The title may have been misleading but here is the question explained.

Should I get a decent multi-fx or use that money plus the other money I have saved to get a great amp with effects built in?

I just picked up a Zoom G5 and love the hell out of it but am still looking to get a decent amp before I even worry about getting a $2000 guitar. I was thinking that many amps come with effects and foot switches so would it be more effective for me to get a great amp and just use some of the single pedals I have with it instead of the G5?
Why not both?

I run a G3 in the effects loop of an AC30C2. It is wondrous. Most amps that have built-in effects (not like reverb or tremolo, but like a multi-effects built in) are a jack of all trades, but master of none. So get a good tube amp for your base tone, and use outboard effects. Multi-effects like the G3 are great for delays, reverbs, etc. Use standalone stompboxes for preamp effects like distortion, compression, etc. though.

Now this is also dependent upon your genre and/or how much money you are willing to put into your rig at the moment. Multis like the Line 6 Helix can do amp/distortion simulation and effects to a very close degree (some say exactly) of having the physical units themselves. Same for units like Kemper and Axe-FX. But they are expensive. Also, some players of metal/other forms of br00tz are using units like the Axe-Fx for their tones.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 9, 2016,
You haven't given us enough info to help you yet.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well, I have the money for a decent amp at the moment even after the G5 but was thinking of going from 'decent' to 'great' in the amp department. I really want to get a great amp that will last and sound great.

I am not gigging right now since my job takes me all over the U.S for 2-6 months at a time. But want an amp that could handle a small gig if needed.

Not looking for a huge stack or monster combo amp that weighs 75.lbs.

Budget is $400-600 (would be putting the $250 I got the G5 for towards the amp if I go that route.)

I play hard rock mostly, but also play at church so need some nice cleans and the ability to work smoothly with a solid(or crap) PA. I really love metal but haven't really found myself playing it much, (maybe because finding a metal tone I like is not easy?)

At this point in my life I would prefer new but with amps being so cheap used compared to new it is hard to ignore the price difference.

I am in El Paso, TX for another week, then off to Richmond VA.

My pedal collection (thus far) Rocktron Sacred fire Compressor, Morley volume pedal, 1 Ibanez tubescreamer, Jekyl/Hyde drive/distortion/ 2 amp simulator pedals (those Joyo ones sound great) and a tuner ofc. I had been using a Zoom 9.2tt for the church gigs for years as I build up my single pedals.

I hope that is enough info.
Depends on where you're going with your music.

One really good tube amp is fun to own, but the combos *I* really like weigh 75-100 lbs and do maybe four things really well. As a result, I added pedals. And as OCD as I am, something newer and shinier always seemed to come along, and I've ended up with two and a half of those big 11-gallon flap-top bins full of closely packed pedals (to date). I didn't stop with "one really good tube amp," either, and I have a total of 15 of the suckers with the majority of them currently in storage. Don't even ask about the guitars.

It has gotten to the point where you can effectively replace a whole lot of really good tube amps with a really good modeler that 1.) has a whole lot of really good tube amp models built in and/or that 2.) has the ability to load a bunch of really good tube amp models from external sources and/or that 3.) has the ability to have you *create* models of amps that really don't exist.

While I'm at it, I should note that it's difficult to find just one "really good tube amp" (new) within your budget. Not impossible, just difficult. So I suggest going used, but very carefully.

That same modeler will usually have a pretty good library of FX built in, and while I have to admit to having some standalones that I love, I've been able to do a decent job of tweaking what's in the modeler to be very close.

At home I have a couple of options for being noisy; one is to plug that aforementioned modeler into a pair of decent powered recording monitors (mine are KRK Rokit 8's, with right around 100W each). They're close enough to a fairly decent PA in response that there's very little fiddling required to get the internal patches to sound the same on most PA systems. I can guarantee you that a miked tube amp will sound *very* different through a PA than what you hear at home.

Better yet, I can plug a set of headphones into that modeler and be absolutely baby-in-the-next-room quiet while blasting my ears into tinnitus. Very difficult to do with a tube amp.

That modeler is a LOT lighter to carry than a pedalboard and tube amp.

You can actually pick up/rent/borrow a solid state power amp with more power for less money than a really good tube amp. And you can find full-range speaker cabinets that weigh a lot less (particularly when the speakers are neo-magnet based) and that handle a lot more power and that give you clearly defined bottom end and better dispersion than most really good tube amps.
I'd personally go for a nice amp. I won't argue that modelers or sims can't sound good, because I have heard some great sounding ones. It's just that personally, I feel like every time I use a moddler or sims to jam on, it's like my tone has no real life. I'm not saying it doesn't sound good (because it usually does), I'm just saying that it feels so lifeless compared to my amp.

