I'm considering buying a 100 watt Marshall CODE head to marry with a Blackstar 408 cabinet. The only problem/ doubt is that the output from the Marshall is 100 Watt with a 4 Ohm output. The blackstar is rated at 60 watt RMS with an 8 Ohm input. Will it be OK before I commit? Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!
Is there a particular reason why you want a Marshall CODE amp?

Generally you want to match impedance.

Also, considering you want to buy a 100 watt amp and your speaker cab is only good for 60, you'll probably blow your speakers if you play with decent volume.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Apr 6, 2016,
I wouldn't get the CODE to begin with as it is not very good...and that is putting it mildly.
If you head is lower in impedance you won't blow it, but in this case there is a wattage and impedance mismatch so I wouldn't go that route.

Is this the back of your 408 cab?

Reason I am asking because there is a possibility that it could be rewired to 4 ohm depending on your speaker rating. 4x16ohm speakers in parallel is 4ohm for example.
http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm
Thanks "diabolical" & "H4T.." Space is limited in my "studio" and to have another combo would take up too much floorspace. The head could have sat on top of the 4x8 Blackstar cab. I don't have any pedals so the possibility of emulating all those great Marshall tones and "others" along with the ability to add up to 5 different effects sounded tempting. It would be for home use only - noodling around.
At its essence CODE serie are to my knowledge solid state modeling amps. This means that the 4 ohms is the MINIMUM cab load it takes and where it outputs the max power. You can safely put in 8 ohm and even 16 ohm cabs but the output power of the amp drops when you do so. I dont remember how much it drops with each increment (halved power from 4ohms to 8ohms i think and halved again from 8 to 16?) but your blackstar cab should be safe.

The impedance matching only matters with tube power sections with output transformers which gets stressed out with mismatching loads. Solid state power sections work completely different. There is only minimum load to think about and which you should not go under or the amp is at risk of overloading and frying.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
I wouldn't get the CODE to begin with as it is not very good...and that is putting it mildly.
If you head is lower in impedance you won't blow it, but in this case there is a wattage and impedance mismatch so I wouldn't go that route.

Reason I am asking because there is a possibility that it could be rewired to 4 ohm depending on your speaker rating. 4x16ohm speakers in parallel is 4ohm for example.
Have you had hands-on experience with the CODE series yet? I do not but I have heard quite a few demos of them. They sound like thinly veiled MG's. VOX's AV series blows them out the water, but again no hands-on experience with either yet. But with that, I would stay away from the CODE series and look into something different.
---
100w @ 4 ohms from the amp into a 60w @ 8 ohm cabinet is okay with SS output sections I THINK. The 8 ohm impedance of the cabinet will bring the wattage of the amp down, halved, to 50w, safe for the 60w power handling of the cabinet. I want someone else to confirm this though to be sure.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by diabolical

Not having tried one of these I can't argue with your statement but I can ask if you've ever even tried one and if you did for how long. Passing off the cuff opinions and very strong ones at that as facts isn't very helpful.
Moving on.....
^We do have plenty of demos on the CODE amps already, and I hear the same kind of tones I get from the MG's. Of course hands-on experience is ideal but demos give a lot of information as well. We also suggest things that are safe- things we know are good rather than giving the go-ahead on something we are not sure on just because we do not know it fully.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by KenG
Not having tried one of these I can't argue with your statement but I can ask if you've ever even tried one and if you did for how long. Passing off the cuff opinions and very strong ones at that as facts isn't very helpful.

+1. Makes sense to try something before giving feedback.
Quote by MAChiefs
+1. Makes sense to try something before giving feedback.

