I'm looking for a speaker cabinet for my VHT Special 6 Head. I play mainly blues (John Mayer). I would like to keep cost under 300 euros. Keep in mind that i live in Europe and i can't buy every brand an American customer would be able to buy. Any ideas?
What are you looking for, more specifically? 1x12, 2x12, 4x12? Open back or closed?

You have a lot of options in your price range for 1x12 and 2x12 cabs through Thomann.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
What are you looking for, more specifically? 1x12, 2x12, 4x12? Open back or closed?

You have a lot of options in your price range for 1x12 and 2x12 cabs through Thomann.

I have no idea. Whatever sounds best i guess. The cab will be used exclusively at home btw.
^^ yeah. you might want to buy an unloaded cab (or one with cheap speakers) since for those tones I'd personally imagine that there's not going to be that much available pre-loaded with suitable speakers. You just want to make sure it's actually a decent cabinet which is made of plywood. I'd probably want open-backed for that too (but there's no accounting for taste).

harley benton g112 vintage might be worth a try. it's about the price of a cheap 112 but is plywood and has a good speaker too. that speaker wouldn't be my choice for those tones but you could sell it or just keep it as a spare good speaker. and then maybe put in a jensen or maybe an eminence legend 1258 or something from the patriot series.

i should add that i haven't tried that cabinet, just the 2x12.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thomann has a Harley Benton G212 "vintage guitar box" loaded with a pair of Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. 222 Euro's on the website. Problem solved.

2x12 should be small enough for home use, big enough to gig with if you ever decide to.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
i'm not sure i'd want a 2x12 closed-back cab loaded with v30s for mayer-style blues, but that's just me. also the vht has no master volume so i'm not sure using pretty much the loudest common guitar speaker in existence is a good idea for home use.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If his budget were a bit higher, I would recommend that he pick up a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112e cabinet, but those are above his price range. He might be able to find one used for under his price-point, but I don't know where to point him in that regard as I don't know the European Used market all that well.

So the recommendation I made was for a celestion loaded plywood cab. At least that way the speakers are quality enough to sell for something different if he doesn't like the Vintage 30. Not sure if the open-back or closed-back thing makes that huge of a difference at bedroom levels.
Thanks for all the answers. I think i'm going for the Harley Benton G112 Vintage. It seems to get good reviews.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ yeah. you might want to buy an unloaded cab (or one with cheap speakers) since for those tones I'd personally imagine that there's not going to be that much available pre-loaded with suitable speakers. You just want to make sure it's actually a decent cabinet which is made of plywood. I'd probably want open-backed for that too (but there's no accounting for taste).

harley benton g112 vintage might be worth a try. it's about the price of a cheap 112 but is plywood and has a good speaker too. that speaker wouldn't be my choice for those tones but you could sell it or just keep it as a spare good speaker. and then maybe put in a jensen or maybe an eminence legend 1258 or something from the patriot series.

i should add that i haven't tried that cabinet, just the 2x12.

I just found a Fender Super Champ 112 cab for 60 euros (new). Is this better than the Harley Benton?
Last edited by thegillv at Apr 7, 2016,
The speaker in the fender cab I believe is a Celestion 70/80 which is a a low/midrange guitar speaker in terms of quality, the V30 is definitely better. Also the HBG112 is also an open back which I prefer for clean and blues type guitar. For the price you could get both and then you would have a closed back cab for some added low end and an open back to let the sound breathe. I think you can get both and still be under your budget.
Did you find it in a store or online? If in a nearby store, ask if you can bring your amp in and test out the cab. If you like it, whip out the wallet. If not, keep hunting.

The HB cab is going to be a bit bulkier, whereas the Fender cab is pretty compact. The Vintage 30 is a higher quality speaker that holds value better, but whether or not it works better for you is completely subjective. You might like the cheaper 70/80 speaker, which works fairly well for clean tones. The 70/80 or G12P-80 as Fender has it labeled is not well liked for gain tones.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Did you find it in a store or online? If in a nearby store, ask if you can bring your amp in and test out the cab. If you like it, whip out the wallet. If not, keep hunting.