They just don't seem to have the same "feel" or dynamics that I get from my real tube amps. I always feel like I don't play as well with them. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is that makes me feel this way, but I just really feel like they will never offer the same mojo that I get when plugging into the real deal.

I also understand that everyone's in different situations in regard to what is really feasible to them, and sometimes a modeler maybe like the best solution. I'd just personally run my large tube amps quietly, rather than jam through something that feels sterile to me.

Of course that's just my 2 cents.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Carvin V3MC: compact, affordable, versatile, 36lbs, good pedal platform. Made in
San Diego, as I recall.
http://www.carvinaudio.com/products/v3mc
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by bass.desires

Should I get a decent multi-fx or use that money plus the other money I have saved to get a great amp with effects built in?

There are really close to 0 great amps out there that fit in this category. There are maybe a few OK amps with OK effects, but overall I don't think anyone has made something that is killer on all fronts. Maybe there was a H&K a few years ago that was close but can't remember the model

Maybe the Kemper Profiler head comes the closest at the current market:
http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/199/do/The_Kemper_Profiler.html
Quote by diabolical
There are really close to 0 great amps out there that fit in this category. There are maybe a few OK amps with OK effects, but overall I don't think anyone has made something that is killer on all fronts. Maybe there was a H&K a few years ago that was close but can't remember the model

Maybe the Kemper Profiler head comes the closest at the current market:
http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/199/do/The_Kemper_Profiler.html

His budget is like $1000 short of a Kemper, though.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
It really comes down to if you want to spend all your time messing around with a modeller or not... I personally do not like it. I don't want to spend all of my spare time screwing with some pedal just to have it sound half-decent. Buy a tube amp, upgrade the speaker and V1 preamp tube if you must, and plug the damned thing in. There. Sounds good.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
He's thinking about a $2000 guitar so he can make it a $1000 guitar and there you go - the extra $1000 he needs for the Kemper

Seriously though - I'd go for something good sounding and simple preferably. I don't know what to suggest exactly, but on my end the amps that I own, record and play most often are JCM900 head (50 watt), Mesa Mini Rectifier head, Orange Tiny Terror combo. I occasionally connect a pedal or two, mostly overdrive for extra gain and delay or analog echo for leads. Sometimes chorus for clean parts.
Quote by diabolical
He's thinking about a $2000 guitar so he can make it a $1000 guitar and there you go - the extra $1000 he needs for the Kemper

Seriously though - I'd go for something good sounding and simple preferably. I don't know what to suggest exactly, but on my end the amps that I own, record and play most often are JCM900 head (50 watt), Mesa Mini Rectifier head, Orange Tiny Terror combo. I occasionally connect a pedal or two, mostly overdrive for extra gain and delay or analog echo for leads. Sometimes chorus for clean parts.

Quote by bass.desires
/snip
Budget is $400-600 (would be putting the $250 I got the G5 for towards the amp if I go that route.)
/snip.

Thinking about isn't the same as 'has the money for'.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Thinking about isn't the same as 'has the money for'.

OK...but honestly I can't recommend him anything with lesser price tag that has all of it in one place...and it isn't garbage.

The H&K Switchblade was the amp + fx combo that I was talking about but haven't tested personally.

I think H&K now have the GrandMeister 36 which might be worth a look and can be integrated with some kind of midi floorboard enabled multifx like say the GT-100 (POD HD500 also I think), so you can save all presets on both amp and pedal and instantly recall. Again, that rig comes in price very close to the Kemper. There are other midi controllable amps, I am not sure exactly which, I think the new Randalls and Laney's have midi capabilities, I remember the older Laney VH and TT series did and they are also fantastic amps.

On a budget maybe a Marshall DSL40C and an used GT-10 in 4 cable format. The GT-10 can be programmed to switch the DSL's 2 channels and then you can get all the effects off the GT-10 while getting the preamp and power tones from the DSL. That would run about $600-$700 if both are bought used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
It really comes down to if you want to spend all your time messing around with a modeller or not... I personally do not like it. I don't want to spend all of my spare time screwing with some pedal just to have it sound half-decent..

These days most of the higher-end modelers are plug/poke/play.

Very few of us *need* to spend all of our spare time screwing with them just to sound half-decent.

But there IS the bunch that still needs help with their VHS machines.
I use my VHS in my rig as a tape delay...it's controls are set at 12:00...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Forgive the delay but I have been traveling a bit last few days.

From what I'm hearing, it would be better for me to just get a nice amp and get the pedals(or multi) for the effects I need. I just saw a fender delux reverb tube combo for only $300 at a local pawn shop. But didnt get to see the exact model. Looks like twin 10's and in good shape. Thoughts?

I'm not in a place where I can drop more than about $600 and that would be a huge price help.