Just completed a new track tonight called 'The Creatures of Earth'

Hoping to share it here with anyone interested.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/ya01yOshzfg

And as always I'm up for some C4C so just send your work this way if you're interested.
Thanks for the review mate!

More songs should be written in odd time signatures! My drummer never wants to do it though

It starts out with a solid stoner-ish rhythm.
The lead guitar that starts next is nice and melodic, nothing too complex, I like it!
a bit after the 1 minute mark you go into kind of a Planet X vibe, except it's without Virgil's fucked up drumming .
The flow throughout the track is great and the part at the 2.20 mark reminds me of prog bands such as Spock's beard (one of my favorite bands). Are you doing half-time after that? a lot of things happen in this song but it feels natural to a prog fan like me.

The last guitar solo is epic as fuck! good job on that one! did you do all the instruments by yourself? if that's the case, impressive!

You got a prog track with all the necessary spices here dude. It would be nice to get either some lead vocals at some point or just some harmonies adding to the atmosphere of the track. Will you be playing at Progfest this summer? To me it has commercial potential (as in commercial prog that is).
Last edited by Zerath at Apr 21, 2016,
I know man, odd timings are where it's at.

Thanks for the return. Hehe yeh this track is a bit more simple to other tracks I've done - I've written some pretty fucked up drum parts in the past

Yep doing half time after the 2:20 section. I play the guitar (and might play bass parts myself in the future) but every other instrument - drums, keys, bass - are vst or virtual instruments on this. I'm a bit of a one man band at the moment, not found any suitable other musicians to play this music with.

If you liked this one I finished another track a while back this month, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0QnowxeEQg

Cheers mate
Steve Hart,
Thank you for the review! Your tune: Mix sounds a bit bass-y, but my headphones emphasize bass a bit. Otherwise, the audio quality is good. Wouldn't mind hearing some vocals on this at times, but sounds good as is. Otherwise, the song sounds cool, and has nice melodies; nice guitar playing. Synths are good. Assuming you used some sort of drum software, there is a surprising amount of tempo variation.
Last edited by aaron aardvark at Apr 22, 2016,
Quote by Steve Hart
I know man, odd timings are where it's at.

Thanks for the return. Hehe yeh this track is a bit more simple to other tracks I've done - I've written some pretty fucked up drum parts in the past

Yep doing half time after the 2:20 section. I play the guitar (and might play bass parts myself in the future) but every other instrument - drums, keys, bass - are vst or virtual instruments on this. I'm a bit of a one man band at the moment, not found any suitable other musicians to play this music with.

If you liked this one I finished another track a while back this month, you can check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0QnowxeEQg

Cheers mate

Cool track once again man! You should release it on spotify! Do you have a really fucked up song that you've made then? would love to hear that if that's the case!

Keep up the good work!
Quote by Zerath
Cool track once again man! You should release it on spotify! Do you have a really fucked up song that you've made then? would love to hear that if that's the case!

Keep up the good work!

Hey man check out this track. It's from my more experimental days and is pretty messed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW9kMbDFz5k
Haha that was definitely fucked up! King Crimson/Mr Bungle territory!

What I'm interested is how you go about creating this kind of music, where do you start? with guitar? drums?

Are you using theory to make it all fit or is it just noodling around and testing things out?
When I try to make songs like this I usually take it too far until it just sounds like a psychosis.
First off, thanks for taking the time to check out my track and provide your feedback. It means a lot to me.

"The Creatures of Earth" pulses and grooves. I felt the track was A LITTLE boomy near the beginning. Your lead work is very tasteful and melodic. Your phrasing definitely has a proggy feel. The transition at 2:20 was very airy and open. I think it was an excellent change, allowing the track to develop. The section at 3:35 caught me off-guard. I think there is a very interesting contrast between the high-pitched marimba(?) and full-bodied guitar timbre. The snare roll near the end of the track sounded a little robotic, but I dig these types of outros. Overall, this was a very enjoyable listen. Thanks for sharing your work with me.

Peace!
Thanks for reviewing my track, sorry it took to long to get back; busy week.
Love the stoner rock vibe, the tone is really nice, I think the lead should be a bit more fuzzier though. Really good playing though, the nuances and intonations are spot on. The track flows quite well, no transitions felt forced. Could have used vocals but I still enjoyed immensely.
Great job, can't wait to hear more!
Quote by Zerath
Haha that was definitely fucked up! King Crimson/Mr Bungle territory!

What I'm interested is how you go about creating this kind of music, where do you start? with guitar? drums?

Are you using theory to make it all fit or is it just noodling around and testing things out?
When I try to make songs like this I usually take it too far until it just sounds like a psychosis.

I really like King Crimson and Mr. Bungle's stuff hehe

Well when I wrote that piece it was a combination of coming up with guitar parts first then writing the rest of the instruments over it and/or writing drum parts first and then the rest of the instruments.

I used pretty much no theory, it was all by ear on what I thought sounded interesting. Back then, as you can probably hear, my writing style was to come up with lots of different ideas and then try and join them together one after the other. Nowadays I focus more on the song writing process and getting the different sections to sound like they compliment each other in a sort of coherent way.

I'd like to hear, as you say, songs like this that you've made even if it does sound like psychosis

p.s thanks aaron, silvadolla and poisonouspot for your return, I appreciate it.