Hey.

I have played guitar on an off for a few years, but I am still in the beginning phase. I play electric guitar and I am interested in learning nice riffs and solos eventually. I would like to hear other peoples opinions if I should continue playing right handed or if I should switch over to playing left handed. I am not playing much rhythm guitar, but more picking and some fingerplay. It would be a pity if I can't reach my full potential when my weaker hand is doing the picking. I have seen many great left handed guitarists playing right handed, so I guess it is hope.
I am a left-handed person and play right handed guitar. If you can, stick with playing right handed. We have some extra hurdles in regards to our right hand (especially fingerpicking), but I feel like having your more dexterous hand on the fretboard is very beneficial. It also greatly increases the amount of potential guitars you can play/buy.
Check out my band Disturbed
Thanks for the answer. I think the argument about the amount of available guitars is very important.
I recently started learning sweeping and picking techniques and I find it very hard to hit the correct strings with the pick. This is probably getting much easier after much practice?
Last edited by Andyy5 at Apr 7, 2016,
Lefty that plays lefty here.

If playing right handed is comfortable, stick to it because the choice of Guitars is far superior to what's available in LH versions.
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Quote by Andyy5
Hey.

I have played guitar on an off for a few years, but I am still in the beginning phase. I play electric guitar and I am interested in learning nice riffs and solos eventually. I would like to hear other peoples opinions if I should continue playing right handed or if I should switch over to playing left handed. I am not playing much rhythm guitar, but more picking and some fingerplay. It would be a pity if I can't reach my full potential when my weaker hand is doing the picking. I have seen many great left handed guitarists playing right handed, so I guess it is hope.

I actually have experience with this.

I am left handed, and have played right handed guitar for around 20yrs i did this mainly due to affordability of right handed instruments vs left and variety.....

I adopted the same philosophy as you after a few years as why would i want my left hand wasring away picking instead of fretting notes. This idea i jave personally found to be false...

Your picking hand is by far more important than your fretting hand and requires more control. I have learned this the hard way.....i found i had way more trouble with complex picking patterns and alternate picking than with fretting the notes.....however i had already invested 10yrs by this point.

In other words i would just say....play with your dominant hand as your picking hand.

Its taken me much longer to master picking than it has fretting, i would venture to say that i would be further along if i had started playing left handed. (I'm still a master at neither)

But really i guess its just however you are most comfortable.
Another lefty that plays righty here. Didn't even realize that they made left handed guitars until ~year after.

+1 on easy legato chops and -1 on picking dexterity, but it's worth it as was already said.

Sweep picking is hard to learn regardless of which hand, but easier with practice. The best way is to get used to raking the strings smoothly and evenly before worrying about the fretting, and getting the palm right for minimal noise/etc. The left hand is more cakewalk, and then link them up
Another thing I read in the Guitar World lessons section way back is to just focus on right hand rhythm strumming without worrying about what you're doing with chords/frets. I think it was that one guy that covered Hendrix songs.

Things like getting used to hitting the first 2 or so top strings and the first 2 or so bottom strings on the upbeat/downbeat/etc.
Quote by Fat Lard
Another lefty that plays righty here. Didn't even realize that they made left handed guitars until ~year after.

+1 on easy legato chops and -1 on picking dexterity, but it's worth it as was already said.

Sweep picking is hard to learn regardless of which hand, but easier with practice. The best way is to get used to raking the strings smoothly and evenly before worrying about the fretting, and getting the palm right for minimal noise/etc. The left hand is more cakewalk, and then link them up

I'm not sure its worth it man? I could be wrong but i feel like i would definitely be further along after 20yrs if i had stuck to the other hand....but yea legato runs and fret oriented techniques came easily its the picking that came with alot of work....
It's worth it IMO

I do wish I had better downpicking speed/endurance ability for metal rhythms/etc, though. (but not enough to practice for it)

But hey, we're pretty used to the oppression from the right devils anyway, eh
Do anyone here know if it is possible to just change the order of the strings just for seeing if I like to play the other way? Or will the nut be the problem for doing this?

I have just tried to change the guitar over, and I think picking is easier with my left hand.
Quote by Andyy5
Do anyone here know if it is possible to just change the order of the strings just for seeing if I like to play the other way? Or will the nut be the problem for doing this?

I have just tried to change the guitar over, and I think picking is easier with my left hand.

Just read the tabs upside down

Hendrix did it, but if you keep the strings that way for a long time, you'd might need to re-set it up and whatnot
Quote by Fat Lard
It's worth it IMO

I do wish I had better downpicking speed/endurance ability for metal rhythms/etc, though. (but not enough to practice for it)

But hey, we're pretty used to the oppression from the right devils anyway, eh

Absolutely! The down stroke speed and galloping palm muted riffs are what gave me the most trouble. Think of the guitar in The Trooper......what a bitch for a player like me, back then anyway.

but yea...i really used to feel like i was playing "left handed" because my strong hand was doing the fretwork.....i jad a change of heart, but maybe for no reason.
Quote by Andyy5

Picking WILL be easier but fretting will be extremely difficult AT FIRST. Or would you prefer it the other way round?

You could (in theory) mix 2 sets of strings and tune down a step or so for reduced tension on wound strings..... and run the strings upside down that way......but it will sound funky probably.
Quote by Dick Savage
Absolutely! The down stroke speed and galloping palm muted riffs are what gave me the most trouble. Think of the guitar in The Trooper......what a bitch for a player like me, back then anyway.

but yea...i really used to feel like i was playing "left handed" because my strong hand was doing the fretwork.....i jad a change of heart, but maybe for no reason.

It's weird, I have no problem with gallop speed, but down picks without the up in the middle are a lot more slow and tiresome for me

Guitar Speed Trainer is a great computer app to get great right-handed chops though. 5/5, really makes practice incredibly efficient
Quote by Dick Savage
Picking WILL be easier but fretting will be extremely difficult AT FIRST. Or would you prefer it the other way round?

You could (in theory) mix 2 sets of strings and tune down a step or so for reduced tension on wound strings..... and run the strings upside down that way......but it will sound funky probably.

Yes, it could work I guess. It's quite a hard choice to make. I haven't played that long, so re-learning for the other hand would be fine.
If you already play I wouldn't change. It'll be like starting from scratch. As a lefty, I wish I had learned right handed because guitars are much more available and much cheaper
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
If you already play I wouldn't change. It'll be like starting from scratch. As a lefty, I wish I had learned right handed because guitars are much more available and much cheaper

Exactly why my 7yr old self started with a righty as a lefty.
Quote by Fat Lard
It's weird, I have no problem with gallop speed, but down picks without the up in the middle are a lot more slow and tiresome for me

Guitar Speed Trainer is a great computer app to get great right-handed chops though. 5/5, really makes practice incredibly efficient

God knows we could use all the help with efficiency as we can possibly get.....its hard to find the time to actually paracrice nowdays....when i pick it up i want to noodle around cause ita bout all i have time for.

If we could only cram 26 ours into a 24 hour day.