn't let me touch it. That's what got me into guitars, really. Other than that, I have an older friend who collects and deals in used guitars, so he would occasionally talk my ear off about them.
I've always been interested in stringed instruments, though. Cello, viola, bass, violin, guitar, bajo, and piano on the outside.
Shortly after turning 19, I went to a pawn shop to see about a PS3 and saw that they had a wall of guitars. Went back a month or so later and picked up a shitty guitar for $45, got it restored to working order for $40 plus $12 for new strings, picked up a karaoke/iPod amp for $22 at an auction, and got some other hardware from a music shop.
I'm pretty happy with my setup for the most part.
I used to go to my grandparents after school as my parents both worked.My uncle who stayed with them had a decent CD collection and I started putting them on during my stay.Guns n roses,Therapy?,Green Day,Manic Street preachers and RaTm mostly.That started my interest in guitar based music and I have a cousin who played guitar from a early age so I got into playing that way.

Still have first guitar bought from said cousin which I took some lessons from too.I took about 10 years out from playing as I lost interest but have been playing more or less constantly in the last 6 years.
My stepdad is a guitar player, so when my mom and him got married and moved in together when I was young, I was exposed to it early and really took a liking for it. This was the early 2000's, I was about 11 or 12 at the time and I grew up in the heart of the nu-metal era so that's what I wanted to play whereas my stepdad was more of a classic metalhead: Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Van Halen, Pantera, AC/DC etc. He also really likes Rush and Alex Lifeson.

He dedicated our spare bedroom for all his music equipment. He had a full Marshall stack that he'd crank up loud in the summer with all the windows down because it'd be steaming up in that bedroom in the summertime and you can hear that amp from at least two blocks down the street. Needless to say, the neighbors didn't like us and we had the cops called on us a few times. There was always music playing and loud in that house especially when I started playing, my poor mom. Anyways, one day I decided I wanted to play guitar when I was about 12-ish so I approached my stepdad and he gave me an old, cheap and beat up Squier Bullet guitar to learn on, bought me a little Marshall combo amp, and taught me the intro to Nothing Else Matters to practice and I was off to the races from there. Immediately fell in love with playing and the rest is history.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Also would you recommend open back or closed?

Well, it depends. The main purpose of the resonator is to project the sound forward, which is very important when playing unamplified and competing with a noisy bluegrass, jazz, or Irish band full of instruments. Also there is the aesthetic factor as well.

Otherwise though, the resonator does not have a ton of effect on the instrument directly. However... big consideration with sound. Even though the same banjo with or without a resonator will sound pretty much the same, resonator banjos and open back banjos are generally made differently to emphasize the sound that is wanted for their type of music. Certain things like tailpiece, bridge, head type/tension, and strings that have a big effect on tone and playability can be swapped and adjusted, but woods, tone rings, etc are very impractical to swap.

Out of all of the factors, tailpiece and head tension are make probably the biggest difference. Head tension is easily adjusted, but most open back instruments have tailpieces and other components designed to give a warmer, plunkier tone associated with old time music as opposed to the bright, piercing sound of bluegrass.

So yeah. Sound wise, that is the difference. Otherwise...

Tone ring. Resonator banjos tend to have heavier tone rings. The bell brass tone rings that are common in resonator banjos are very heavy. This means that the instrument is heavier obviously. Plus they make it more expensive. It's not a big deal either way though since many low end resonator banjos have rolled brass tone rings which takes two or three pounds off of the weight. Some low end banjos don't even have tone rings.

Also resonators themselves and their associated components such as the flange. These increase the weight by a pound or two as well, but not as much as the tone ring. Again, more components equals more expensive.

So really, it doesn't matter much. If you plan on playing either by yourself or with just a fiddle player, open back is probably a better option. If you plan on playing with a larger band or playing bluegrass, then resonator is better. Keep in mind that that only reply applies if you are picking up an instrument that you plan on performing on. Like if you're looking at the $400-1000 range. If you're looking for something under $300, and plan on upgrading when you get better, you're better off going open back because cheaper and lighter.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Speaking of many guitars, in your profile pic, there's a dark coloured hollowbody next to the sunburst with the cream coloured headstock.
Is that a Starfire IV?

Nope, Oscar Schmidt (Washburn) OE30 "Delta King"

I've heard that they were hit or miss quality-wise, but that one plays and sounds great.
Charles Darwin
I was 41. My Girlfriend left to go to the east coast, I was stuck in Iowa, alone for the winter.

I suddenly had this huge hole in my life.

