I just picked up a laney ironheart irt120h and I'm looking for good cabs to go with it. I'm running it as a full stack and I know it has matching cabs but I want to explore my options. This amp is known to be powerful and I want cabs that you can feel the sound when played through. Im wanting 4x12 cabs and my budget for each is under 900. I would like honest unbiased opinions, thank you.
So, you want two 4x12 cabs to run a full stack? What style of music do you play? Do you really need that many cabs? Do you need a some extra oomph on the low end, oversized cab? Different cabs have different speakers, so we need some extra details as far as what kind of tone you are chasing. Where are you located? Are you okay with buying used?

You'll probably hear some arguments from folks that a 2x12 is more than sufficient - which it is. Honestly, with a 100 watt amp (if you don't have options to run it at a lower wattage) a 2x12 is all you need these days.

If your heart is set on two cabs, and you really really want a 4x12... I'd vouch for a 4x12 and a 2x12. You could always stack the 2x12 with the 4x12 - not a true full stack look, but gives you a lot more flexibility and options.

Give us some more details. You'll get a ton of different opinions and suggestions. You'll get to sort through it and make a decision that works best for you.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
I play thrash, hardrock, modern metal, and core. I like the full stack look, I play on fairly large stage areas in Missouri and my drummer uses a massive tama kit so us guitar players use 4x12 full stacks so it looks really cool, I'll admit its cocky but its metal lol. I run a Carvin v3 fullstack with v30 loaded legacy cabs. I like the legacy cabs but I'm looking for something new. And I have a randall 2x12 for smaller venues. I really have no problem with used cabs. I play mainly in the lake of the Ozarks and Columbia but we are planing on going to a few out of state shows. I was thinking of the Marshall mx412s but they seem cheaply made and I have yet to play one.
I give you about 3-4 gigs before you say "FUCK THIS SHIT" and start bringing only 1 cab, or your 212 . I lug a single 412 to gigs lots, and just about every damn time the thought of "FFS, I should have just took my 112" runs through my head at some pt

I will never deny that it looks badass tho. I'd personally just look for a couple of Mesa 412s. If you want matching, and only want to pay <900 each, then you might have to keep a close eye on the classifieds for a bit and just snag them as they come up. I doubt it would take long to find a couple of Mesa's used.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Apr 10, 2016,
OP - you da man! Full stack all the way! Now, that's some professional attitude and a younger back than mine I did the full stack thing, went half stack and now I am down to 2x12 currently downgrading to 1x12...but if you want that brutal look and sheer power, that's the way to go. It also disperses greatly when you play live and noone says you have to play it at full blast, although considering your choice of styles you probably will! \m/

Best bang for the buck is to scour local sales ads for used 1960a and 1960b cabs - these have the classic metal look and sound amazing. That'd be the first order of business. Lots of guys around here were selling 1960a's a few years ago, while downsizing and I have several friends that got fantastic deals on these cabs, about $350-$500 used with a little road tear on them which makes them even more legit.

Here's the "metal look":
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/1960A-300W-4X12-Stereo-Slant-Guitar-Cabinet-111282222.gc

Here's the better condition look:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Marshall/1960A-300W-4x12-Stereo-Slant-Guitar-Cabinet-111936320.gc

You can buy used from Guitar Center, I think they warrant it and do free shipping, or look at local ads.

Mesa Boogie cabs are a big darker and bass heavy and I like to pair these with bright and bitey amps like the 6505 for example, as they balance well. Might be a touch too dark for yours but might be worth a look. Again probably about $400 at the used market.

If you don't want to go this route, best bang for buck in big stack speakers is Carvin. They can load Celestions just like you'd find in Marshalls. Look at their Legacy series.
http://www.carvinaudio.com/collections/steve-vai-legacy-tube-amplifier-series
or these
http://www.carvinaudio.com/collections/vx-series-premium-baltic-birch-guitar-cabinets

Blackstar also is very close to these speakers, or just go with the cabs that come in your Laney range.

I think Avatar also does some nice custom speakers, so that might be worth a look.
If you have Legacy V30 cabs, it's probably counter intuitive to snag up Marshall cabs unless you merely want the aesthetic of them. Plus the Marshall cabs in your price range will likely have G12T-75 speakers which is a love/hate proposition. You'd want to demo one first somewhere if you are able. I don't care for G12T75 on their own. X pattern with a V30 is nice though.

