I've got a 496R on neck position and 498T on the bridge. When I select the treble switch it turns on my bridge pickup and when I select rhythm switch it selects my neck pickup so both of my pickups work fine. However when I leave the switch in middle position only bridge pickup seem to work! Because if I turn down the bridge pickup volume/tone to 0 there is literally no sound coming out even if I have neck pickup set to 10/10.

Neck knob has no effect on the sound in middle position. Doesn't matter if neck knobs are set to 0/0 or 10/10 no sound will be coming out if the bridge pickup is set to 0.

How could that be? Can anyone help?
Like I said, both pickups work just fine individually
Open the little circle cover on the upper part of the back of the guitar. Squeeze the two aluminum pieces against the flippy knob in the center. Fixed.

The little metal bit is probably resting against the plastic knob when it's in the center position, not allowing it to contact the parts it needs to let the signal flow through. It would make sense when you're on rhythm because the plastic knob is completely on the other side of the pickup selector assembly.

If it still acts like a ding dong just replace it. It's a $10 part at the most.
Hang on, are you saying you get no sound in the middle position if the bridge pickup's volume knob is turned to 0? If I've understood you correctly, that normal. That's one possible way to wire two humbuckers with a 3-way switch, if you have either pickup's volume control to 0 you get no sound at all.

Do the neck pickup's volume and tone knobs work if the bridge pickup's volume isn't set to 0?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
However when I leave the switch in middle position only bridge pickup seem to work!

Does it sound the same as the bridge pickup alone? If it sounds different, then your middle position works as it should. That's really the best way to figure it out. And what Dave said is correct. It's common that if you turn one volume off, it turns both pickups off when you are in the middle position.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Dave_Mc
Hang on, are you saying you get no sound in the middle position if the bridge pickup's volume knob is turned to 0? If I've understood you correctly, that normal. That's one possible way to wire two humbuckers with a 3-way switch, if you have either pickup's volume control to 0 you get no sound at all.

That's it ... My Ltd is wired exactly like that.. My Jackson wasn't; it had completely independent volume controls...
Guitars:___________________________
'12 Gibson 1958 Standard Reissue
'14 Fender American Special Stratocaster
'14 LTD MH-1000FR STBLK
'14 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
'05 Ibanez RG320FM

Amp:__________
Laney IRT Studio

Guitar Effects:_____________________
Boss GT-8 Guitar Multi Effects Processor
Dunlop Original CryBaby Wah
TC Electronic FlashBack Delay
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
JHS Little Black Amp Box
Quote by Dave_Mc

Do the neck pickup's volume and tone knobs work if the bridge pickup's volume isn't set to 0?

Hey thanks... I figured it out on my own some time ago.

Kinda weird that it works like that, thought pickups are supposed to be independent from one another in mid position.

Thanks for clarifying!
Quote by Dave_Mc

I've been wiring them wrong for years if this is the norm!
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Does it sound the same as the bridge pickup alone? If it sounds different, then your middle position works as it should. That's really the best way to figure it out. And what Dave said is correct. It's common that if you turn one volume off, it turns both pickups off when you are in the middle position.

Yea, but in the OP, he said the neck volume control at 0 doesn't shut both off.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by nitrousable
Hey thanks... I figured it out on my own some time ago.

Kinda weird that it works like that, thought pickups are supposed to be independent from one another in mid position.

Thanks for clarifying!

you can wire them that they're independent i think. that might (could be wrong, i'm no wiring expert) result in the volume not totally hitting zero in the mid position though when both volumes are down.

Quote by JustRooster
I've been wiring them wrong for years if this is the norm!

i think you can wire them either way... i don't think either is "wrong". but historically I think it's the norm for you to get no sound in the middle position when either volume is down.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc at #33922349
you can wire them that they're independent i think. that might (could be wrong, i'm no wiring expert) result in the volume not totally hitting zero in the mid position though when both volumes are down.

i think you can wire them either way... i don't think either is "wrong". but historically I think it's the norm for you to get no sound in the middle position when either volume is down.

Historically you should be able to set a pickup's volume to 0 and you would still hear the other one. That's 50s wiring for 2 vol/2 tone. When I turn my neck down all the way in the middle, I can still hear my bridge pickup and vice-versa.

That's how you get nice blended tones.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Historically you should be able to set a pickup's volume to 0 and you would still hear the other one. That's 50s wiring for 2 vol/2 tone. When I turn my neck down all the way in the middle, I can still hear my bridge pickup and vice-versa.

Or you could rewire it like the Billy Gibbons goldtop and have no switch at all.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33922361
Or you could rewire it like the Billy Gibbons goldtop and have no switch at all.

You could totally do that, but I like the switch
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

ok so not historically then. the one that gibson tends to use these days on the standard models, i guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc at #33922376
ok so not historically then. the one that gibson tends to use these days on the standard models, i guess.

Yeah well I mean they have been using that style since the early 70s IIRC so I guess you'd be partially right. It's just not the classic style wiring you would find on a 50s piece or a post 2008 historic.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
yeah absolutely. just to clarify, i wasn't being sarcastic, i totally forgot about the 50s wiring thing (or more accurately didn't realise that it also affected the middle position), so pointing that out was definitely very helpful.

so basically you can wire either way, but what's happening to nitrousable's guitar isn't actually a fault, though if it annoys him it can be changed. Is that about right?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc at #33922398
yeah absolutely. just to clarify, i wasn't being sarcastic, i totally forgot about the 50s wiring thing (or more accurately didn't realise that it also affected the middle position), so pointing that out was definitely very helpful.

so basically you can wire either way, but what's happening to nitrousable's guitar isn't actually a fault, though if it annoys him it can be changed. Is that about right?

Don't worry, I knew it wasn't snark.

Yeah, I would say you'd be right. If he wants it changed it's definitely possible.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?