Page 1 of 2
My company hired a new person who happens to be an ex-classmate of mine. On her first day, she came wearing a hijab. She had not worn one a few days ago at her interview. Anyway she quit after the first day, and people at work are all speculating and gossiping about it. Someone said they think management would not have hired her if they had known/if she had been wearing the hijab to the interview. Most thought it was dishonest of her.

...Am I the only one who doesn't get why it's such a problem? How is it dishonest? The head covering doesn't change her religion. Even more awkwardly, this was all taking place in the presence of another Muslim co-worker (who doesn't wear the hijab). I work in a lab but 1. that wouldn't be a safety issue at all, 2. she was in an office within the lab so not even doing lab work anyway. So it seems to be pretty much straight up discrimination.

Thoughts?

(PS. If that was people's attitude to her, I don't blame her for quitting.)
I could totally understand why she might feel her chances of getting the job would be lower if she wore a hijab to the interview. That is unfortunately a sad indictment of how far racisim still has to go.

And if she quite because management talked to her and criticised her about it, that would sort of confirm her suspicion. But I doubt they outright sacked her for it because that would leave them in a lot of trouble.

But this is all a lot of speculation and maybe she overreacted to a simple comment on her hijab? Also, if she's comfortable not wearing one to an interview, why wouldn't she comforable not wearing one to work?

I dunno. I'm trying to find a middle ground here but too much is just speculation.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Hm, yeah. But I didn't think management or anyone said anything about it. I personally think she was expecting a lab job and got an office one instead, or felt too overwhelmed with the tasks she would have. Her husband rang in and said she was ill and resigning. So that's started a whole new gossip topic...
So it could be completely unrelated and everyone's inner racist is coming out?
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

It's such a weird and pointless thing to get upset about.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Well obviously, only terr'rists gun wear a heeee-jab an gun dun tuk are jerbs an blow us up.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The girl who was training her said she came to the interview and looked like - I quote - "a normal person". Ugh what's wrong with people??? I'm not even that P.C. and this pisses me off!
Quote by mind_meld
The girl who was training her said she came to the interview and looked like - I quote - "a normal person". Ugh what's wrong with people??? I'm not even that P.C. and this pisses me off!

yea, Othering people is crappy and the worst part is they probably weren't meaning to be malicious. It's like when 'gay' was synonymous with 'lame/bad' and people had no idea what they were doing.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Last edited by steve_muse at Apr 8, 2016,
So they told her she couldn't wear it, or...?

There seems to be more to this story. It's not made clear why she quit. Were people racist directly to her face?
Quote by mind_meld
What has this got to do with being PC?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
That it does.

Talk to your colleagues like Ibanez said.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
That it does.

But do it dressed like the guy on the left.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Banjocal
What has this got to do with being PC?

Well, she's not being Mac, that's for sure!

It's a bit strange for people to be calling her dishonest

But I feel like there's more to this story that you don't know about
I have nothing important to say
I'd say you don't know all the details and at the moment all this is just speculation and gossip.
hijabs and stuff are fine

what is annoying is when there's one rule for one person and another rule for another

like when i was in the lab they required extreme strictness on having hair tied back, no flowing clothes etc. basically anything that could catch fire or get in machinery

and then there's someone with flowy hijab on

nice

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
So they told her she couldn't wear it, or...?

There seems to be more to this story. It's not made clear why she quit. Were people racist directly to her face?
No and no. Of course there is more. What I'm saying I don't like is the fact everyone is speculating and saying this stuff, and assuming she is in the wrong or something and her husband is controlling her etc. For all I know it might be true but at the same time it might not be true at all.
Well I sort of have. I haven't been too vocal around everyone but today I tried to say just give her the benefit of the doubt. Whatever her reasons were for anything, I'm just genuinely puzzled how other people think she was dishonest. Is everyone supposed to declare their religion or something? What if the next person came to their first day wearing a cross? No one would care.
If it was the Hijab she was wearing, then I dont see what the issue was either, but you are basing your assumption that it was "straight up discrimination" on gossip and rumors. She may have just quit because she also had another job offer or some other perfectly reasonable reason.
Yes it was the hijab not the burqa. I'm saying the discrimination was in the gossip that followed. As ultimate slash said, it's such a pointless thing.
Quote by RAB11
Also, if she's comfortable not wearing one to an interview, why wouldn't she comforable not wearing one to work?

I think it's terrible that she more than likely did have a better chance at getting hired by not wearing it. Wearing a hijab to work or an interview should really be a non-issue by now.

