Page 1 of 2
Just wondering if there are other players out there ho do not use effects?
My signal chain GUITAR -- TUNER -- AMP (with channel pedal)

Its not that i don't like pedals, i just like to keep it simple.
I get its not for every genre.
I used to. Got too boring. I like having lots of tones available.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I can go either way. Right now I'm on a big pedal-buying spree that I'll probably make a thread about once I finish my board, but until that's ready, since I don't have everything wired up it's usually easier just to run straight into my Twin and I'm totally in love with the sound of my Tele's neck pickup straight into that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I used to be but only because I couldn't afford quality pedals. Having only one particular sound even if its a good one, does get boring after a while.

Once I got a well-paid job, I went on a frenzy of buying them and I'll never look back on not having them again.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 5, 2016,
gotta at least have my overdrive. i can get by with that and my wha which is fairly simple if need be. my board only has a delay and a phaser to go along with the other 2 pedals so again fairly simple. i agree that having a little variety keep things from getting boring. i do make adjustments from my guitar (especially my strat) but i do like a little icing on the cake.
I play without pedals most of the time. I try to use my pedals in moderation.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
For a long time I haven't really plugged in, and when I do its right into the amp and thats thats, but I do have a whammy, a flanger, a few delays(I was looking for the right one) , a wah and who knows what else hanging around. I have to be in the mood to use them,and there are certain ehx pedals that seem like they would be really fun to have, but when you're over someones house who has a guitar and they know you play you don't have pedals. You better have skills.Skills, and a portable headstock tuner because people do not keep the banger guitars in any way shape or form musical. They're in luck, because let me tell you, I have a portable tuner!
Depends on the job. I like using them but when pushed I can get by and do a gig without them. As a matter of fact my band has one gig a month at an very upscale restaurant where I rarely use anything but the reverb in the amp. Good question.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Lately I've been enjoying not using any pedals - it's nice to be able to just plug in and play. I can get the variety of tones I need by simply adjusting the controls on the guitar.

When I do use pedals, they are really only for minor embellishments to the basic tone that's being generated by the guitar and the amp, rather than a major feature of a specific type of tone. I still use the controls on my guitar a lot, even with a lot of pedals.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Mostly I just plug and play, but I have pedals to use when I feel like it.

I generally feel that pedals can make something decent better, but they won't turn shite into gold. So when I'm 'writing', effects come at the end.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
My signal chain is Guitar -> Amp -> USB Interface -> PC.
Mostly because I don't have the dosh or skill to utilize anything else yet.
The most complex I've ever gone is Guitar -> Amp -> USB Interface -> PC (running distortion software, virtualized pedals, and vintage amp emulation) -> Amp 2. Got sick of the latency and decided to drop all of that until I figure out what I'm doing with guitar in the first place.
Is it still simple if I have a compressor and overdrive always on? I don't tap dance. I just use the controls on my guitars. And even if effect pedals are the definition of simple, what does that mean for someone who has a Mark V with the 8-button footswitch. Someone with a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia with a few pedals isn't going to get as many sounds as someone plugging straight into a Mark V. I currently use modelling but my main patch is just amp, reverb, compressor, and OD that are always on. Does that count as a simple rig? Even if I decided to use other effects, the rig is still technically simple since I'm not adding anything. I'm just programming it differently.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Is it still simple if I have a compressor and overdrive always on? I don't tap dance. I just use the controls on my guitars. And even if effect pedals are the definition of simple, what does that mean for someone who has a Mark V with the 8-button footswitch. Someone with a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia with a few pedals isn't going to get as many sounds as someone plugging straight into a Mark V. I currently use modelling but my main patch is just amp, reverb, compressor, and OD that are always on. Does that count as a simple rig? Even if I decided to use other effects, the rig is still technically simple since I'm not adding anything. I'm just programming it differently.
I would argue that the opposite of 'simple' in this context is 'dynamic.' Since you're not actively changing yours by, say, stepping on pedals, I'd say it's not dynamic and therefore simple.
Just my two cents.
i've run that way for some time.

tho my amp typically has reverb and two channels.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I have owned a TON of pedals, multi effects units, and a few rack effects.

