I plug my guitar into the pod with a regular lead? It has the same input as a standard amp? And then I use a lead with a USB end to plug the pod into my laptop? Is that how it jworks? I don't need a lead with 2 USB ends? Also is an amp.necessary or can I just plug it into my laptop? And does it function with amps? Thanks. I love guitar it's just the tech side of things is so daunting. I dont have a clue about pedals or anything.
Last edited by DanielGreally at Apr 7, 2016,
POD is a pretty easy device to use. yes you can plug it into an amp with just regular guitar cables. it can be plugged into a computer with a USB provided the model you have has that feature. you can just plug in a pair of headphones to play through your POD for practice nothing else needed.
It's pretty easy.

First you buy a good tube amp, you plug you guitar into that and dial in a great tone.

Then, you take the POD and place it as a doorstop or paperweight.

Seriously though - it depends, on some devices you can connect via USB into the PC as a direct interface (Boss GT-100, Vox Tonelab, some versions of Line6) and record into the computer.

On others you might need an interface to connect the output and record that way.

You can connect in front of amp or in fx loop return with varying degrees of success.

Or you can use it as a doorstop, which is the function I like best
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 7, 2016,
All the POD manuals are available online...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I would advise you to read the manual. If it's anything like the Kemper, the manual will help you out greatly. Most of the questions I see on the Kemper are clearly explained in the manual. And it tells you a lot about what parameters do what exactly and there are some nifty tricks in there. I'd imagine that being the same with the pod.
Quote by DanielGreally
I plug my guitar into the pod with a regular lead? It has the same input as a standard amp? And then I use a lead with a USB end to plug the pod into my laptop? Is that how it jworks? I don't need a lead with 2 USB ends? Also is an amp.necessary or can I just plug it into my laptop? And does it function with amps? Thanks. I love guitar it's just the tech side of things is so daunting. I dont have a clue about pedals or anything.

Yes, the Pod's inputs and outputs includes the standard 1/4" cables.

Not sure about the other models, but the Pod HD series has an included proprietary cable that allows you to plug the Pod into the computer. You can use it sans amplifier; the Pod HD has its own soundcard (which is super important; I never could get good latency even with the ASIO drivers from Fender), so you can use a VST or use it for recording. The Pod HD is designed to work with or without amps. My setup is Pod to a shit amp, and also to a shit computer. I then EQ the amp so that what I hear is close to what I get when I record it into the computer.

Pedals can also be used as part of your setup if you feel certain effects in the Pod suck ass. If I am not mistaken, this is for any of the Pods.
The Line6 manuals are very well-written. Spend an hour or so to see what you can do with the POD- 1000s of recordings have been made with them. I can't imagine figuring one out without knowing how it works. You really have to put some time into reading about it.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by diabolical
Why RTFM when everything is already regurgitated for consumption on the interwebs?

Would that it were.

If you don't want to read the manuals, hit the inter webs and read Meambobbo's Tone Guide (http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ ) for the Pod HD series. The manuals tell you roughly where things are, but not *really* what they do or how best to get rid of that funky tinny sound you're hearing when you...

A bit of reading here will save you a whole lot of time watching inane YouTube Vids.