I have a Traynor YCV40 WR tube amp and have recently began playing heavier, death metal style music. What would be a good distortion pedal or distortion/overdrive combo for getting good metal tone out of a tube amp?
You could try a distortion/overdrive combo to see which works better. Visual sound Jekkyll & Hyde, Mesa Boogie Throttle Box, Mesa V-Twin, Blackstar Ht Range (two pedals to look into HT-Dual or HT-Metal):https://www.blackstaramps.com/ranges/ht-pedals.

If you want to go into some more aggressive dirtier sounds maybe Tech21 Doubledrive 3x, EMMA Pisdiyauwot, Digitech DF-7 or Digitech Metal Master, MXR Fullbore. I am listing these from less aggressive/buzzy towards more aggressive/buzzy. Personally I tend to go for the upper list and usually get most of my distortion from the amp and push with overdrive but in your case you might need the extra buzz/hair on the sound for death metal.
I would try boosting the amp with overdrive first. Any Tubescreamer clone will do the trick, from Bad Monkey and Joyo Vintage Overdrive to premium ones like Maxon.

If more gain is needed then look for distortion pedals or preamp pedals. Out of the "metal" pedals Metal Muff is one that does not completely suck ass and can be had for cheap at used markets. Joyo (or Harley Benton rebrand if you are in EU) also makes a cheap clone called Extreme Metal.

AMT preamp pedals are a class of its own. Like AMT P-1 or P-2 which mimic the Peavey 5150 preamp in solid state FET form and you connect these into the FX return of your amp, bypassing the preamp of your amp completely.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
How much gain does the amp have on tap? If the answer is "enough", use that with a TS9 boost. From what I am hearing though it is not much of a br00tz-voiced amp.

Amptweaker's units get good acclaim for the "pedal into clean amp" thing. I think the Suhr Riot does the same idea too.
It may be a stretch to get a true death metal tone out of that amp, as it doesn't have all that much gain on tap. Thrash, definitely yes; especially with an OD as a boost. If it has an effects loop, you may want to try an EQ pedal in the loop. As long as there's enough gain after boosting, the EQ pedal should help you dial in some thicker, heavier chug tones. An EQ pedal will be nice to have even if you decide this isn't the amp for your death metal needs. They add a ton of versatility to any rig.
Based on the amp (I have a YCV80) an OD pedal on the drive channel isn't going to get you where you want to be, you are better off going with the clean channel and distortion pedal.

As mentioned above, I have had decent results with the Digitech Metalmaster pedal. Its not top of the line but will get you metal without breaking the bank and hold you over while you decide what end route you want to take to get your metal tone.
MXR EVH 5150 overdrive. Some solid reviews of the pedal on YT, puts out a pretty nice distortion.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
For all intents and purposes this is a tweed amp, from what I remember when I recorded it something like a Peavey Classic 30. I think you're better off with distortion too, Look up Warmpler Triple Wreck to the list of my suggestions.
Personally I don't really like how metal pedals sound plugged in front of amps. If you absolutely have to go down that route, I would suggest you go out and try as many as you can and see which one works with your Traynor the best. The YCV series isn't particularly gainy, so boosting the drive channel might not be ideal depending on the style of metal you want to play.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by MaaZeus
I would try boosting the amp with overdrive first. Any Tubescreamer clone will do the trick, from Bad Monkey and Joyo Vintage Overdrive to premium ones like Maxon.

+1

(or boss sd1-style ones)

also what speaker do you have in the combo? that's pretty important too for heavier tones (it is for all tones, obviously).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc at #33914085
+1

(or boss sd1-style ones)

also what speaker do you have in the combo? that's pretty important too for heavier tones (it is for all tones, obviously).

If it's stock and a regular YCV40 (not the YCV40WR), it would come with a 70/80 stock IIRC.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
That's what I pretty much remember, great clean to AC/DC crunch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3QII8lbvlI

There's one school that uses OD and another that sets the amp at crunch and then blasts it with a heavy distortion pedal, which is pretty much the Gothenborg sound. Now it depends if you want to be more like Dimmu Borgir or more like Mayhem.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
If it's stock and a regular YCV40 (not the YCV40WR), it would come with a 70/80 stock IIRC.

yeah that's what i figured. that's not helping, I'd imagine. you're only going to get so far with an open back and a single speaker, but a better speaker should help at least a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?