I have a $2000 tax return and I am being irresponsible and blowing it on an amp. It could be a Head or a Combo. If it is a head I will be running through different 1x12 cabs with Vintage 30, WGS Veteran 30, and WGS Green Beret (Greenback). I play Blues, Blues Rock, Rock. I need something that will sound good at talking level- no high watt monsters. This is being use in my 18x18ft den. All kinds of different guitars will be used through it. Any opinions?
You really have tons of options. I'd check out Morgan for sure. I love their AC20 and the SW22 also sounds great from what I've heard.
You could go on a mini head shopping spree with 2k. Fender Bassbreaker 15, Peavey Classic 20mh, Orange OR15, and so forth. You could probably afford all three of those brand new and enjoy all their flavors and options.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
You could go on a mini head shopping spree with 2k. Fender Bassbreaker 15, Peavey Classic 20mh, Orange OR15, and so forth. You could probably afford all three of those brand new and enjoy all their flavors and options.

This is a solid plan!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
How close is your local Mesa dealer? Check out the Lonestar and Roadster (Tweed on Ch1 and Clean/Fat on Ch2). Raw and Vintage on Ch3 and Ch4.

Mark V:25 and V:35 are good options too.

Peavey Classic series may work out too for way less.

As long as the amp has a master volume the wattage doesn't matter. You may find a higher wattage amp works better as it stays clean.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
+1 for the Mesa Roadster, I love mine it's extremely versatile it is high watt but each of the 4 channels is switchable 100/50 watts and has it's own reverb control and rectifier switch, 4 channels 3 modes each.

It will do decent volumes in an 18x18 room for sure.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Randall RM100 with a selection of boutique tube preamp modules from one of these guys:
http://salvationaudio.com/index.php?page=modifications
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/mts-mods.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Matchless, bogner shiva, budda superdrive are all top notch amps that may catch your fancy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
id be down with that mesa mkv 25. that thing is killer
since you don't want a fire breathing 100w monster id get a vox ac30 with some sweet pedals. and have some bread left over for the rainy day fund.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I would honestly probably get multiple amps with that kind of budget.

I saw a cover band playing through a Vintage Voltage the other day, great tones and I've personally met the guy, seems really nice!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I would look into the pink taco. I have wanted to play one for a long time.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get an Ampeg V4. They're my personal favourite amp.
Or a VT-22, that'd be the V-4 but the 2x12 combo version of it. Heavy as hell, and I'm not just talking about weight.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by I K0nijn I
You really have tons of options. I'd check out Morgan for sure. I love their AC20 and the SW22 also sounds great from what I've heard.

I've got an AC20 and it's probably one of the best amps I've ever owned. However, it's way too loud to use at home. While you can use the power soak to reduce the volume to bedroom levels I don't really care for it. It just compresses and muddies the tone and removes a lot of the characteristics that really make this amp fantastic.

For purely home play the SW22 would be a better choice. Myself I'd go for a PR12. Those things are brilliant at any volume.

Honestly, I'd stay away from just about all of the low watt EL84 amps if I were just playing in the bedroom. They tend to sound pretty poor until you get them fairly loud. Way way beyond bedroom kind of volumes. I've tried Matchless, Badcat, Vox, The DrZ Maz 38 and a few other EL84 amps mentioned here and they all were pretty lame at low volume.

Generally speaking 6L6 and 6V6 amps will sound better at lower volumes. I'd look into Fender, Victoria, Clark, Carr, The Suhr Bella and stuff like that.
--------------------- If you could buy just one amp ----------------------

I'm in somewhat similar dilemma. I have been working and saving up some cash. On top of that I convinced my dad to invest a bit more which I will pay him back. Right now I'm dead set on getting myself a Tube amp, something that is versatile and can pull off brutal metal tones, searing lead tones, nice crunch and bluesy breakup tones and sweet cleans.

Budget: $2000-2500 (For the head only, but it will be better if I can squeeze in a decent 2x12 and some pedals along with it)

Genres: Metal and Rock primarily but I also play Blues, Instrumental and Pop-fusion (because it pays) that will require some good quality cleans and mild overdrive tones.

My main band is Experimental Metal with metalcore, death, thrash, progressive and groove elements. I have 2 side projects that are Blues based rock-pop-fusion stuff.

I'm also a big instrumental fan and idolize virtuosos like Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert and would love to get some tones from their sonic spectrum.