I find that the vast majority of pedals are unusable, at least in a live setting, and are really just novelties or for recording use only

The only things that are all but glued to my board are a good boost pedal (OCD in my case) Boss delay, Boss chorus, and a good ol eventide harmonizer. Other than that things change from time to time.

For the most part i just play with the ocd and delay into a micro terror into a good 69 super lead 4x12.
When i gigged i always kept it simple,Just wah,delay and 3 channel valve amp.Now i don't gig i just run into an OD and into the amp.It's all i need although i want a fuzz now for a Jimmy tone.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I used to. Got too boring. I like having lots of tones available.

and by tones you means different levels of overdrive, or effects?
I have about 20 different pedals lying on the floor plugged into several amps. With four guitars on the wall and a few seated on the couch. lol. I guess simple went out the window long ago... Haha.

If I needed to streamline as much as possible i could get by with an OD and delay.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I started putting my GT-8 aside most of the time since I got my Laney IRT Studio... Tube amp with nice dirty channel + boost and reverb is more than OK for most of my home playing.

However, I still should have the GT-8 and never thought about selling it or something. Sometimes I feel I want to play with some delay, wah, or chorus.

I love simplicity and that's why I thought about selling the GT-8 and just buy few pedals that I usually need (Wah, NS, and Delay) but I then asked myself, why to lose so many effects and pay a difference to get few pedals? So I am keeping the GT-8.. so far
'12 Gibson '58 Re-issue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM (With Upgrades)
Laney IRT Studio (IRT112 Cab)
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
BOSS GT-8
Quote by Vincesax

Tones means tones. Overdrives, modulations, filters and what have you are all part of that.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I have a decent pedal board going, mostly BOSS and Ibanez stuff, chorus, reverb, EQ, noise gate, wah, tuner, and TS9.

Mostly I use the TS9 infront of the amp, with the tuner on the line out from my Mesa so I can kill the amp with the Roadster footswitch and send signal to the tuner. The Mesa has good reverb, I am looking to buy a good delay. Until a few weeks ago I did not have the Roadster footswitch so changing channels was a hassel and I rarely used the 2 clean channels, now that I have the switch I find I am using the pedalboard more.

Way back when when they first came out I bought an ART 2000 with the Ultrafoot pedalboard, it was awesome and I loved using it at home where I ran it through a KMD powered 1x12 cabinet. When I tried using in a band setting I didn't like it and ended up runnning a tuner, noise gate and TS9 only in my signal chain. I also used a BBE sonic maximizer in the loop I still have it but now that I have better quality amps it is collecting dust.

Generally I keep a fairly simple signal chain.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 6, 2016,
Depending on what style of music you're playing, and the role you play in the band, plugging directly into the amp is something that works for some but would be impossible for others. There's no "right way", do what gives you a tone that pleases you.

Classic rock and country are two genres where you'll see a decent number of guitarists going straight-in. In a classic/southern rock covers outfit I'm with, my co-guitarist does just that - mostly Les Pauls going straight into either a 50 or 100 watt vintage Plexi. Of course, he does use an attenuator for smaller gigs so he doesn't massacre the first 3 rows of the audience.

The key to this approach, and quite frankly something more younger, modern guitarists overlook, is manipulating the volume knob to control volume and gain (and don't forget about your tone knobs, too!).
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by Vincesax at #33913192

I don't need pedals to get different levels of overdrive. I have a volume knob on my guitar for that. What I don't have on my guitar is chorus, delays etc... So I use pedals for those obviously.

I mean if I'm hacking away at old Freddie King songs or in one of my Bluesbreakers kicks I don't want or need any effects but I like having them for everything else. A bit of delay to color a lead tone, or maybe a bit of chorus in a clean tone when I'm playing metal etc... It all depends on what I want to achieve.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by sjones
Depending on what style of music you're playing, and the role you play in the band, plugging directly into the amp is something that works for some but would be impossible for others. There's no "right way", do what gives you a tone that pleases you.