Although, I wondered as well, if she was able to not wear it that day at the interview why then does she have to wear it later at work? (if she's able to not wear it when she chooses)

I guess what I mean is, why was it okay for her to not wear it one day, but not the next. And if she is able to not wear it when she chooses, why then wear it to a normal work day when she had already thought (apparently) that it might be a problem?
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by kabadi.man
I think they do actually so that employers can accommodate their religious needs i.e prayer rooms, religious holidays etc. Not being religious myself I hadnt thought much about seeing "religion" on an application form until now as I always put "none" (although technically I am a Jedi )

ahh, well cant remember where I heard this quote but "A person is smart, people are dumb"
and it takes people to gossip !

The infinite wisdom of agent K. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
Quote by RAB11
I could totally understand why she might feel her chances of getting the job would be lower if she wore a hijab to the interview. That is unfortunately a sad indictment of how far racisim still has to go.

Hijabs are the shackles of 2nd class citizens.

Is it racist or sexist?
Quote by steve_muse
yea, Othering people is crappy and the worst part is they probably weren't meaning to be malicious. It's like when 'gay' was synonymous with 'lame/bad' and people had no idea what they were doing.

^This.
Maybe she quit because she didn't like the job and you all need to quit your watercooler speculations.
Quote by JustRooster
Maybe she quit because she didn't like the job and you all need to quit your watercooler speculations.

They're better than watercooler awkward silences or sexual harassment in the workplace, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by RAB11

You seem to be conflating race and religion. There was no mention of her race anywhere.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You seem to be conflating race and religion. There was no mention of her race anywhere.

I mean you're right, but

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Arby911

No, but race and religion are often conflated. And the UDHR gives them equal footing in Article 2.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Banjocal

I mean you're right, but

Yeah, let's add some butter to that popcorn.

A pretty strong case could be made that anyone who automagically assumes a specific race when "hijab" is mentioned is the one who has a racist mindset...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Yes Arby because some white girl was afraid of coming off as a terrorist for wearing a turban. Because we all know that's the stereotype going around. Oh wait
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, but race and religion are often conflated. And the UDHR gives them equal footing in Article 2.

Immaterial. You and I have (nominally) the same rights. We are not the same*.

*I'm smarter and better looking. You are marginally funnier...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Carnivean
Yes Arby because some white girl was afraid of coming off as a terrorist for wearing a turban. Because we all know that's the stereotype going around. Oh wait

Hijab=Turban?

No white Muslims?

You're a racist. And I'm still not sending you those pictures.
Charles Darwin
Quote by K'Nuckles
Jesus Christ mate

In my defense, it should be clear by now that my bar is set incredibly low

Quote by Arby911
Yeah, let's add some margarine to that popcorn.

ftfy
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
yep
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by Arby911
Immaterial. You and I have (nominally) the same rights. We are not the same*.

*I'm smarter and better lookinginfinitely older, I saw the mountains rise from the sea, be worn down and rise again. You are marginally funnier...

No, we're not the same. And neither are 'racism' and 'religious discrimination', but the shorter of the terms is often used - incorrectly - as a shorthand.
Both racism and religious discrimination are bad(yea, shorthand alert), but they are - or at least should be - the same magnitude of bad.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I would argue that, on a significantly frequent basis, racial stereotypes are mixed into the language used when discriminating against Eastern religions, etc. - that a lot of religious discrimination against the archetypal Eastern person following a religion from their part of the world often uses language against and stereotypes based not around said religion(s), but instead around cultural and aesthetic traditions of countries that the individual doesn't even necessarily come from.

thus the Trump supporter trope and people generally being unable to distinguish between a Sikh and a Muslim, calling Muslims "sand-bannableterm?", "rag-heads" and such. Or people thinking that a building with Eastern classical architecture is necessarily a mosque, etc.

But they're still different things. And the folks who do the things described above are usually incredibly incredibly racist anyway.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Hijab=Turban?

No white Muslims?

You're a racist. And I'm still not sending you those pictures.

I actually didn't say there are no white Muslims. I said there are stereotypes that white Muslims don't face.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, we're not the same. And neither are 'racism' and 'religious discrimination', but the shorter of the terms is often used - incorrectly - as a shorthand.
Both racism and religious discrimination are bad(yea, shorthand alert), but they are - or at least should be - the same magnitude of bad.

I'm not sure, one is fixed, the other is chosen? (For the most part anyway, recent social developments in "I can be whatever special snowflake I want" notwithstanding.)

I can think of a few religions that wouldn't get much traction if a practicing adherent cried "discrimination", but race based discrimination is always invalid.

Quote by Carnivean
I actually didn't say there are no white Muslims. I said there are stereotypes that white Muslims don't face.

Nice backpedal.

You're still a racist. And I'm still not sending you those pictures. Quit asking.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 8, 2016,
Page 1 of 2