After spending a lot of time searching for a good affordable high gain tube amplifier, I stumbled across the Zoom G5 preamp/multi effects pedal. I'm a little reluctant to spend the money on one simply because it's digital. I used to use a fender mustang 3 which is also a digital modeling amp, and even after countless hours of dialing in my own presets, I was never happy with the sound of it (distortion sounds way too artificial for me). I know the Zoom G5 has tubes in it, so it should theoretically sound more "real" than the fender mustang, but I'm not sure yet.

Do any of you have any experience with this pedal? If so, could you tell me your opinion on it? And maybe recommend something similar if you dislike it.

And also, does it take additional pedals well? Like if I wanted to plug a separate chorus, delay, wah, etc into it, would it sound good?
1. I would not recommend using the G5 to get professional amp and distortion simulation. I have the G3. For bedroom tones, low-key gigs, and beginner recording, it is reasonable. For anything more, I generally suggest POD HD500 and up for amp and distortion sim.

2. The general consensus is that with single-tube units like the G5, the tube does not do much of anything, really. I have not tried the G5 but I doubt you will get the same quality of tones from it as you would a physical, all-tube amp. A lot of amps and pedals that are "hybrid" amps or have a single tube in are really just a marketing gimmick. Some of them are good, some of them are bad.

3. I suggest to get a physical tube amp for the br00tz (if you're talking metal, Peavey 6505; if hard rock, something Marshall), and use a Zoom G3 for delay, reverb, modulation, etc. With both the G3 and G5 you can use patches which allow you to save a lot of setups of 6 different pedals (G3) or 9 (G5). There is a few milliseconds of delay between patch changing. The G3 allows 3 effects on the screen, the G5 allows 4. Also a lot of high-gain players are using computer software now too, that may be an option for you to look into as well. But the good stuff is not that cheap.
Its a handy pedal and lotsa bang for your bucks but I think you're asking too much. However, if you do get a good amp, check out the Line 6 M9. The M9 doesn't have any amp or cab models, its just a straight mfx, though it does have a looper. But it sounds far better than the Zoom with a live amp, especially in the fx loop with a dedicated dirt pedal in front. Nothing against the Zoom though, I dig that pedal as sorta a swiss army knife for electric guitar practice.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
You won't get anywhere near with digital multifx especially in the lower priced ones. The G5 is OK but I wouldn't get that instead of a tube amp. I might get it for headphone practice and maybe use a few effects in the loop of my tube amp, but that's about it.
The tube in the G5 is not really a useful feature. It would have been better if they allowed the tube footswitch to be an assignable control. I've heard that people have switched the tube and got improved tone. I personally don't like the sound of the tube and it isn't even in the audio chain when using the USB audio interface. I would in no way characterize the tube as giving a more tube like response.

If you plan on putting separate delay, chorus, etc.. pedals into it then you've pretty much negated most of it's usefulness. Just get a G3 in that case. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you can sound professional with anything if you have a good ear for setting up your presets. My buddy who is an excellent musician has pretty much proven that to me.
Quote by fly135
If you plan on putting separate delay, chorus, etc.. pedals into it then you've pretty much negated most of it's usefulness. Just get a G3 in that case. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that you can sound professional with anything if you have a good ear for setting up your presets. My buddy who is an excellent musician has pretty much proven that to me.
That's me, right? I have some great patches on the G3!