Some psychedelic and progressive stuff like Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree and Tool are always on top of my list.

Current guitars: I will be playing exclusively through my Esp Edwards e-cy-165ctm which is a very bright sounding guitar. It has SD TB5 in the bridge and Cool rails in the neck. So bright sounding amps are kinda out of the question, unless there is a really good reason to get one.

Features I want: Preferably 3 independent channels with dedicated EQ stacks to dial contrasting tones on each. If possible, a gain knob on the clean channel to dirty my martini whenever I want. Varipower or Attenuator would be nice if built into the amp like Oranges or Bugeras.

What I'm considering at the moment:

Engl Invader 2 vs Diezel Hagen vs Marshall JVM 410

Was also considering:

Mesa Dual Rectifier Solo or Bugera Trirec (lol)

I'm keen on opinions on:

Blackstar amps (HT metal and Series one), Randall, Carvin and Peaveys.

I gave up on the Mesa as they are not cheap. The only way I have right now is through Thomann. Bugera... ah, I have been keeping an eye on them for the past 5 years but there issues are not yet sorted.

Better to make one great investment that will last decades.

Thanks and regards.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
GB&A MS-10 (a teeny tiny solid-state amp)

Coping up with some serious GAS !!!
Well you highjacked someone else's thread but the Mesa Dual Rec Roadster or RoadKing is what I would recommend out of the American brands - not your standard Dual or Triple Rec.

Peavey XXX II (it's the JSX rebadged) would be a good option here as well - very versatile and sounds good. Way less expensive than the Mesa.

I don't have any exposure to the German amps but the Savage is well regarded. Maybe their PowerBall II with a boost?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Dayum mate, you struck some chords by mentioning the Roadster and the Roadking. These two are my most favorite amps. 4 channels on a mesa boogie, may the lord have mercy on my soul haha. The thing is that Mesa boogies are more expensive on Thomann.

Roadking $3563.33
http://www.thomann.de/intl/mesa_boogie_roadking_head.htm

Roadster $3144.45
http://www.thomann.de/intl/mesa_boogie_roadster.htm

The Engl Invader 2 on the other hand is $2096.30
http://www.thomann.de/intl/engl_invader_2_e642_2.htm

Even the holy grail Triamp mark3 is cheaper, for $2820.85
http://www.thomann.de/intl/hugheskettner_triamp_mark_3.htm

Right now, I'm stuck with Thomann since they ship to India, have flat rate shipping of 50Euros and have most of these amps in stock. If only the Mesas had been a tad bit cheaper, I would have ordered them in a heartbeat.

PS: Sorry about the post hijacking. I didn't want to start another of those dreaded "which amp" thread.
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

It's all about wanting what you can't have! The ENGL and Mesa pricing are reversed over here.

You really pay a premium for the German amps. The Invader 2 and Savage are supposed to be killer amps but are not readily available except for mail order.

What's the price on the Peavey XXX II or a 3120? It should be way lower than anything else you listed. Check out some demos and see if you like them.

High price tags don't totally equate with a good quality, versatile amp at this price level, I.e. The Peavey may do just fine at 1/2 the cost.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I know right!

The only peavey amps available are 6505s, Classic 30s and VK

http://www.thomann.de/intl/tube_guitar_heads.html?filter=true&manufacturer[0]=Peavey

3120 and XXX are beasts. I really liked the Ultra. Sadly there ain't much I can do since Thomann is my only option.

They don't even stock Carvins. I was quite blown away by the V3m. 3 truly independent channels, beautiful LEDs, lunchbox size, 50/22/7 watts selection make it amazing for home/recording and gigging purpose and tons of gain. There is a drawback though, it's quite bright voiced and I really don't feel it has the right sound for metal. Hard rock and classic rock definitely.

EDIT: I ventured into Ebay and found this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANDALL-667-GUITAR-AMP-HEAD-ALL-TUBE-120-WATTS-6-CHANNELS-USM-667-EXC-/222091977744?hash=item33b5b6a410:g:gsIAAOSwKfVXFoh7#viTabs_0

Seller seems to be pretty legit and the shipping rate are not exorbitant. Only $175 for USPS worldwide shipping.

Yay or nay?
ESP Ltd AX 50
ESP Edwards E-CY-165CTM
Boss GT-8
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q

Last edited by sigma005 at Apr 25, 2016,