It does, but with this being a relatively new product, with not many of us (myself included) having an opportunity to try it in person, and combine that with the little inspiration that the demo videos offers makes most of us think that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

I mean it's your money, and you will spend it how you like, but myself (and I believe others) will tell you that it's kinda a waste. I know for certain that if I showed up to a studio with the promise of playing thru a Marshall on my recordings, and found this is what you meant, I'd be pretty damn disappointed. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with moddlers, it's just to me this thing sounds like an MG with effects.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by red.guitar
It does, but with this being a relatively new product, with not many of us (myself included) having an opportunity to try it in person, and combine that with the little inspiration that the demo videos offers makes most of us think that the money would be better spent elsewhere.

I mean it's your money, and you will spend it how you like, but myself (and I believe others) will tell you that it's kinda a waste. I know for certain that if I showed up to a studio with the promise of playing thru a Marshall on my recordings, and found this is what you meant, I'd be pretty damn disappointed. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with moddlers, it's just to me this thing sounds like an MG with effects.

I have no interest in the Marshall code, but I believe feedback should be provided by people that have actually played it.

This is a forum for feedback, therefore, I am not diminishing your opinions or that of the others, and not having played it myself, can't say that I disagree. I just think strong opinions make more sense when someone has experience with it.
Don't have a hands on experience, checked some videos online and tuey didn't inspire, considering that some professional product videos for mediocre to bad stuff sounds amazing (Ola Englund) this was simply bad. The price point for a Marshall also indicates thaf it is a toy, especially considering that the first semi decent amp they put out (Dsl5c) is more expensive than this, what more do you need?
Another ploy to get the poor underclass of high school kids to buy a toy Korg product under the name of their hero's amp, as seen on pictures. Been there, done that, had the Valvestates to prove it.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 10, 2016,
I have ran the Fender in my sig at at 8 ohms and it just seemed to reduce the headroom a fair bit... something I think I would even prefer if I was playing classic rock.

That being said, I doubt a Marshall CODE would sound very tits at all with reduced headroom.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Got the CODE 50 two weeks ago for playing at home and I can say only the following. First of all it turned out that it is too damn loud for my apartment, big fail here but I can blame only myself for not getting the 25. As for the sound, it is not a valve amp, it does not sound like a valve amp, but for the money I think it is a good buy and provides some good tones when you set it right. Now when it comes to the setup, the amp controls are a bit inconvenient for me. The phone app is full of bugs and far from useful, crashing, deleting your tones, connections issues etc... they were supposed to fix it months ago but... nothing.

Now on the bright side there is a new patch sharing site that allows you to connect the amp to the site (web2amp) and test patches live check the video.

A full web editor for the CODE is also promised on the site which will be quite the game changer for preset editing on the code.
Quote by Will Lane
Well we cannot really get any farther until Diabolical responds, eh?

This.

If nobody has any hands-on experience with these amps because they're so new that hardly anyone has tried them and nobody is 'allowed' to state their opinion of what they think they sound like until they've actually played them for themselves then nobody on this forum is going to be allowed to answer TS' question.

While nothing beats hands-on experience, I see that as being very counterproductive.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Sep 29, 2016,
5 month old question tho
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This.

If nobody has any hands-on experience with these amps because they're so new that hardly anyone has tried them and nobody is 'allowed' to state their opinion of what they think they sound like until they've actually played them for themselves then nobody on this forum is going to be allowed to answer TS' question.

While nothing beats hands-on experience, I see that as being very counterproductive.
I did get a chance to try one a few days ago since this thread. Granted I did not get to really dig into the amp but what I did hear, I did not like. Very much like an MG. There may be potential in it, but from everything I have heard- it is not good. It is not a safe buy, and there are better units in the price range. And again, the demos I heard online confirm/were confirmed by what I heard myself.
Quote by gbonev
Got the CODE 50 two weeks ago for playing at home and I can say only the following. First of all it turned out that it is too damn loud for my apartment, big fail here but I can blame only myself for not getting the 25. As for the sound, it is not a valve amp, it does not sound like a valve amp, but for the money I think it is a good buy and provides some good tones when you set it right. Now when it comes to the setup, the amp controls are a bit inconvenient for me. The phone app is full of bugs and far from useful, crashing, deleting your tones, connections issues etc... they were supposed to fix it months ago but... nothing.

