As the title says, I'm looking for a Les Paul styled guitar for under £1000 new that can handle tuning down to C# standard.

I'm probably wanting passives, as I'd like to be able to use the guitar for different styles if I want, but also handle the heavy stuff when needed.

I've looked at a LTD EC 1000, which I really like, but the two Ive seen have EMGs, or Seymour Duncan Custom 5/Jazz pickups. I've not heard/played through the SD set, but I'm guessing they wouldn't do for drop tuning. Looking at different Les Pauls too, but not sure about the different types of pickups.

Currenty have a mexi strat and prestige ibanez rg. If the guitar comes with a slightly less powerful pickup, I could always swap the Dimarzio Tone Zone from my RG into the new guitar, leaving me with a less powerfull pickups in the RG (which I keep in E standard).

Absolutely MUST have a hard case for gigging.
Electra Omega or Omega Prime should fit the bill- my Prime is tuned CGDAEG. The one potential flaw for you would be the pickups. They're good, but they're more vintage output.

The Fernandes Monterey and DBZ Bolero would also be good choices, and because both companies tend to cater to hard rockers & metalheads, their guitars usually have hotter humbuckers in them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 10, 2016,
The Jazz and Custom 5 are great (and tight) for Drop tunings. Also check the Pegasus/Sentient set if you are doing any kind of progressive metal.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Go ahead and grab the EC-1000. Super solid guitars, I really enjoyed the ones I've got to play. And the Duncan's will be fine.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
I wouldn't recommend drop tuning a short scale guitar that far, you'd really need to beef up the string gauge to the point you'd need nut and saddle work to accommodate it. As Dspellman mentioned a long scale guitar will naturally work better in dropped tunings.
Moving on.....
Longer scale should work better, but really, 24.75" scale can handle I just fine. Besides my Omega Prime, I have several other guitars that size tuned CGDAEG. It is kind of a non- factor.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Longer scale should work better, but really, 24.75" scale can handle I just fine. Besides my Omega Prime, I have several other guitars that size tuned CGDAEG. It is kind of a non- factor.

You can downtune almost anything.

But a longer scale will always give you better definition in the bottom end.

If you have access to a piano store, go in and play the bottom five notes on one of the short upright spinets, and then walk over to a grand piano and listen to those same bottom five notes. On the spinet, it's difficult to tell the notes apart with any clarity. On the grand, they separate nicely due mostly to the longer string length. This is also why bass guitars are generally 34-36" scale rather than Les Paul scale.
I have a baby grand in the house, and- like I said- I'm not disputing that the physics of a longer scale works better for this.

All I'm saying is that- having done so for years- downtuning to some kind of C tuning isn't going to be a big deal on a 24.75" scale. Downtuning any lower, OTOH, would probably be quite a challenge.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have a baby grand in the house, and- like I said- I'm not disputing that the physics of a longer scale works better for this.

All I'm saying is that- having done so for years- downtuning to some kind of C tuning isn't going to be a big deal on a 24.75" scale. Downtuning any lower, OTOH, would probably be quite a challenge.

+1 i use a SG in C#std...13's on it and like it well enough.

I wouldn't go lower than that though on a 24.75" FWIW.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/