Hello,

I've recently started playing some bossa-nova with some friends and I kind of got hooked. I really like it and I'd like to buy an electro-acoustic with nylon strings for that kind of stuff (right now I'm using an electric).

I'm thinking about getting the Yamaha NTX700 (for its electric players-friendly neck - I've tried the NCX and even though I think I could get used to the neck, for what I have in mind, the NTX is probably better and will be more enjoyable for me in the long run - I have a resonator so I'm not a total stranger to that style of necks, but I can't say I prefer it...).

I saw a NTX900 at GC for a little less than the 700 costs ($492), but it's open box. Does it mean if I don't like it or if there is a problem with it I'll be out 15% of its price as a restocking fee? What does open box mean really? Is it probably a floor model that might have been a bit abused by customers? How much of a risk would I be taking basically is what I'm wondering, and is it worth it?

Or should I play it safe and buy an NTX700? There's one available at a GC not far from me so I'll go try it out for sure...
Usually open box is a guitar that was sold to a customer, who then returned it for whatever reason. Could be it has some type of blemish in the finish or maybe they just didn't like the sound. Usually they are a pretty good deal. I bought my guitar open box and I have yet to find anything at all wrong with it. I have played that very same guitar you are looking at and, like you, I really liked it. Nice action and nice sound, very light guitar to carry as well, comfortable. It is hard to go wrong with Yamaha, they generally make some real good guitars.
Quote by OliveG
Hello,

I've recently started playing some bossa-nova with some friends and I kind of got hooked. I really like it and I'd like to buy an electro-acoustic with nylon strings for that kind of stuff (right now I'm using an electric).

I'm thinking about getting the Yamaha NTX700 . . . . . . . . . . . . .

For the stuff you are doing I think the NTX700 would be just right.

Whether you go for the 900 is really up to you.
Last edited by Garthman at Apr 10, 2016,