Hey all,

After a fairly long period of dormancy, it appears GAS has returned...it can never truly be contained, can it!?

As the title suggests, I have a Gibson SG that I think I'd like to swap the bridge pickup in. It currently has a pair of '57 classics. Great pickups for sure (I especially like them in the neck), but I think I'd like something with just a bit more bark and bite in the bridge - It can get just a tad bit too spongey and muddled for my taste under a fair amount of gain (And I'd like just a tad more tightness and brightness). Looking for a bridge pickup that can handle everything from clean, slapback delay filled rockabilly style riffs, up to hard rock/early hair metal and punk levels of gain. Not looking for a super hot metal pickup, as I have other guitars for that - versatility is key here!

I was thinking maybe a Burstbucker, or maybe a JB, but would like to hear other opinions.

Amps are a Fender Bassman, ENGL Fireball, and eventually, something Marshall-y as a third amp.

Thanks!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
If you want something less mushy, Burstbuckers aren't the way to go for sure. Burstbuckers are low gain, vintage, mushy sounding pickups.

If you want something a bit hotter and a bit tighter, maybe something like a Duncan SH5 would be worth a look. JB's are nice too but quite a bit brighter compared to something like a '57 classic.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
PAF Pro, no?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
PAF Pro, no?
I have one in the neck position of a Jackson DK2M I own, and think it's a great pickup for metal/shred neck pickup leads, but how does it handle the vintage-ish stuff as a bridge pickup? Plus, how does it fare in a mahogany, set-neck guitar, versus an alder, bolt on neck guitar?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I have a duncan Custom 5 in the bridge of my LTD Viper and it is a very versatile pickup. Great for 80's hair metal tone but is also good for blues and classic rock tones. Slightly lower output than the JB.
Perhaps a RailHammer Chisel or HyperVintage. They also just recently introduced the Alnico Grande, which lies somewhere between.

http://www.railhammer.com/alnico_grande_bridge.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 6, 2016,
I really like the JB- Something about it just feels 'Alive' and responsive to me- But the Pearly gates bridge is pretty sweet too. Maybe too classic for you though-
I concur on the JB. A more modern, articulate PU designed for 80s tone. I have one in my 335 and it might be too modern for this axe.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
A JB is, a good choice. Very articulate pup.
But check out http://riograndepickups.com/
I use their P90's and they rock. I should imagine that their humbuckers are equally as good. Boutique Texas tone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by firemetal666
I have a duncan Custom 5 in the bridge of my LTD Viper and it is a very versatile pickup. Great for 80's hair metal tone but is also good for blues and classic rock tones. Slightly lower output than the JB.
This sounds very much like what I'm looking for. I just might have to give it a try

Does your Viper have a mahogany, or basswood body?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

Quote by FlightofIcarus
This sounds very much like what I'm looking for. I just might have to give it a try

LTD's have basswood but don't worry too much about that.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
500t. Yummy pickups for really cheap used.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You can't go wrong with the Duncan SH4 Jeff Beck model. I have several and they are great pups, especially the custom shop Maricela Juarez hand wound version.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Perhaps a RailHammer Chisel or HyperVintage. They also just recently introduced the Alnico Grande, which lies somewhere between.

http://www.railhammer.com/alnico_grande_bridge.html

Came here to say this!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7(*for sale*)
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
The JB can do it, although it has more upper mids (think 80s hard rock). For more versatility, I'd suggest the Custom. It is open, has plenty of output, and the low end remains tight.
Quote by FlightofIcarus

I have the Viper 1000 deluxe. It's mahogany body and neck, ebony board.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
I have one in the neck position of a Jackson DK2M I own, and think it's a great pickup for metal/shred neck pickup leads, but how does it handle the vintage-ish stuff as a bridge pickup? Plus, how does it fare in a mahogany, set-neck guitar, versus an alder, bolt on neck guitar?

no clue, i have it in an ibanez

but i'd say the bass isn't super-tight. but it is pretty clear-sounding, and pretty bright.

jb doesn't have a super-tight bass to my ears, either. and wouldn't be my pick for lower gain stuff either.

i realise that's no help
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm reviving this thread!

I'm curious if anyone here has experience with Wolfetone pickups? I've been eyeballing them since they're very local to me (as in no shipping local). Thinking of possibly going that route for a bridge pup in the SG now.

As far as mass produced stuff goes, can anyone compare the 57 classic plus to the regular 57 in output/tightness? FWIW, I recently picked up a Gibby Flying V w/Burstbucker Pros in it, and think those totally rock (Not sure why a lot of folks hate them so much). I do occasionally spot decent deals on used Gibson pups, but would spend my money on something like Wolfetone before paying what a brand new Gibson pup goes for.
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60