Hi,
I've had the Bad Monkey for a while now and it's been good. Am thinking about upgrading it with something like a Maxon 808 something a bit better quality. Is it worth it? My budget it around 120 euros and I'll be buying it from Thomann.
Thanks!

PS I mostly use it with the gain 0 volume max settings.
🍗🎹🎶🎼🎧🎤🎮👾🎸🎨🎷⚽️🎱🏁🎺🎻🍮🍰🍪📱👻🐔🐣🐥🐤🐽🐷💀👽💩💸🚽👻
Last edited by Guitar137335 at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by Guitar137335
Hi,
I've had the Bad Monkey for a while now and it's been good. Am thinking about upgrading it with something like a Maxon 808 something a bit better quality. Is it worth it? My budget it around 120 euros and I'll be buying it from Thomann.
Thanks!

Yes, it´s definitely worth it! Bad Monkey is not that Bad for the price (I used to have one years ago), but Maxon OD808 is worth every single cent. And in the setting you are about to use it, works really Great!. So go for it, dude!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
My Bad Monkey sucked tone. Replaced it with a Budda Zenman. Much, much happier now.

Not sure why the Bad Monkey is recommended so much - others have reported the same tone loss. Maybe it's just specific rigs

My Joyo Vintage Overdrive works great as a Maxon clone. It was $30.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
My Bad Monkey sucked tone. Replaced it with a Budda Zenman. Much, much happier now.

Not sure why the Bad Monkey is recommended so much - others have reported the same tone loss. Maybe it's just specific rigs

My Joyo Vintage Overdrive works great as a Maxon clone. It was $30.

Eh, Bad Monkey is a Tubescreamer copy (with few changes) and every tubescreamer-type pedal do rather drastic changes to your tone so I'm not sure what you are going on about the tone loss. But when you turn it off for cleans, yes there is a tone loss. The buffer it has sucks ass.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Guitar137335
Hi,
Thanks!

If you want a transparent overdrive - get the AC Booster from Xotic - it doesn't alter your tone like tubescreamers and clones.
Green Monkey
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Assuming you're using it for a metal boost: Either Green Rhino or Duncan 805. Very flexible and noticeable gain boost, certainly more oomph in the level knob's boost (when gain is 0) than the bad monkey. Wider tone control, too.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by reverb66
If you want a transparent overdrive - get the AC Booster from Xotic - it doesn't alter your tone like tubescreamers and clones.

That´s absolutely true, I have the AC Booster and it really IS very transparent. But in my experience it really excells much more in other areas: it can add very nice round bottom end and beatiful chimey top end to your cleans. I also agree that TS type pedals (including the Maxon808 which I also have) DO alter the tone, but for that setting with zero gain and full output that is the point: they push the already driven amp in exactly those middle frequencies, required to make the high gain sound tighter, with more bite.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 8, 2016,
Absolutely worth the upgrade! The Bad Monkey is a solid pedal for the money (I used to have one to boost a Peavey Windsor into metal territory), but the Maxon OD 808 is a definitely a superior pedal you can't go wrong with.

Plenty of other great OD pedals out there which others have already mentioned as well.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Assuming you're using it for a metal boost: Either Green Rhino or Duncan 805. Very flexible and noticeable gain boost, certainly more oomph in the level knob's boost (when gain is 0) than the bad monkey. Wider tone control, too.

The Maxon would be a solid choice but these two are also both really high-quality TS-alikes with some useful tone-shaping features that would be worth checking out.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by MaaZeus
Eh, Bad Monkey is a Tubescreamer copy (with few changes) and every tubescreamer-type pedal do rather drastic changes to your tone so I'm not sure what you are going on about the tone loss. But when you turn it off for cleans, yes there is a tone loss. The buffer it has sucks ass.

That buffer was my problem with it. I noticed a major change. Pedals with buffer problems are a waste of space and money IMO. You can do better. Plenty of True Bypass tubescreamers out there that don't suck tone.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I love the Monkey. I use the mixer out to the amp (it sounds better to my ears). I also use the 805 overdrive, which has a 3 band active EQ.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
it's a wee bit muffled-sounding when on, and its buffer isn't the best when off. so yeah, you can do better. whether it's worth spending the extra on the maxon, I dunno. you're probably talking noticeable-but-slight improvements, and you're paying probably 4-5 times the price of the bad monkey for those subtle improvements. FWIW I thought the joyo vintage overdrive metalmingee mentioned sounded better than the bad monkey (it's sold on thomann under the harley benton brand name) and it's a similar price, but then some people have had problems with joyo build quality whereas the bad monkey doesn't sound just as good but seems to be reliable.

the digitech/hardwire tube od is pretty much a "better" bad monkey, and was reasonably-priced (about £45), but it's been discontinued and last time i looked thomann didn't have any in stock.

another thing to consider if you're using it as a boost is that the bad monkey (and most tubescreamer clones in general) doesn't have a ton of level boost on tap so getting something with more output boost on tap can be a good idea. the hardwire i mentioned does, the visual sound route 808 (but again thomann doesn't have them any more ) does too, and I imagine some others do too.

EDIT: do you have any other buffered pedals currently? the boss sd1 is very nice but can have bleed in bypass which is cured by another buffer in front of it. if you have another buffered pedal it's worth a look, i like it a lot- slightly different from a tubescreamer (more edge, treble and not just as honky but still middy) but in the same ballpark. probably not worth it if you don't have another buffered pedal, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 8, 2016,
I have a Bad Monkey and it is a good cheap OD for a boost. I have removed it from my board for a GFS greenie which has 3 modes to it so I can get TS808/TS9 sounds and 2 modified versions. it cuts better and is true bypass. but any decent TS pedal will do you fine. I just find it really hard to spend $150+ for an OD pedal.

There is no audible difference between a TS9 and a Maxon 808, there is just a price difference.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ apart from anything else the maxon 808 actually isn't an 808, it's a ts10.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I remember hearing something about that and some of the Ibanez TS differences also a while back
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i think it's the analogman site where it says that

have to admit the marketing works... i tried the od808 and od9 head to head, before i knew what was what, and I did think while they sounded very close indeed, that the 808 sounded marginally sweeter
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Crucially, a TS10 minus the dodgy construction.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i think it's the analogman site where it says that

have to admit the marketing works... i tried the od808 and od9 head to head, before i knew what was what, and I did think while they sounded very close indeed, that the 808 sounded marginally sweeter

No that is what they wanted you to think
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How bout a Digitech Hardwire CM2? They sell for bout $40 used (us) but its a damn good ts flavored overdive, has 2 modes: one mid-heavy, one not so much. I prefer it over the TS9 and it works great as a booster or boostee, gets along very well with other pedals.

I'm a fan of the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, too, killer od if you'd prefer a crispier gain tone. I dig the Mosfet setting so I personally think its a better pedal than the FD3, but there's that too.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^^ (rob) yeah absolutely

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Crucially, a TS10 minus the dodgy construction.

i dunno, i haven't tried the original. but it does look a bit flimsy, as you said.

didn't the 808 have half-assed bypass for a while, though, while claiming it had true?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by metalmingee
That buffer was my problem with it. I noticed a major change. Pedals with buffer problems are a waste of space and money IMO. You can do better. Plenty of True Bypass tubescreamers out there that don't suck tone.

Fair enough. To me who has the boost on 24/7 the buffer is quite irrelevant but for a gigging musician who needs to change between cleans and dirt on the fly it is definetly a problem.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3