This reminds me of a quote I heard once,“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” - Isaac Newton

whats goin on here guise

Goodness, that's a huge picture.
Last edited by Aeolian Harmony at Apr 8, 2016,
Quote by Weaponized
This reminds me of a quote I heard once,“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.” - Isaac Newton

That's a great quote! Not sure where you saw that attribution though?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Yah that's like a Darwin quote I'm pretty sure. Also politicians are dumb about basically everything when it comes to science and technology so what else is new.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by Arby911
Damn idiots. Both of them are clearly too ignorant to sit on the "intelligence" committee...

http://www.ibtimes.com/feinstein-burr-draft-encryption-bill-would-require-tech-companies-decrypt-messages-2350722

Ignorant morons writing laws on stuff they don't understand. Reminds me of that buffoon in Alaska a decade or so ago that went around saying the "internet is a series of tubes".
Let's say this bill passes. This would force companies to remove E2E encryption (like recently Whatsapp announced).

Does this still mean that I can get E2E encryption over here? I'm not in the US thus this bill should have no effect on me, and I want E2E encryption in Whatsapp to chat with other people in my country.
Or would it basically force Whastapp to remove E2E from its whole service (and not just towards its US citizens), fucking me in the process too?
fwiw our PM tried to ban encryption a while back so you're not COMPLETELY fucked
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I am against that law. I want to know that the intelligence agencies have to do some work to break my rights. At least then I know some people had a bad time.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Banjocal
fwiw our PM tried to ban encryption a while back so you're not COMPLETELY fucked

Huh. As in encryption across the board?

wat
He didn't seem to understand how banks work

I mean he was obviously told how stupid a remark it was but this is a dude who said

Quote by borderline fascist dude who fucked a dead pig and dodges taxes (I don't like our PM very much this is my rant)

For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by gonzaw
SHPX GUR CBYVPR

Darnit, seems I'm going to jail. See you guys in 10 years

Fuck the Police?

If I'm right I'm gonna feel like a shpxv-ng genius.
Is Feinstein the dumbest person alive or does it just constantly, coincidentally seem that way.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Banjocal

Damn. Just when I thought I'd forgotten about that, someone has to remind me.

"Ban all encryption! Wait, if there was no encryption anyone could access my email and online banking and offshore bank accounts and other stuff ? What even is encryption?"
I have nothing important to say
Quote by gonzaw
Let's say this bill passes. This would force companies to remove E2E encryption (like recently Whatsapp announced).

Does this still mean that I can get E2E encryption over here? I'm not in the US thus this bill should have no effect on me, and I want E2E encryption in Whatsapp to chat with other people in my country.
Or would it basically force Whastapp to remove E2E from its whole service (and not just towards its US citizens), fucking me in the process too?

No, but seriously I want to know this

Should the US/UK/etc get to propose bills and shit that affect the whole world?
Quote by gonzaw
No, but seriously I want to know this

Should the US/UK/etc get to propose bills and shit that affect the whole world?
I'm pretty sure they tried something comparable in the 1700s
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Dreadnought
Is Feinstein the dumbest person alive or does it just constantly, coincidentally seem that way.

Feinstein is a straight up imbecile. When she was a state politician in the 80's she stupidly dropped information on the Nightstalker case on television, which resulted in Richard Ramirez destroying the sneakers he'd used in all previous attacks (he saw the broadcast!). Then there was the gun debacle....where Feinstein herself carries a loaded firearm, but she wishes to deny that privilege to everyone else.

She's a moron and a hypocrite.
Quote by Banjocal
I'm pretty sure they tried something comparable in the 1700s

ECHELON. Quite recent. Not necessary anymore since the Patriot Act essentially gutted the Constitution, but ECHELON was a real thing. Read about it and be stunned.
Quote by gonzaw
To be fair to David Cameron, I find mummies very frightening too. I wouldn't want to be encrypted with one

