Lately I have really been slacking on the guitar and to be completely honest im an awful player. I want to get back into the swing of practicing but i recently noticed I have no idea how I should practice. I normally run through some scales then go on to learn a song or a solo from a song or something. But this gets boring pretty fast as I have no goals or any idea what im working to. I really want to be able to improvise well but im not to sure how I progress further with this. So any tips on how best to practice would be appreciated, also feel free to share your practice routines.
I'm no expert on this, but I would suggest finding a few tunes you really like, and learn them, along with any of their background theory. That is what I do to learn technique and "touch". A sound editor that can change tempo and do loops is a big help.

I'm not sure you can learn anything well if you don't have some objective in mind.
I never had any set practice routine. If I were to give you an answer I think is accurate, I would need to know more about you and I'd need to watch you play. You want to be able to improvise, so that's at least a direction you want to go in. After that, it's what style you like, what you know, and where your physical weaknesses are that's important.

You definitely want to break it up into smaller goals for sure. It's pretty fast to accomplish little goals in guitar. What makes it tough is the number of little goals out there.

I think what you really need to answer that question is a good teacher. That's really all a teacher is for, imo. All the content you need to learn is free on the internet. The best order, and how to practice specifically I think is the power a teacher can provide.
The style i prefer most is like blues, nothing heavy at all. I know little to nothing about theory of guitar and have started trying to understand it a bit better, get kinda lost around circle of fifths area. Cheers for the help though, I will carefully consider a teacher.
Quote by Edwardp123
The style i prefer most is like blues, nothing heavy at all. I know little to nothing about theory of guitar and have started trying to understand it a bit better, get kinda lost around circle of fifths area. Cheers for the help though, I will carefully consider a teacher.

If you're into blues, I'd recommend incorporating improvising into your practicing. If you usually start practicing with some scales, look up some blues backing tracks (there are plenty out there), and figure out how to use the scales with the chords. This can be a fun way to become more familiar with scales, and it's usually more expressive than just learning some new songs. It also requires very little knowledge of theory, just some familiarity of patterns (or at least looking at them while you play).