Hey everyone.
I have two OD pedals in front of my amp (Mesa Recto Recording preamp), they are very different and I like em both.

One is the Maxon OD808 - no need to describe, everyone knows it - and for me works perfectly in front of the dirty channel, to tighten it up.

The other one is Xotic RC Booster - it´s more of a booster than OD, but very nice too, mostly for clean tones, it´s able to make them sound more crispy and warm at the same time.

And since I like toys and different tonal options, I am thinking about a third one. And from the videos I´ve seen I really like the Seymour Duncan 805 and the MXR Il Torino. They are both the same compact size to fit in my crowded board, they both have a 3-band EQ, they are about the same price.

Have you tried them personally and do you think any of these two would bring me something new and different, compared to my Xotic and Maxon?

Thanks a lot in advance for your views.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 7, 2016,
Timmy
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Timmy

Sounds nice. Any idea who sells it in Europe? Google has not found anything.... I prefer buying a new one, with the option to return it, if I don´t like it personally....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by diabolical
Budda Zendrive maybe?

I honestly don't see the use of that many overdrives, you might as well invest into something more interesting for the fx loop (when that starts working).

You´re right, this is not a common-sense type of decision, I just want another tone-shaping toy....

As for more stuff into my loop, there is nothing left to desire for me, I got two EQ pedals, a chorus/flanger/vibrato, a delay and a reverb and I am completely satisfied with those.

As for Zendrive - I could easily get a Lovepedal Hermida Zendrive from the available EU-relevant eshops. Is it the same as Budda Zendrive?
Not it is not, sorry it is the Zenman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMgdQh7RvKs

You can always get some weird toys for the fx loop, or upgrade to better or weirder delay. I kinda like having two delays, one for weirdness effects, like say Boss DD-3, and one for more analog lead tones, in my case it is a MODTONE MT-AD.
Quote by Airfish
Sounds nice. Any idea who sells it in Europe? Google has not found anything.... I prefer buying a new one, with the option to return it, if I don´t like it personally....

No idea. I built my own.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No idea. I built my own.

Congratulations!
Check out Airis Effects out of Canada.

I have the Budda Zenman but not sure how different it will be from the Maxon and Clean boost you already have. You would really only be getting the Phat mode of the overdrive as a "new" sound.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Something in the Fulltone OCD vein maybe?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Something in the Fulltone OCD vein maybe?

Not a bad idea.... that one is easy to get in my area.
are you using it as a boost or a standalone od?

personally for the boosting thing i'd say you have both bases covered- something tubescreamerish and something more transparent.

granted it wouldn't be the first time i bought something i didn't technically need either. lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
are you using it as a boost or a standalone od?

personally for the boosting thing i'd say you have both bases covered- something tubescreamerish and something more transparent.

granted it wouldn't be the first time i bought something i didn't technically need either. lol.

Exactly as you said: Probably I don´t technically need it. I use my Maxon OD808 to tighten up the high gain sound, with very good results. And I use the Xotic RC to add more round bottom and sparkly top to my cleans, with good results, too. So, after some speculating, I might now be looking for some OD pedal, that could do the boosting in combination with more tone-shaping. Which led me to MXR Il Torino and/or Seymour 805 - they both have 3-band EQ, the MXR has two different modes....
Quote by darkwolf291
King of Tone

Cool.... but no chance to get one here in my area....
Quote by Airfish
Exactly as you said: Probably I don´t technically need it. I use my Maxon OD808 to tighten up the high gain sound, with very good results. And I use the Xotic RC to add more round bottom and sparkly top to my cleans, with good results, too. So, after some speculating, I might now be looking for some OD pedal, that could do the boosting in combination with more tone-shaping. Which led me to MXR Il Torino and/or Seymour 805 - they both have 3-band EQ, the MXR has two different modes....

yeah no worries, sometimes you just want to buy something even if you don't need it (i know i do)

i haven't tried it but i guess the SD 805 would work if you like the tubescreamer thing but want more options.

a digitech hardwire tube od is sort of tubescreamerish but with more options as well.

i haven't tried the il torino either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sometimes you just want to buy something even if you don't need it

Damn straight!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah...but how many different flavors do overdrives really provide? Not that many honestly...unless you're talking FET design which could be I guess a third interesting choice...there isn't really that much.

The Budda Zenman for example covers TS sound and has its own sound by flipping a switch. It also has a boost. It is very similar to my Sparkle Drive which I can mimic with a tamer setting. I can also mimic by Marshall Guvnor by adding a bit more treble from the amp and increasing the gain on the amp instead. Maybe the only one that is kinda its own is my YJM 308 DOD overdrive, which to me can be put as in between OD and distortion.

So with that in mind, maybe look at something with glass (Mesa Bottle Rocket) or something with FET design that might provide more flavor.

I'd personally go with some Eventide reverb unit or something cool and fancy like that.
Malekko fetish, timmy (paul c is the original builder), zvex Masterton or fuzz factory? Rat? Marshall in a box thing?

Maybe be a little different and go for a compressor?

Happy hunting!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Malekko fetish, timmy (paul c is the original builder), zvex Masterton or fuzz factory? Rat? Marshall in a box thing?

Maybe be a little different and go for a compressor?

Happy hunting!

Nice tips, thank you.
Quote by diabolical
Yeah...but how many different flavors do overdrives really provide? Not that many honestly...unless you're talking FET design which could be I guess a third interesting choice...there isn't really that much.

The Budda Zenman for example covers TS sound and has its own sound by flipping a switch. It also has a boost. It is very similar to my Sparkle Drive which I can mimic with a tamer setting. I can also mimic by Marshall Guvnor by adding a bit more treble from the amp and increasing the gain on the amp instead. Maybe the only one that is kinda its own is my YJM 308 DOD overdrive, which to me can be put as in between OD and distortion.

So with that in mind, maybe look at something with glass (Mesa Bottle Rocket) or something with FET design that might provide more flavor.

I'd personally go with some Eventide reverb unit or something cool and fancy like that.

FET design? MXR has a "FET Driver" OD. And as for that MXR Il Torino, it uses MOS FET technology. Ain´t got no clue what is FET and MOS FET, are they the same, similar, or completely different? And which of these would be more diffent from the ODs I have?
Quote by Airfish
FET design? MXR has a "FET Driver" OD. And as for that MXR Il Torino, it uses MOS FET technology. Ain´t got no clue what is FET and MOS FET, are they the same, similar, or completely different? And which of these would be more diffent from the ODs I have?

OK, I have found some general info on FET and MOSFET, here: http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-fet-and-mosfet/

But it still tells me nothing about how that stuff would behave in OD guitar pedals such as those MXRs that I previously mentioned....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 8, 2016,