Quote by TobusRex
ECHELON. Quite recent. Not necessary anymore since the Patriot Act essentially gutted the Constitution, but ECHELON was a real thing. Read about it and be stunned.
I was actually talking about the long-term effects of colonialism, had they not got into that "human rights" bullshit but yes ok also that
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Politicians don't know how computers work, to them they're just magical boxes that do stuff.
Quote by kalypto
Politicians don't know how computers work, to them they're just magical boxes that do stuff.
a lot of republicans view women the same way
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Quote by Banjocal
a lot of republicans view women the same way

Magical boxes that "have a way of shutting down rape babies"
The bill is out apparently:

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?a=files.serve&File_id=5B990532-CC7F-427F-9942-559E73EB8BFB

A covered entity that receives a court order referred to in paragraph (1)(A) shall be responsible only for providing data in an intelligible format if such data has been made unintelligible by a feature, product, or service owned, controlled, created, or provided, by the covered entity or by a third party on behalf of the covered entity

Fucking hell America

Here are some of the stuff that this bill will make illegal:
1) Lossy compression: Lossy compression, ranging from file compression to even stuff like JPEG is illegal. I mean, it makes perfect sense, what if a terrorists uploads a PNG image to your server with super important terrorist codes put in it using steganography? You are never allowed to compress this image because you won't be able to comply with this bill, since when uncompressing it it'll have missing info and the steganography code won't be retrievable.
So say goodbye to compression

2) Password security: How do web sites make your password secure these days? Well, when you register your user your password is hashed and stored in the database, the password itself is never stored. The hash is basically a small unintelligible list of characters that can be calculated from the password, but you can never calculate the password from the hash. So if your password is "ilovefurries" it'd be hashed to "f9b3b69ccfda6c79ffa5dd84379e066ca3c8674e42dc93963ccda013e3c1488a", however if you have that hash you can never recover "ilovefurries" again. To login the site just needs to hash the password you give when you log in, and check if it's the same as the hash it has in its database
Why is this done? Because website security is basically impossible and hackers constantly gain access to these databases and get a list of all users and passwords constantly. It happens to everybody. If you ever received an email telling you to change your password for security reasons, then it happened to that site too. So when hackers get this list of users plus their passwords, right now they get the username plus the hash of the password. Because you can't get the original password from the hash, hackers cant' actually figure out your password to steal your account.
What would happen if there existed a way for hackers to reverse this code and get your password? Well, nothing really, they'd just gain access to millions and millions of user accounts and do whatever the fuck they want, from using those accounts to steal money, steal info, etc (imagine what would happen if they stole the Amazon account of like 1 million users).
This bill makes the above effectively mandatory. The bill prohibits the use of hashes like I mentioned before, so now there must exist a way to recover the password (because what if a terrorists uses a secret code in his password and we need to find out?). If such method exists, then hackers will use it to recover the passwords. Even if the passwords are encrypted, they need a key to be decrypted, and if hackers gained access to the database to steal the data it's 95% likely they have access to the key (that is stored somewhere in the server they just gained access to).

Those are the most stupid. If they wanted they could also ban software compilation (what if a terrorist includes a secret code in comments in his source code, but when it's compiled into binaries said comment is not compiled? We need that secret code!), anything related to hashing and message digests, etc.

So yeah, if they decide to enforce it then it will fuck everything up, no exceptions. If this bill actually goes through the most likely thing that will happen is them realizing they fucked up and just selectively enforce whatever they want, because if you obey the bill to the letter you should shut down the internet and all computers basically.
Anyways, if that happens hopefully every single tech company leaves the US so the rest of us aren't fucked
Can we just ban all of math too while we're at it, since that's what is essentially happening.

Good grief
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by gonzaw
Here are some of the stuff that this bill will make illegal:
1) Lossy compression: Lossy compression, ranging from file compression to even stuff like JPEG is illegal. I mean, it makes perfect sense, what if a terrorists uploads a PNG image to your server with super important terrorist codes put in it using steganography? You are never allowed to compress this image because you won't be able to comply with this bill, since when uncompressing it it'll have missing info and the steganography code won't be retrievable.
So say goodbye to compression

This reminds me: new Silicon Valley season starting next week
lol
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by gonzaw
Yeah, better watch it now because soon it'll be cancelled for promoting illegal activities

They invent lossless compression in the show, so technically it'd still be legal and wholesome