I had always wanted to learn to play the guitar, ever since I was about 4. My parents were very non-supportive in this, they actively rejected any attempts I made to do anything other than sit down, shut up, and hopefully die in the process.

I realized I was 41 years old, a self-made man, and I had plenty of money. I had no idea who's permission I was still waiting for.

I asked a couple people a couple questions, went on Musician's friend, and had a guitar a couple days later.

I practiced 5 hours a day for a week until I could play a clear chord.

A week later I started actual guitar lessons, the week before Christmas.

There were days, over the next 6 months, that I played 8-10 hours a day. I was filling a void, I needed that time to heal.

6 months later, after talking to her on the phone daily for that entire 6 months, Alicia moved back. We've been together ever since, and I'm her Rock Star.
Quote by seabear70
I was 41. My Girlfriend left to go to the east coast, I was stuck in Iowa, alone for the winter.

I suddenly had this huge hole in my life.

I had always wanted to learn to play the guitar, ever since I was about 4. My parents were very non-supportive in this, they actively rejected any attempts I made to do anything other than sit down, shut up, and hopefully die in the process.

I realized I was 41 years old, a self-made man, and I had plenty of money. I had no idea who's permission I was still waiting for.

I asked a couple people a couple questions, went on Musician's friend, and had a guitar a couple days later.

I practiced 5 hours a day for a week until I could play a clear chord.

A week later I started actual guitar lessons, the week before Christmas.

There were days, over the next 6 months, that I played 8-10 hours a day. I was filling a void, I needed that time to heal.

6 months later, after talking to her on the phone daily for that entire 6 months, Alicia moved back. We've been together ever since, and I'm her Rock Star.

I didn't know you were that old. Good story though!
Charles Darwin
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
i loved the fuck out of judas priest and also i wanted to have made at least one actual life decision by the time i was 12 and playing guitar was the closest i could manage
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I was watching a music video, "Oh Howard, You Crack Me Up" by Deaf Havana. The lead guitarist, Chris Pennels, was just slamming on this white telecaster in a dark room. I was severely depressed at the time, I'd lost all interest in reading and video games, things that used to captivate me endlessly. I was occasionally thinking about suicide. Anyway, I'd seen countless videos of people playing guitar before, but the dark room reminded me of how I was feeling, yet this guy was clearly having the time of his life. For the first time in months, I thought to myself "That looks really fun". So I bought a guitar, and it changed my life.
I'd always wanted to learn guitar and my younger brother had started learning and was an annoying brat, so a few months before I turned 16, with school finished forever I borrowed my dad's old squier and some old rhythm guitar book and started to learn the basics.
I have nothing important to say
I watched a VHS of Metallica's Cunning Stunts for the first time when I was 8 years old and it was the most incredible thing I had ever heard or seen at that point. I knew immediately that this would be the sort of thing I would love forever.

A friend of mine owned this cheap Shine Rhoads V copy and I thought it was the coolest thing ever and I couldn't stop looking at it. Before I started liking that sort of thing, I hated music. All my parents would ever play was cringeworthy pop tunes from the 70's and 80's and musical numbers and until that point, that sort of thing was all I ever knew about music pretty much.

It was years later when I was 13 that my dad bought a Squier Strat and I ended up playing on that thing more than my dad ever did. The guitar is rotting away in a closet abroad these days. But that was all I needed to make guitar a lifelong passion.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
When I was 14 I heard the guitar solo from 2 minutes to midnight by Iron Maiden, and then I knew I wanted to do that.
Linkin Park -> Rage Against The Machine -> Tom Morello -> Fucking cool = me playing guitar

2003 maybe 2004? Can't remember. Bunch of mates all decided to get guitars. I think I'm the only one who still plays really.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions 1977 Started on a Yamaha acoustic. Still have it.
The first time I was ever aware of wanting to play guitar was when I heard the jangly intro to Cabron by the RHCP in the car on the way to school, just before Christmas 2003. I played the song on repeat for ages because I thought it sounded so cool... And Frusciante's bottleneck slide stuff later on in the song too. My grandparents bought me a cheap classical guitar that Christmas, and I spent the next few months trying to perfect the slide sounds with a metal screwdriver.
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
I was 7 years old and my colon ruptured (colostomy bag for over a year) and my dad took me to a KISS concert to "cheer me up" and i wanted to be Ace Frehely....so i got a cheap strat clone at the local pawnshop and sat around plucking then got me a Westone Concord SX in trans red (no one has probably heard of this guitar, i still own it).......fast forward nealry 20yrs and here we are.
Page 1 of 2