Classic rock and country are two genres where you'll see a decent number of guitarists going straight-in. In a classic/southern rock covers outfit I'm with, my co-guitarist does just that - mostly Les Pauls going straight into either a 50 or 100 watt vintage Plexi. Of course, he does use an attenuator for smaller gigs so he doesn't massacre the first 3 rows of the audience.

The key to this approach, and quite frankly something more younger, modern guitarists overlook, is manipulating the volume knob to control volume and gain (and don't forget about your tone knobs, too!).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XU0YeQ0ADA
Quote by Diemon Dave
They call it a tone knob because your tone gets worse when you turn it down.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Vincesax
Just wondering if there are other players out there ho do not use effects?
My signal chain GUITAR -- TUNER -- AMP (with channel pedal)

Its not that i don't like pedals, i just like to keep it simple.
I get its not for every genre.

I started out trying a lot of different pedals and stuff but as time went on I started dumping more and more of it and now I run a totally clean signal with just a touch of reverb. As I read up on some of my favorite guitar players from back in the day I see most of them were running a clean setup and just using the amp and their own style to get the tone they wanted.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Also because you shouldn't touch your knob in public.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I just plug straight into the amp at present with a bit of reverb. I do like delay and using swell type effects, so am looking at getting a Strymon Timeline (bit pricey) or summat of that ilk.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

This is so true!!!!!!!!
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

For humbuckers that is pretty much true
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
For humbuckers that is pretty much true

No.

My main guitar is an HSS Strat with a JB Jr. in the bridge, and the tone knob is very useful when I want to roll off a little high end for a dirty rhythm, especially one that might be going under a solo. In a more meta-sense, if you find your tone is just slightly too bright, it's much easier and gives you more tonal options if you simply roll back on tone a little.

I've found over time that if the only good tones I can get are with volume and tones dimed on a guitar, my tone overall is probably too dark.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Apr 7, 2016,
Quote by sjones
I've found over time that if the only good tones I can get are with volume and tones dimed on a guitar, my tone overall is probably too dark.

Which wouldn't happen if you stopped using humbuckers
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by sjones at #33915257
No.

My main guitar is an HSS Strat with a JB Jr. in the bridge, and the tone knob is very useful when I want to roll off a little high end for a dirty rhythm, especially one that might be going under a solo. In a more meta-sense, if you find your tone is just slightly too bright, it's much easier and gives you more tonal options if you simply roll back on tone a little.

Totally agree.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Which wouldn't happen if you stopped using humbuckers

not sure if being sarcastic in a friendly or dickish way...

Any way you shape it - singles, hums, P90's - if you're only getting good tone with your volume and tone knob(s) maxed out, your tone is probably a bit too dark and wanting some in the highs/high-mids.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by sjones

Any way you shape it - singles, hums, P90's - if you're only getting good tone with your volume and tone knob(s) maxed out, your tone is probably a bit too dark and wanting some in the highs/high-mids.

You can lead a horse to water brother..........

100% agreed.
Quote by sjones

I like to think the former, but it's all down to how it looks to the reader in the end

Quote by sjones

For sure. My (largely facetious) point was that, with the exception of Filtertron-style pickups and whatever wannabe EMGs were on the LTD I had for a while last year, humbuckers have always tended to be darker than I'd like. The singlecoil-equipped guitars I've played, meanwhile, have had very usable tone controls with good sounds right from one end of the adjustment range to the other. Chances are I'd feel differently about plenty of the aforementioned humbuckers if I ran them through my current amp (which I mention incessantly enough that a few of you might have figured out what it is )
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
My music "hobby" has to be self-sustaining due to my kid that REQUIRES food like.. several times a day. I can only buy new gear with gig money or if I sell something, so my stuff is simple by necessity. It's helpful though, cause you really learn your gear without hiding the inherent qualities of your guitar or amp with pre-amp effects.......

So basically what I'm trying to say is, I wish I could afford pedals.
Simple signal chains are more common than you might think!

I have quite a number of pedals, but I don't use them all that much. I used to use an overdrive pedal as a boost, but ever since I bought an ENGL several years back, I find it unnecessary - at least with that amp. If anything, my "main" pedal I use is probably an ISP Decimator . I do like a touch of modulation effects on top of clean tones, though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Page 1 of 2