Anybody have any idea what this guitar might be? It's in an old school case looks like 1920s, 1930s. Has star on the headstock. Some binding design. No paper in the sound hole. Maybe Willie Nelsons old guitar? Haha. Any help on what it might be or what it looks like would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

very interesting...

0 or 00 size, rope purfling, crooked star, fret wire saddle, bridge has been pulled/worked/pined.
mahogany, not bookmatched, wide kerfing, tucked back braces, bound soundhole, body symmetry looks good. a bit of a budget model (no binding on the back, no bookmatching) but not quite a budget model. that bridge is odd -it may have been an old replacement.

that rope purfling is kinda big. makes me think european. you're probably right about the age or even earlier but would depend upon the top's bracing. ladder vs x-bracing.

do you know what the bracing looks like underneath the top?

headstock has a bit of a peak to it rather then the normal flat face we usually see.

washburn, lyon-healy, bruno, etc,.. all would have stamped their name into the back of the headstock.

probably not a larson built. the quality isn't there.

any pix of the tuners from the side?

any mfg stamping/stuff on the case hardware?

close up pick of the binding? it looks celluloid.

possibly a euro no-brand, american ghost builder made for a department store, or handmade (rather well)

very interesting

post it on the unofficial martin guitar forum and let them chew on it.

do contact steve at vintage parlors.com he's probably seen almost all of them anyway. let us know what you find out
Last edited by ad_works at Apr 6, 2016,
No markings stamped on it anywhere I can find. I'll post it up on the Martin forum and see what I can find out. Does seem like an interesting one. Thanks for insight.
Quote by reelbigfish2020
No markings stamped on it anywhere I can find. I'll post it up on the Martin forum and see what I can find out. Does seem like an interesting one. Thanks for insight.

try vintage parlors.com first. if you're not already a member of UMGF, it may take you a couple of months to get approved to post.
Yeah, I have no idea whats up with this UMGF site. Wants me to send a message in lurk mode after creating an account so an admin can see me and then debate on approval. Think I did it, but have no idea what they are talking about... site is already weirding me out.

What is the vintage parlors website? Is it a forum or just individual? Trying to search for it. Thanks.
really cool parlor!

http://www.vintageparlorguitars.com (not vintage guitars) is owned by steve, and he REALLY knows his parlors. he buys and sells them, so he sees many. he repairs them himself, and he's also a nice, helpful guy. when i had shoulder issues and couldn't play a large guitar, he sent me a small guitar to play - no charge, he trusted me. i really appreciated it, and he would probably get a kick out of seeing your pics since he just loves little guitars.

we know steve as he hangs out at the acoustic guitar forum, btw,

jedistar is, as Bikewer says, a great resource that you can pretty much get lost in.

btw, a few years ago it took me a couple months to get approved for the UMGF.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 6, 2016,
A nice old parlour guitar. I would guess it was made in the early part of 20th century and is probably European.
^^^ As the bridge is set up now I think iit is Hawaiian/lap steel. Does parlor include those? I had a parallel example a year or two back - someone came into my mate's shop with what he claimed was an old Gibson L-00. It wasn't, it was an HG-00, the Hawaiian equivalent.

rbf2020, is it ladder braced?
if I'm not mistaken, those star headstock guitars were sold thru the Sears catalog back in the 50's and 60's and later. a Regal Parlor methinks
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Apr 7, 2016,
i'm not expert, but it looks too old to be a harmony to me.

here's the unofficial harmony guitars database, and it's pretty searchable http://harmony.demont.net/

reelbigfish2020, did you get a chance to email steve?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Last edited by patticake at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by patticake
i'm not expert, but it looks too old to be a harmony to me.

Well, other trades and products use what is called "accelerated aging processes", in an attempt to have something to tell their customers about how long their product will, (tentatively", remain serviceable.

So, (should that instrument turn out to be a Harmony), 60 years of "accelerated aging", (usually termed as "abuse"), might be enough to present that instrument as, "aged beyond its years".

Just playing the devil's advocate here.....
Thanks for cross posting that for me. Feel free to share some more photos or if you need any others let me know!
supertone -maybe but their headstocks were flat ended. the op's has an open book/tent shape.

the case looks supertoneish though.
reelbigfish2020.....I'm looking at a picture of my Grandfather playing one very simular. The picture was taken about 1919.  The guitar he owned was an old Harmony brand guitar including the star on headstock, according to multiple familly members he purchaced it new for $2.95......!