The HB cab is going to be a bit bulkier, whereas the Fender cab is pretty compact. The Vintage 30 is a higher quality speaker that holds value better, but whether or not it works better for you is completely subjective. You might like the cheaper 70/80 speaker, which works fairly well for clean tones. The 70/80 or G12P-80 as Fender has it labeled is not well liked for gain tones.

Found it online. I could swap out the speakers in the Fender cab. Is the cabinet of the Fender decent enough quality?
Honestly, I'm sure it would work fine. However...

Let me just add, don't settle on a cab for the sake of getting a cab. I encourage you to hold off a bit, save up some more money and buy a really nice quality cab that you can enjoy for many years on end. The last thing you want to do is settle, find out in time that you aren't crazy about it, spend more money, and then still not be happy. Save up the cash, and get the cab you really want.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Honestly, I'm sure it would work fine. However...

Let me just add, don't settle on a cab for the sake of getting a cab. I encourage you to hold off a bit, save up some more money and buy a really nice quality cab that you can enjoy for many years on end. The last thing you want to do is settle, find out in time that you aren't crazy about it, spend more money, and then still not be happy. Save up the cash, and get the cab you really want.

Which cab do you recommend i should save up for?
Well, it looks like John Mayer is a fan of Two-Rock amps and cabs. There are some European dealers if you check out their website.

The make a 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Creamback speaker, which would be all kinds of delicious.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Well, it looks like John Mayer is a fan of Two-Rock amps and cabs. There are some European dealers if you check out their website.

The make a 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Creamback speaker, which would be all kinds of delicious.

Pretty expensive, but worth it i guess. I might just save up for one.
^ No, it's not. IMO. (see below)

Quote by ThunderPunk
If his budget were a bit higher, I would recommend that he pick up a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112e cabinet, but those are above his price range. He might be able to find one used for under his price-point, but I don't know where to point him in that regard as I don't know the European Used market all that well.

So the recommendation I made was for a celestion loaded plywood cab. At least that way the speakers are quality enough to sell for something different if he doesn't like the Vintage 30. Not sure if the open-back or closed-back thing makes that huge of a difference at bedroom levels.

is the hrd cabinet any better? is it even plywood? EDIT: apparently it's plywood, but as you said it has a mediocre stock speaker and costs 3 times what the HB cab does.

seriously, it's hard to beat those harley benton cabs at the prices they go for in europe, and the 1x12 i mentioned is open-backed, plywood, and has a v30 (either to keep or to sell to recoup some of the costs of a more suitable speaker for the tones he wants).

I'm not sure it's worth spending any more. He has a VHT special 6 head. That's a pretty cheap amp already. Obviously this is just my opinion, but saving up for a two rock cabinet is just crazy, considering the other gear he has.

that two rock cabinet costs £600.

His amp costs £150.

that cabinet costs 4 times what his amp does. it's not going to make it sound 4 times better.

and amp that costs 4 times as much actually might sound 4 times better. When such time comes around as he has £600 to spare I'd spend that on a new amp, not the cabinet.

i'd get the HB 1x12 cabinet now (£90, so less than his amp), and either sell the v30 and upgrade the speaker (he might get £50 back on the speaker if he's lucky, or maybe £30) to say a Jensen ceramic series (a c12q is £38 on thomann, and if it's anythign like the c10q i have (in a vht special 6 ) it should work for what he wants), or else just use the stock speaker and not worry about it. that way he has something to use now without totally blowing his budget for a possible future upgrade.

Sorry to bang on about this but I just think the advice you gave there was very poor- you've virtually talked him into spending tons of money when there's little or no point. In my opinion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 7, 2016,
Dave_Mc

I don't disagree with you. The Harley Benton cab is an ideal "right now" purchase. It's cheap. Good speakers. Ply construction, though probably not as heavy duty as other companies. I simply raised the question if that is what he ultimately wants. I suggested the Two-Rock just on the fact that he is a Mayer fan. Is it over-priced... maybe? According to you, maybe not to someone else. Could he find a marshall, fender, orange, etc., for less? Probably. Are those cabs just as good, sure. The point I am making is to not just settle for something that you might end up not being happy with down the line... and then saying, I wish I would have saved and got something else. Every musician has that moment: schnikes, all the bucks here and there I spent on stuff that I settled for could have been put toward something different. It's life. But, sometimes making someone stop and think, do I want the right now item or should I save for something else can make them have fewer regrets down the line.

