Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,

Need your help.

I got 200-450 euro to spend on a new amp. I already have an amp but looking to expand my gear

It will only be for playing at home and im only playing rock and mostly GnR songs atm.
My guitar gear is an Vintage AFD v100 Paradise.

So my question is, what Marshall amp should i get ? I would need one with 2 channels and i would prefer a stompbox aswell so i can change between clean / dist.

Is there something in the used market i should be looking for to get most "bang for my bucks" ?

Thanks in advance!
Marshall amps in that price range are crap. You're paying a lot for the brand name with cheap Marshalls.

Get yourself something like a Peavey Valveking for rock tones on Ebay. They're dirt cheap used.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Marshall amps in that price range are crap. You're paying a lot for the brand name with cheap Marshalls.

Get yourself something like a Peavey Valveking for rock tones on Ebay. They're dirt cheap used.

I have a Peavey Vypyr atm and im satisfied with that. I just had some money to spend and ive always wanted a Marshall.
It isn't until you start spending quite a lot of money that you get into the realm of Marshalls that are worth owning.

Why do you want a Marshall in particular? Because Slash uses them? You can get those similar kinds of tones from brands that make a much better amp for the money than Marshall. Peavey being the first one that came to my mind.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I hear what your saying It might be better saving those money then.

I do like the tone coming from Marshall amps in generall and ive always wanted to play with one to see what all the fuzz is about
Marshall make/made some nice amps - they've also made some cheap, absolute trash. The MG, for example, is one of the worst amps you can buy. Save up for something decent or go home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmm, i had the MA50 and got a pretty good sound out of it (but that took some time to set up)
The Clean-Sounds came straight from the amp (clean tone is pretty good on a MG50 imo) and i did the distortion with a MXR Badass Distortion '78.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob4YZfkVRUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z__EJAx1CE

(that videos are 5 years old but i recorded it with that setting)

Now i'm playing a JVM410C and i got it for 1200$ =)))))
Knedl mid Soß. Des moga!
Last edited by slash_015 at Apr 6, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
used JCM2000 DSL40 combo.

That's just about the cheapest you'll get a good Marshall.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
yeah i mean if he's always wanted a marshall.

what he needs is a SL-5, but that's a bit over his price range.
jet city on thomann

if it has to be a marshall, then probably save up a bit more, unless you get lucky used.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The dsl15 is around that price in europe, no?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror
The dsl15 is around that price in europe, no?

Around 600 euros from Thomann.

Would be going used for TS's price range.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by nicklaspetrel
I have a Peavey Vypyr atm and im satisfied with that. I just had some money to spend and ive always wanted a Marshall.

Stick with what you've got.

Buying a Marshall because you've always wanted an amp that says Marshall on it is a terrible idea.

If you want to upgrade your amp because you are reaching a point where you need to perfect your tone then suggestions can be provided, but the chances are a Marshall will not be the right answer.

However, if you will only be satisfied with a Marshall, then within your budget this is the best investment:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_fridge.htm
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

However, if you will only be satisfied with a Marshall, then within your budget this is the best investment:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_fridge.htm

Or this

I guess only Marshall I can think of is a Class5 used that might be worth about 400 EURO.
Quote by diabolical

Or this

I guess only Marshall I can think of is a Class5 used that might be worth about 400 EURO.
It's possible that a DSL40 combo might sneak into that price used. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Check out a Peavey Windsor. Here's one for $299 in the U.S.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Windsor-Studio-20W-1X12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111784218.gc

I think it's a one-channel amp, but it is a clone of the Marshall JCM 800, which is I think what Slash used in the earlier GnR days.

It has an effects loop so that should provide some versatility. Rumor has it that it needs to be played pretty loud though, just like a JCM. I've always wanted to try one.
The Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 is an overlooked but very good amp for playing the styles you mentioned. You should be able to find a used one in your price range.
Guitar - Ibanaz GAX70
Amp - Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 Combo
Pedals - Maxon OD9, Ibanez AD9, MXR Phase 90, MXR Analog Chorus
I would go used Marshal DSL or a Peavey Classic. Both are great amps, I love the Classic, maybe even more than the dsl.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by GaryBillington

Buying a Marshall because you've always wanted an amp that says Marshall on it is a terrible idea.

You could also argue that buying something else when you have your heart set on a Marshall might also be silly.

I agree he needs to get a good Marshall, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
You could also argue that buying something else when you have your heart set on a Marshall might also be silly.

Yeah, probably.