Now on the bright side there is a new patch sharing site that allows you to connect the amp to the site (web2amp) and test patches live check the video.

A full web editor for the CODE is also promised on the site which will be quite the game changer for preset editing on the code.
The volume difference between a 25w and a 50w is less than you think. To tame volume, turn down the Master Volume control. Also it is an SS amp, but it is meant to sound like a valve amp as it models valve amps from yesteryear up to today. Isn't there an entire control set based on changing output tubes?
Last edited by Will Lane at Sep 29, 2016,
The master control volume at least on mine goes from 0.X to 1.0 from quiet to quite loud for an apartment.
Quote by gbonev
The master control volume at least on mine goes from 0.X to 1.0 from quiet to quite loud for an apartment.
Hmm. Is there also a channel volume of sorts? There are controls like gain or preamp volume which adjusts distortion, but maybe there is a channel volume as well. Not sure.
Well I have hands-on experience since 2-3 months back when it came out. And I have to say it is worth it's pricetag and more so. But I guess this amp is for a certain kind of player. I live in an apartment where you can hear your upstairs neighbor jank it. So being able to record through USB-out is a massive + for me. And when it comes to the actual sound, well.. I have played a few valve amps in my 2 years of guitar playing and I really can't say that a valve amp produces a more thrilling sound.

Thing is, if you want as much as possible out of this amp, you have to know how to operate it, period. In these months I've had it, I still hasn't been able to dial in the tone I really want. It's hard work and lot's of trial and error, but then I remember, that is the case with lots other amps too.

It's a workhorse of a machine this, but you need to learn how to use it properly. I learn to enjoy it more for every day. And it's great for my needs, being able to record/jam at night without disturbing the whole county. For it's price, it's a catch no doubt.

Cheers.
Quote by benzel
Well I have hands-on experience since 2-3 months back when it came out. And I have to say it is worth it's pricetag and more so. But I guess this amp is for a certain kind of player. I live in an apartment where you can hear your upstairs neighbor jank it. So being able to record through USB-out is a massive + for me. And when it comes to the actual sound, well.. I have played a few valve amps in my 2 years of guitar playing and I really can't say that a valve amp produces a more thrilling sound.

Thing is, if you want as much as possible out of this amp, you have to know how to operate it, period. In these months I've had it, I still hasn't been able to dial in the tone I really want. It's hard work and lot's of trial and error, but then I remember, that is the case with lots other amps too.

It's a workhorse of a machine this, but you need to learn how to use it properly. I learn to enjoy it more for every day. And it's great for my needs, being able to record/jam at night without disturbing the whole county. For it's price, it's a catch no doubt.

Cheers.
My problem here is that if someone wants put the money in for the CODE 50w or the 100w version, they could get a used POD HD500 which I am confident would be better, for around the same price and have silent use as well. If you still want the ability to run a cab and not only use headphones, then yes you would need more than what the HD500 can do. But if it is just silent use, HD500's are safer.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 20, 2016,
Rewire the cab for 16 ohm and nothing will blow up.

But - don't buy a Code
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hi. First post on the site.

I bought a CODE 50 4 months ago as a returning guitarist after a 20-year hiatus. I tried a few modelling amps (Peavey, CODE, Line 6) and to me the Marshall sounded best.

That said, it's not a JCM800 full stack. It is what it is, and while I originally wanted the DSL 40C I opted for this all-in-one unit for less than half the price (nevermind the effects it comes with). For me, who's not in a band and just likes to jam along to my music collection, it's perfect. If the CODE head and cab combo end up providing a more ballsy sound then I would move up to that. The speaker in it is lackluster at best. It sounds great through the line out/headphone though. As long as you're clear about what this amp isn't...then I think it's a good buy.

edit: don't judge it by the built in patches btw. You need to really spend time dialing your own in to really see what it can do.

Kris
Last edited by krisman76 at Dec 12, 2016,