I play an Epiphone les Paul through a Marshall MG10 amplifier and I mostly look to play an alternative/classic rock sound. Any help?
You should save your money and get a new amp.

Or maybe a multi-fx modeller pedal.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
New amp. Keep your existing one as a door stop.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Yeah, pedals are a great way to spice up your tone cheaply, but really you need a decent amp to start with, or they're not going to do much to help you.

The MG may be "ok" (I say that with hesitation) to start out learning with, but its by no stretch a good amp. To me, it would make a lot more sense to save for a little longer (I know thats lame, but trust me it will be worth it), and pick yourself up a nice little tube combo.

Without knowing much more then you play alt/classic rock, I'd recommend something along the lines of a used Peavey classic 30. They seem to go for around $300 lot of times (really depends where you're located), and would nail both those genres. It's loud enough to keep up with a band, and still reasonable for at home use.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Christ I'm sick of seeing these threads.

The only answer to what pedals you should buy should start with...

What are you looking to do that your gear can't?

Yes your amp is objectively crappy. But it still amplifies your guitar signal and if you're jamming in your room it is plenty. If you are trying to get a better overdrive sound, buy a new amp... If you are looking for effects like delay, modulation, maybe pitch stuff that is a different answer.

While I agree if you have money and you can get a decent amp, there is literally no one where to go but upgrade. So that's an easy feat.

However Joyo and Behringer have some pretty solid affordable options for pedals. Even like Delta Labs and shit.

I really always liked the Behringer DR400, it's basically a Boss RV-3 clone that does reverb and delay except the Behringer has tap tempo capabilities when you hold the footswitch which is wicked.
So that's a REALLY fucking good first pedal. They also make a bunch of other boss clones that work alright and are much less than $50 at times.

So if there are neat sounds you are looking for I would look into those more affordable options. You'll be alright.

Otherwise, always good to upgrade.
I think that the visual sound h20 vi would be what I would start out with if you are ok with the drive tone. $60-$70 used off of reverb for a nice sounding chorus and delay.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What amps would people reccomend then? Seeing as I'm planning to buy a new guitar soon aswell, I'll be looking for an affordable option.
What amps would people reccomend then? Seeing as I'm planning to buy a new guitar soon aswell, I'll be looking for an affordable option.
What kind of budget could you pull together? It's all very well saying you need a new amp (and I agree with that notion insofar as if you want to improve your sound that's the first thing to change - there aren't too many pedals that will sound impressive through the MG10) but if you're trying to keep it cheap you might find you don't get all you're looking for out of the upgrade.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Well I'm only 15 so it will come from my Dad probably and we've been looking at some decent fender and Marshall amps that are priced around £100-£150, so around £100-£200 would be the budget
How much is a used Peavey ValveKing 112 combo over there? I picked one up for $130 in the states.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Orange Tiny Terror combo if you can, but Peavey VK on a budget is nice.

I wouldn't bag on the MG so bad if it does what you want it to do. If you're thinking alternative music, then some kind of fuzz/phaser/flanger/chorus should be in order.

Check Youtube for product demos and come back when you've narrowed it a bit.
When I was that age, my Peavey Bandit worked just fine for me. I think I have a Peavey Rage 158 too.

Smetimes it's more important to have a bunch of semi-useless effects to play around with. Keeps it interesting.
I was already considering purchasing a new amp, however I'm just wondering what I should buy as my first pedal, one I should use to get comfortable with deals, before I buy more.
^ I would suggest a multi-effects, then. So that you can kind of play around with a bunch of different effects to see what you like and what you do not. My rec in that field is the Zoom G3. Fairly easy to learn, versatile, and has professional uses.

As far as the Peavey Transtube stuff, it is pretty decent for what it is but to me it such a small movement in quality that I would suggest just to save up for a more vertical movement in amps. If you would rather get a pedal before an amp, the Zoom G3 will fit you for a while. I would not use any sort of distortion/overdrive pedal with a SS amp, though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Apr 11, 2016,
When I was your age I had a Marshall MG amp. It is good practice amp. I used to buy a budget pedal every now and then. These pedals felt like an improvememt.

Once I got a job and Invested in a tube amp, I noticed that most of these pedals were a waste of money. Eventually ended up changing all my pedals. The pedals do not need to be expensive but it should fit well with the guitar and amp setup.
Quote by Will Lane

As far as the Peavey Transtube stuff, it is pretty decent for what it is but to me it such a small movement in quality that I would suggest just to save up for a more vertical movement in amps.

I completely agree. That's simply what I had at the time...
Get a multi-FX pedal. If you aren't sure of what you are looking for and just want to try some effects, multi-FX is the best option. It will give you an idea of how all the different effects sound like, and most multi-FX pedals also come with amp models, so it will also give you an idea of how different amps sound like. So when you are buying a new amp and effects, you already know your preferred tone.

IMO as a beginner variety is more important than a great tone. Getting a tube amp now may not be the best option if you aren't 100% sure of what you are after.

Also, if you don't have much money to spend on an amp and your MG works just fine, I would upgrade it a bit later. Getting just a bit more expensive amp is not going to be a huge improvement. You could of course look at the used market. But yeah, I would maybe first get the mutli-FX pedal. As I said, most come with amp models. You'll get more variety.

Another option would be getting a modeling amp like Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox VT, something like that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
AVOID Peavey Transtube amps - I am at a loss as to why people keep recommending those terrible amps on forums - please stop - they sound terrible and are obsolete - any cheap digital amp like a Roland Cube smokes them.