The problem though is that the best Marshalls....aren't Marshalls...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
yeah, that might well be true. i mean, i'm not saying i'd buy a marshall, but sometimes you have to buy the thing your heart was set on to realise that it wasn't the best plan. and until you do that you might not realise that better option actually was the better option.

or something.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
exactly what dave said! which is why i've only suggested marshalls. WE need to realize that people are brand sensitive, and people will buy what they think they want no matter how many of us scream "jet city, orange, peavey, insert other amp name here!".

if they want a marshall, they want a marshall. also as said, finding a "good" one in his budget is the big hurdle.

now if he can score a jcm2000 dsl40 or vintage modern combo for his budget on his side of the pond, i have no idea.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 7, 2016,
Quote by gregs1020
exactly what dave said! which is why i've only suggested marshalls. WE need to realize that people are brand sensitive, and people will buy what they think they want no matter how many of us scream "jet city, orange, peavey, insert other amp name here!".

if they want a marshall, they want a marshall. also as said, finding a "good" one in his budget is the big hurdle.

now if he can score a jcm2000 dsl40 or vintage modern combo for his budget on his side of the pond, i have no idea.

It's possible, but it would likely be pretty grotty in presentation at the very least.

Might also need to offer something in trade.
Quote by Diemon Dave
^^ (greg)

i know i've found that buying what other people think is a good idea rarely works out. at very least until I've figured out for myself that what I thought I wanted was a bad idea, which normally means at least trying the thing head to head with its competitors, and sometimes even then you have to own the thing to really figure that out.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Don't bother with any of the cheap Marshall amps. The nice stuff is excellent, of course. But it's going to require some more money.

If you're willing to sacrifice a channel, I tend to recommend a Peavey Windsor for a Marshall-y sound on a budget. Dirt cheap, and great tone for the price. I sometimes miss the one I used to own!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Honestly, any Marshall that is not made in the UK is not as good as the older models of the same. Korg acquired Marshall a little bit before Jim died, but he still got to do the expensive and top of the line amps in the UK factory, after his passing they're moving everything in the middle East and cheapening the components. Same thing also happened to Vox (also acquired by Korg), I think the point to point AC30 is the only one still made in good old mother England?

The new DSL doesn't sound as good as the old DSL and these are still easy to find for comparison. Still, they're not bad amps but not as good as they used to be.

These UK layoffs were enough to get some Marshall employees mad and they took their designs and figured they can also make them in China, thus came Blackstar, which in essence is pretty much the Marshall circuit. I didn't hold them in very high regard until I hear Uli Roth through a wall of Blackstar Artisan amps and it made me think again about checking them out.

Then there are quote a few Marshall clones on the market. I own an Ashdown Fallen Angel which is pretty much the Marshall JCM800 tone stack with some different values, easy mod got me back to the Marshall tone stack

Traynor YCV50B is essentially a straight ripoff of the JCM800 and IMO a better JCM800 than the original now.

Then there is Friedman amplification which basically does a high component quality copies of Marshall designs.

There are others as well...for the most part the copycats are more faithful to the quality Marshall designs nowadays than the original manufacturer
TBH, the best sounding Marshall I've used is my Randall RM100 with a Salvation Mash-all+ module in it. It has even held its own against a vertical input 2203. He was picking my brains about tone afterwards because in fact I actually blew him off the stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
TBH, the best sounding Marshall I've used is my Randall RM100 with a Salvation Mash-all+ module in it. It has even held its own against a vertical input 2203. He was picking my brains about tone afterwards because in fact I actually blew him off the stage.

Unfortunately Randall decided to discontinue these amps. They could've just provided the Satan and Beelzebub modules for them instead of making new amps
Guitarist seem to be scared of them. They look too complicated at first glance. They aren't but they just don't look normal, esp if using third party modules with different fronts. I've donated mine a couple of times for charity gigs and guitarists would plug into far inferior amps rather than my RM100. It was loaded with boutique Fender, Marshall and Mesa modules. It scared them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bumping this thread a little. Was wondering about ur opinions on the Marshall MG30CFX and the MG50CFX.
Would that be a good option if i want that Marshall sound at home practicing ?

Ive been trying to get a SL5 but that seems impossible =/
Last edited by nicklaspetrel at Aug 16, 2016,
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Bumping this thread a little. Was wondering about ur opinions on the Marshall MG30CFX and the MG50CFX.

the 50 is a heavier boat anchor...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by nicklaspetrel
Meaning ?

MG's are flat out shit.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by nicklaspetrel

You already said you have a Vypyr earlier in the thread. The models on that make a better Marshall tone that the MG series. What you have is 100 times better than what you're considering.

As has already been said, keep saving until you can afford what you really want.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Used JCM800.

Otherwise stick to the Vyper. Seriously. Don't buy cheap Marshalls. Ever.
Cry yourself to ash
+1 on the SL5 if you can get a hold of one
And what work in stone could compare with the majesty of trees?
Quote by Cathbard
Guitarist seem to be scared of them. They look too complicated at first glance. They aren't but they just don't look normal, esp if using third party modules with different fronts. I've donated mine a couple of times for charity gigs and guitarists would plug into far inferior amps rather than my RM100. It was loaded with boutique Fender, Marshall and Mesa modules. It scared them.

I think it's also a bit of the brand reputation - after all, Randall is usually associated with heavy gain, not versatility.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by Cathbard

Is that the amp where you could swap pre-amp sections out from the front of the amp?
Page 1 of 2