Originally posted in Setup Q&A, but I suppose this isn't very closely related to setup.
Quote by MasterStohner
I've got a lot of buzz when I'm anywhere near by Compaq FS740 (oldie CRT monitor) and using only a single pickup on my JT-300. Degaussing causes a massive spike in noise followed by a slight temporary decrease, so I'm almost certain it's a magnetic field issue. There's also some cross-interference with my cell phone, but that's unrelated.

So, is there any way I can reduce or eliminate this noise without turning off my monitor or using multiple pickups?
Demonstration: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1j230qrKuYT

Order of events:
Switch starts in 4th/bridge+mid position
Switch moved to 5th/bridge position
Switch moved through 4th/bridge+mid position very briefly
Switch moved to 3rd/mid position
Switch moved through 2nd/mid+neck position very briefly
Switch moved to 1st/neck position
Monitor degaussed
Monitor turned off
Monitor turned on
Switch moved to 2nd/mid+neck position
-end

4 note riff first in 2nd position and then in first, at same level as the noise recording:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1GODjBHfsYC

It is worth note that I get a small amount of noise under similar conditions from my cell phone (LG Sunrise), and an occasional 'tap' from my kindle Fire HD6.
Quote by MasterStohner
I suppose this isn't very closely related to setup.

As the Germans would say - doch.

Your guitar has single coil pickups. They pick up interference, be it TVs, cell phones, or the occasional Greek radio station. There's not a huge amount you can do without replacing the pickups (humbuckers were invented for this purpose, though these days there are also noiseless single coils), but I'm not sure that would be cost-effective on that guitar. The reason using multiple pickups gets rid of the noise is that the middle pickup is reverse wound and reverse polarity, so when you have two pickups selected the noise from each cancels out the other.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As the Germans would say - doch.

Your guitar has single coil pickups. They pick up interference, be it TVs, cell phones, or the occasional Greek radio station. There's not a huge amount you can do without replacing the pickups (humbuckers were invented for this purpose, though these days there are also noiseless single coils), but I'm not sure that would be cost-effective on that guitar. The reason using multiple pickups gets rid of the noise is that the middle pickup is reverse wound and reverse polarity, so when you have two pickups selected the noise from each cancels out the other.
Well, at least I learned something today. I didn't know before why they canceled noise, so thank you.
Other than that, I kind of suspected there'd be no other solution, but hoped for something such as DIY shielding or somesuch. The other big issue is that the pickup selector switch is in pretty bad shape, and occasionally falls to the bottom so I'm only on the bridge pickup.
Think I'll just save up for a new guitar, the ones I have my eye on have humbuckers by default.
Copper shielding of the control cavity is often used to mitigate interference, but single coils are still going to have some noise inherently, and it sounds like your space has quite a lot of interference. There are plenty of noiseless single coil pickups and systems out there but it sounds like you're not going down that route.
Shielding the inside (with copper shielding tape) may well help, but with traditional (i.e. non-noiseless) single coils picking up interference is a fact of life.

EDIT: I guess I got beat to that post, but yeah. Noiseless would certainly be an option if you wanted the singlecoil sound, but probably too expensive to justify on a guitar that price.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
You can give shielding a go -- I have very little interference on single coils on guitars that have had a thorough copper tape shielding done, but playing next to a lot of neon signs or an ice machine compressor will undo that in a hurry.
I might try that shielding thing. I cranked up the volume and gain on my amp, and even on two pickups I still get that spike when I degauss, though the passive interference is far less. And yeah, the guitar isn't worth nearly enough to invest in new pickups. If anything, I'd probably move the center pickup down and make myself a ghetto humbucker (you can do that, right?) though even that wouldn't totally solve my problem since the two pickups together don't actually completely null out the interference. The monitor is the main thing, I don't get very much audible interference from anything else, and the interference from my Kindle and cell phone seem to be rather close in proximity, whereas the monitor's interference pretty much covers my whole room.

So, yeah, I'll quite possibly try the shielding, possibly move my middle pickup down to the bridge and have a sort of ghetto humbucker there (but probably not), and save up for a new guitar.
Thanks, guys.
/thread

UPDATE: Got some copper tape from my guitar repair guy, installed it myself and redid a shoddy ground wire. The shielding seems to have helped.
Last edited by MasterStohner at Apr 9, 2016,