Hey everyone.
I bought that Mesa preamp I was asking about in the previous thread. And I´m really satisfied with the sound, compared to my previous preamp (Engl E530) it´s a massive improvement in tone. Particularly in high gain. I tried to EQ the sh*t out of that Engl and still didn´t sound half as good as this Mesa - even without EQ.

BUT, there is one issue I have with the Mesa. When I use more aggresive settings on the delay and reverb in my pedal board (in the loop), I strum a chord, or just a single note, even on clean sound, and after a few seconds a very unpleasant low-frequency hum/feedback kicks in. Even if I turn down the FX send pot all the way to minimum (10% mix), it still happens, not as dramatically, but it does. Do you think this is normal? My old Engl preamp was able to handle even much more aggresive FX settings, without doing this, so I somehow can´t believe the Mesa´s behaviour is OK.

I will definitely take the Mesa to my tech, to retube it (tubes are like 5 years old) plus change a pot, but it would be very helpful, if I also could provide him some ideas from people around here, that could have had a similar experience.

So please, let me know what you think, I really appeciate your help!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 6, 2016,
No idea, no one? Come on, please....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
I just found out that the Engl E530 has a serial loop and the Mesa Recto recording preamp has a paralel one. Could this be the source of the problem, somehow? I repeat: the Engl is able to handle almost any extreme settings on the effects and the Mesa is not, it starts feedbacking (low frequency feedback) very soon. Any ideas?
The loop section is still controlled by tube if not mistaken so have your tech take a look.
Do you have different rectifier settings in it? I've seen some issues when the "tube" rectifier mode is engaged vs the "solid state" rectifier.
Quote by diabolical
The loop section is still controlled by tube if not mistaken so have your tech take a look.
Do you have different rectifier settings in it? I've seen some issues when the "tube" rectifier mode is engaged vs the "solid state" rectifier.

Sorry, this is my first Mesa and I don´t understand what you mean by:

"Do you have different rectifier settings in it? I've seen some issues when the "tube" rectifier mode is engaged vs the "solid state" rectifier."

....where and how should that rectifier mode be engaged?
On the back of the amp, not sure if the preamp has it but some Mesas have different rectifier options, solid state or tube rectifier, usually it is a different rectifier tube. It might be in the power section of the Mesa amps though, it has been a while since I've looked at the back of one.
Oh, now I get it. No, there is nothing like that on my Mesa. It´s just a pure preamp, without any power amp section, without any power amp tubes....

So could it be that parallel loop? Meanwhile I have found some other discussions, where people complained about the parallel loops of their Mesa, some have even modified them to serial loops and they were very satisfied with the result....
Yank out pedal after pedal from the loop until the noise disappears, it might just be a pedal with dirty power or bad buffer. Boss DD3 are notorious for weird behaviour. Mine made a chirping sound like a cell phone loop every few minutes because it wasn't on original power supply. Who knows, see if you can rule out the pedal, it might be just one.

BTW - since it is Rectifier Preamp, maybe the Rectifier is built in but is just one type and you can't choose between tube and solid state rectification. Read the manual for your unit, and see if they mention that.

BTW - you didn't say how the preamp fares through the Marshall power amp. It is an interesting pairing, usually people go for either all Marshall or all Mesa and you got both
Quote by diabolical
Yank out pedal after pedal from the loop until the noise disappears, it might just be a pedal with dirty power or bad buffer. Boss DD3 are notorious for weird behaviour. Mine made a chirping sound like a cell phone loop every few minutes because it wasn't on original power supply. Who knows, see if you can rule out the pedal, it might be just one.

BTW - since it is Rectifier Preamp, maybe the Rectifier is built in but is just one type and you can't choose between tube and solid state rectification. Read the manual for your unit, and see if they mention that.

BTW - you didn't say how the preamp fares through the Marshall power amp. It is an interesting pairing, usually people go for either all Marshall or all Mesa and you got both

Bad pedals - yep, tried it, piece by piece, didn´t help....

Mesa+Marshall.... Mesa vs. Marshall? ....for the moment I am satisfied with the sound, but probably only until I would get a chance to try a different power amp and hear the difference. Something like an Engl E840 with 5881s, or Mesa 2:Fifty with 6L6s or EL34s.... At least I hope that I already found my preamp of choice - if I manage to solve that loop issue.
Always start simple first.

Clean the FX jacks with contact cleaner.

Clean the tube socket for the FX loop with contact cleaner.

Swap a known good tube in for the FX loop.

Clean the pot for the FX level with contact cleaner.

Then move on to more expensive and complicated faults.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Coming back to this thread one last time.... Meanwhile I had the parallel fx loop of the Mesa modified to a series one. And voilá, the problem is gone, no more feedback, no more clipping, all fxs sound great even with very extreme settings. So in case you have a similar problem and don´t exactly need the specific functionality of a parallel loop, consider this mod as a possible solution.
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 17, 2016,