You also bring up the nature of his amp. Maybe that should raise a better question. Perhaps he should save up for a combo amp rather than just buying a cab for his current amp. But, that wasn't the question. It's all poking in the dark as far as I am concerned. He has options galore, he can save up for something else, he could pull the trig on the HB. At the end of the day, he has to live with it, play it, and look at it. He can get the right now option. He can save up and consider other options.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ No, it's not. IMO. (see below)

is the hrd cabinet any better? is it even plywood? EDIT: apparently it's plywood, but as you said it has a mediocre stock speaker and costs 3 times what the HB cab does.

seriously, it's hard to beat those harley benton cabs at the prices they go for in europe, and the 1x12 i mentioned is open-backed, plywood, and has a v30 (either to keep or to sell to recoup some of the costs of a more suitable speaker for the tones he wants).

I'm not sure it's worth spending any more. He has a VHT special 6 head. That's a pretty cheap amp already. Obviously this is just my opinion, but saving up for a two rock cabinet is just crazy, considering the other gear he has.

that two rock cabinet costs £600.

His amp costs £150.

that cabinet costs 4 times what his amp does. it's not going to make it sound 4 times better.

and amp that costs 4 times as much actually might sound 4 times better. When such time comes around as he has £600 to spare I'd spend that on a new amp, not the cabinet.

i'd get the HB 1x12 cabinet now (£90, so less than his amp), and either sell the v30 and upgrade the speaker (he might get £50 back on the speaker if he's lucky, or maybe £30) to say a Jensen ceramic series (a c12q is £38 on thomann, and if it's anythign like the c10q i have (in a vht special 6 ) it should work for what he wants), or else just use the stock speaker and not worry about it. that way he has something to use now without totally blowing his budget for a possible future upgrade.

Sorry to bang on about this but I just think the advice you gave there was very poor- you've virtually talked him into spending tons of money when there's little or no point. In my opinion.

Will my VHT Special 6 Head sound better with the Harley Benton vs the VHT Special 6 Combo with a speaker change? I can still swap the head for the combo if i would like to.
Last edited by thegillv at Apr 8, 2016,
^ That's an interesting question. I haven't specifically tried that HB cab (I have the 2x12) but having tried my vht special 6 (the combo version) with upgraded speakers (an eminence copperhead and a jensen c10q) and also plugged it into extension cabinets (i have an epiphone valve junior cabinet with an eminence legend 1258 which I'm guessing is broadly similar to the HB g112 vintage cabinet, at least if the speaker were swapped in the HB cabinet; I also have 2x12 cabinets but that's not really a fair test) I'd be inclined to say, unless you know you really like 10" speakers, I'd say the 12" speaker in a decent extension cab would likely sound better. I'd be inclined to stick with your head and get the HB cabinet (and maybe swap the speakers if you don't think the v30 is suitable for the tones you want... you'll get a bit of cash back on the V30 if you can be bothered selling it).

Apart from anything else you'd really ideally want to swap the speaker in the VHT combo (though now i think of it from what I remember the stock speaker was actually ok for cleaner tones, it's just it was a bit tinny for dirtier tones) and you probably won't get any money back on the stock VHT speaker.

Quote by ThunderPunk
Dave_Mc

I don't disagree with you. The Harley Benton cab is an ideal "right now" purchase. It's cheap. Good speakers. Ply construction, though probably not as heavy duty as other companies. I simply raised the question if that is what he ultimately wants. I suggested the Two-Rock just on the fact that he is a Mayer fan. Is it over-priced... maybe? According to you, maybe not to someone else. Could he find a marshall, fender, orange, etc., for less? Probably. Are those cabs just as good, sure. The point I am making is to not just settle for something that you might end up not being happy with down the line... and then saying, I wish I would have saved and got something else. Every musician has that moment: schnikes, all the bucks here and there I spent on stuff that I settled for could have been put toward something different. It's life. But, sometimes making someone stop and think, do I want the right now item or should I save for something else can make them have fewer regrets down the line.