Mesa might be interesting as an oversized cab option, but might be hard to squeeze into your budget if you only have 900 for two cabs, especially if you're having to pay shipping on anything. The Marshall Mode Four cab (MF400 or MF280), which would be oversized, might fill the niche on both ends - oversized and a marshall woohoo. Gives you a different look and a different style cab. They're not as common but do pop up on the used market. Biggest thing is making sure that when you buy used that they check to see what speakers are in it. Sucks buying a nice cab to find that someone stuffed some old crate speakers in it. The MF400 has G12K100 speakers in them while the MF280 has V30 speakers. The Vintage 30 speakers in the MF280 are Hellatone 60L type speakers.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Apr 11, 2016,
Mesa Rectifier cabs if you want to buy something. They go $450 - $500 used on the local CraigsList.

Look even more legit and get a custom flag for your band and put it in front of the cabs you have.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Aren't most mesa cabs loaded with v30s? Part of the reason why I was thinking the marshall mx412s was because they are a darker speaker and my ironheart is fairly bright. I love my carvins don't get me wrong but I don't like how bright the v30s make it sound.
Buy a pair of 2x12s.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jacrane74
Aren't most mesa cabs loaded with v30s? Part of the reason why I was thinking the marshall mx412s was because they are a darker speaker and my ironheart is fairly bright. I love my carvins don't get me wrong but I don't like how bright the v30s make it sound.

The old saw is that as the volume goes up, the bottom goes away. That's true of every Marshall stack I've ever used; the truth is that 100-120W just isn't enough power to produce good bottom end at volume.

My suggestion if you want to go "darker" is to continue using your Carvin/V30's and add an ISP Technologies Vector SL underneath (or maybe go with ONE 4x12 and the Vector SL).

These things have some very cool electronics built in -- you plug your head's output into the Vector, and it peels off the mids and highs and feeds them (with the full 100W power) back into the 4x12 (s). The bottom end it feeds into a 600W power amp built into the Vector and from there into the 15" subwoofer built into ported cabinet. The cabinet is about 30" wide (as are most 4x12s) but considerably deeper. LOTS of power for bottom end and all the "dark" you could possibly want.

Bottom left with the blue light on...:

Another way to go is to use just (for example) the right side pair of speakers in each 4x12 in a stack so that you're essentially using a column of four speakers. It still *looks* mighty and sounds great and you have far fewer problems with icepick treble. If you're using eight speakers, each one is getting just 12.5W (in a 100W amp), but if you cut the number of speakers actually being activated, you double the power to each speaker. We tried that and decided it sounded much better. It's worth a look.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 11, 2016,
Well I was wanting a bit darker tone but I don't want to battle the bass player what I might do is just do an x pattern with my v30s.
Quote by jacrane74
Well I was wanting a bit darker tone but I don't want to battle the bass player what I might do is just do an x pattern with my v30s.

Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out.
Quote by jacrane74

Might just try a speaker swap then? The Celestion G12K100, Emi MOD and Emi Swamp Thang get a bit more low-end going than V30s, but they won't cut nearly as well.
It's hard to tell how a speaker will sound without knowing the cab though, and I know jack all about your cabs to be honest.
You can also look into oversized cabs instead, or maybe get a port installed by someone who knows their stuff. Ports are cool because a properly sized one can make your tone warmer/fatter, but still attenuate the really low frequencies, so your bassist isn't gonna want to punch you. Most people get by with a regular old closed-back cab though.

Cheapest option might just be putting an EQ-pedal in your effects loop and boost the lows and/or low mids. Might just do the trick.
If you absolutely must have two new/different 4x12 cabs, the best bet within your budget is gonna be two used Marshall 1960 cabs (A and B models), or if you get lucky/can stretch the budget just a hair, two used Mesa Recto cabs. I would try to find someone selling a full stack if possible - You should be able to score a good deal taking two cabs off of someone's hands).

Another option might be trying out some new speakers in your existing cabs. Maybe some G12-K100's or some H-magnet 75-watt Creambacks mixed w/V-30's? I bet either of those combos would rule!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
K100's FTW!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/