Hey folks, Miracle_Man here.

So I recently decided to build a large pedal board to keep all my stomp boxes neat and tidy. I wanted it to be large enough and with enough features that I would hopefully never need to buy another (or until I decide that it's too large to be practical and want something more portable for gigging).

My initial requirements:

• Large enough to hold all the pedals that I might ever own (I think I may have sacrificed portability with this one).
  • 9V DC Power supply.
  • On-board AC power strip so I can power pedals which can't be daisy chained, or which require more than a standard 9V supply.
  • I/O sockets for 230V AC power, guitar in, guitar out, effects loop send, effects loop return, and a footswitch jack.
  • Covered in velcro-receptive carpet, to keep the pedals stuck to the board.
  • Maximum budget of £150

I made some measurements and decided that I wanted the surface of the board to be 850 x 555 mm. I settled on a wedge-shaped design, like so many other great pedal boards, as it would allow me to mount the power strip and DC power supply underneath the board, while also making the back pedals more accessible. The board sides are going to be 18 mm wooden planks, and the top 18 mm hardwood ply.

Here's my initial plan in SketchUp:

I'll keep this thread updated this with pics as I make progress, so stay tuned

Let me hear your comments or suggestions.
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
I'll be keeping an eye on this one. About to embark upon the same task myself, though on a smaller scale.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
"Covered in velcro-receptive carpet, to keep the pedals stuck to the board"
You might want to re-think that a bit.
I found this stuff at a local fabric store, they called it "Trunk Lining", and it was just like the fuzzy part of velcro. Worked great for that.
Problem....EVERYTHING sticks to it.
Dirt,
paper bits,
Animal hair, which is damn near impossible to remove completely. Oh God, the animal hair.
Worked great as a Velcro substitute, but was impossible to get completely clean.
That looks great!

That's 33.46 x 21.85 inches for those too lazy to convert.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by CodeMonk
"Covered in velcro-receptive carpet, to keep the pedals stuck to the board"
You might want to re-think that a bit.
I found this stuff at a local fabric store, they called it "Trunk Lining", and it was just like the fuzzy part of velcro. Worked great for that.
Problem....EVERYTHING sticks to it.
Dirt,
paper bits,
Animal hair, which is damn near impossible to remove completely. Oh God, the animal hair.
Worked great as a Velcro substitute, but was impossible to get completely clean.

Thanks for the info, I've actually already ordered some black display board fabric as it was pretty cheap and looks as if it will do the job. Here's a link for anyone interested - http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics/949-velcro-receptive-polyester-tricot.html

Regarding the dirt problem... I hadn't even taken that into account. Especially the animal hair part, as I have a chocolate lab whose hair gets everywhere. Hopefully removing all the pedals and hoovering once in a while will do the trick.
Okay I've finalised my plan and done some shopping. The back of the board will be 150 mm high, and the front 55 mm. (5.9" and 2.19", respectively). This should give the board an angle of 10 degrees.

I have decided to use metal L brackets to support the plywood board, rather than the wooden strips down each side, as shown in my original plan. Also, I've decided that the central supporting piece of wood shouldn't be necessary, as 18 mm ply is pretty rigid, and it can be supported along the inside of the back piece by brackets.

Here's my shopping list. Some smaller items - like cable and jack plugs - I already have, so they aren't included below.

Item:
Wooden planks (18 mm)- £25.28
Wood for corner braces (34 x 34 mm) - £2.49
Plywood sheet (18 mm) - £14.49
L brackets - £7.49
Clamps - £2.99
Screws - £6.43
Wood glue - £4.29
Wood filler - £3.59
Wood primer / undercoat - £4.95
Spray paint - £4.99
Feet - £0.56
Carpet - £4.83
Spray glue - £4.03
Velcro (hook side) - £1.70
Locking I/O jacks (x5) - £10.50
Neutrik powercon socket - £3.08
Neutrik powercon plug - £6.52
Neutrik powercon protective boot - £1.48
SPST toggle switch - £4.60
Grounding O rings - £1.99
Faston connectors - £2.10
Power strip - £7.52
Heat shrink - £2.77
P clips - £1.29
Metal plate for switch - £1.00
Pipe clips to - £9.00
Cable ties - £0.60

Total - £140.76 (around 200 USD)
Update:

I've made some progress on the build. I cut the planks of wood to the desired length with a circular saw and glued the pieces together, securing it with countersunk screws into the blocks in the corners, as you can see from the photo. The next step is to cut the plywood sheet to size and route the slots for the wires.

I've made some more progress, as you can see from the images:

I fitted L brackets, routed holes for the I/O sockets and beveled the edges of the frame. I filled the screw holes and any cracks, then sanded and panted it with primer.

Here's the frame after a couple of coats of red spray paint.

I sawed the plywood top to size and cut slots for the cables. Here you can see I have the switch fitted to test for size. I initially had planned to mount the switch on a metal plate, however I screwed up while drilling the plate and decided to give it a miss, mounting the switch directly on the board.
thanks for posting, i was hoping to build a pedal board on the weekend - now i have something to go by
This is a great project
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
Thanks for the comments guys. Got some more work done on the board this weekend:

I/O Sockets fitted. Shame the screws don't all match.

Fitting the carpet to the board. The felt I had bought online was too flimsy and ultimately no good, so I ended up buying some heavy duty rubber-backed carpet from a carpet shop, which is perfect. I stuck it to the board with spray glue, and stapled it to the underside.

It's nearly finished. Still need to put it together and fit the electronics.
Last edited by Miracle_Man at Apr 25, 2016,
Quote by Most_Triumphant
That looks great!

That's 33.46 x 21.85 inches for those too lazy to convert.

I was too lazy to convert. Thanks.
Looks great! I never thought about having I/O jacks like that but I can see how that would really clean things up. When I built mine I used carpet a lot like yours. It's held pedals very well and is durable. Gigged with it for several years without issues.

One question: have you thought about adding handles of some sort to the board?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I went with a much simpler board. Just a 1x12 painted black, big enough to hold my pedals. 2 inch wide "industrial strength" velcro to hold them down. Fuzzy side on the pedals, so they don't stick to carpet when used alone, hook part on the board.

Then I made up a power splitter box with a couple of contact strips and foot long ends cut off dead wall warts for cabling, with an inexpensive plug from an electronics store.

One wall wart, 9VDC at 1000mA for power, it will handle all 4 at once if it needs to, usually no more than 2.

Simple build, works great, I've used it almost 15 years now. And still don't have a picture...

Your board looks like it's off to a good start, I would advise changing to just the 2 inch velcro strips on plain wood though, that carpet will pick up every piece of lint in sight, and using the hook side of the velcro on the pedals means you have the same problem I did until I reworked mine. They stick to carpet when used alone and pick up fuzz from it, eventually they didn't stick to my pedal board well any more.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...