You also bring up the nature of his amp. Maybe that should raise a better question. Perhaps he should save up for a combo amp rather than just buying a cab for his current amp. But, that wasn't the question. It's all poking in the dark as far as I am concerned. He has options galore, he can save up for something else, he could pull the trig on the HB. At the end of the day, he has to live with it, play it, and look at it. He can get the right now option. He can save up and consider other options.

i absolutely agree with saving up for the thing you really want but with three caveats: 1) is that thing actually sensible (i.e. the best use of your money) and 2) how long will it take you to save up- would something "good enough" that you can afford now be a better plan than something which is a little better but which might take ages to save for? and 3) how much will buying the "good enough" thing now eat into his budget for the thing he really wants.

if you ask me the HB vintage g112 sort of satisfies all of those. If it cost 90% of the two rock cab, or alternatively if it cost what it currently does but was way worse than the two rock cab, then I'd agree with you. But I don't think either is the case.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ That's an interesting question. I haven't specifically tried that HB cab (I have the 2x12) but having tried my vht special 6 (the combo version) with upgraded speakers (an eminence copperhead and a jensen c10q) and also plugged it into extension cabinets (i have an epiphone valve junior cabinet with an eminence legend 1258 which I'm guessing is broadly similar to the HB g112 vintage cabinet, at least if the speaker were swapped in the HB cabinet; I also have 2x12 cabinets but that's not really a fair test) I'd be inclined to say, unless you know you really like 10" speakers, I'd say the 12" speaker in a decent extension cab would likely sound better. I'd be inclined to stick with your head and get the HB cabinet (and maybe swap the speakers if you don't think the v30 is suitable for the tones you want... you'll get a bit of cash back on the V30 if you can be bothered selling it).

Apart from anything else you'd really ideally want to swap the speaker in the VHT combo (though now i think of it from what I remember the stock speaker was actually ok for cleaner tones, it's just it was a bit tinny for dirtier tones) and you probably won't get any money back on the stock VHT speaker.

i absolutely agree with saving up for the thing you really want but with three caveats: 1) is that thing actually sensible (i.e. the best use of your money) and 2) how long will it take you to save up- would something "good enough" that you can afford now be a better plan than something which is a little better but which might take ages to save for? and 3) how much will buying the "good enough" thing now eat into his budget for the thing he really wants.

if you ask me the HB vintage g112 sort of satisfies all of those. If it cost 90% of the two rock cab, or alternatively if it cost what it currently does but was way worse than the two rock cab, then I'd agree with you. But I don't think either is the case.

Ok, thanks. I'll probably buy the HB G112 Vintage and replace the speaker. Next thread: "Speaker for Harley Benton G112 Vintage."
no problem, i hope i helped a little.

i'd wait until you get the cab just in case you like the vintage 30. v30s take a while to break in, too.

though if you're getting both from thomann getting the speaker at the same time will save on postage costs so it might be worth it. if you get over the price of the free postage with both (it'll be touch and go, you might need a few packs of strings or something to get you over, though if you don't already have a speaker cable that'll help get you over it, the cordial ones are nice and not too dear) that would save you 20 euros overall on postage which is halfway to affording the jensen speaker i mentioned

the price on those eminence legends has rocketed though, unfortunately. I think I paid around £40 for my 1258 IIRC, they seem to be £70 now. That makes the jensens a lot cheaper.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
no problem, i hope i helped a little.

i'd wait until you get the cab just in case you like the vintage 30. v30s take a while to break in, too.

though if you're getting both from thomann getting the speaker at the same time will save on postage costs so it might be worth it. if you get over the price of the free postage with both (it'll be touch and go, you might need a few packs of strings or something to get you over, though if you don't already have a speaker cable that'll help get you over it, the cordial ones are nice and not too dear) that would save you 20 euros overall on postage which is halfway to affording the jensen speaker i mentioned

the price on those eminence legends has rocketed though, unfortunately. I think I paid around £40 for my 1258 IIRC, they seem to be £70 now. That makes the jensens a lot cheaper.

Still haven't bought any cab. I just found a new Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112 Cab for 250 euros (200 Gbp). This over the Harley Benton?
it's up to you. i haven't tried it. it's double the price of the HB and has a worse speaker (even if the HB speaker isn't suitable for the music you play you should be able to sell it for at least some money).

but it's possible the actual cab is made better, i genuinely don't know as i haven't tried one.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?