I picked up a used Mesa single rectifier solo 50 head today that I just finished paying the layaway for and when I plugged everything in, it wouldnt really get any volume. Then the amp started to run really hot, you could even smell it. When a fuse flickered, I just unplugged it. Could it be a fuse? Im new to high end amps.
Hopefully it's just some bad power tubes.

If you just purchased it I'd take it back and see what the shop says. I wouldn't do anything to it that the shop could blame that I broke it.

What speaker cab did you hook it up to and did you use a speaker cable or instrument cable?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I didnt even hook it up to a cab yet. I dont think the power cable is the original. I was using a fender california series cable to plug into my guitar. I tried using a different outlet. It turned on for a sec and now it just wont.
Quote by ModestSlaughter
I didnt even hook it up to a cab yet. I dont think the power cable is the original. I was using a fender california series cable to plug into my guitar. I tried using a different outlet. It turned on for a sec and now it just wont.

That's why it wasn't making a sound and got hot. Amps need a speaker load. Try it again with a speaker cabinet rated for at least 50 watts. Hopefully the worst case is you may need some new power tubes a fuse.

Congrats on your Solo 50 - I have one too.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by ModestSlaughter

What?

Also, use a speaker cable to the cab in the future.
I had no idea a cab was required. This is my first REAL amp and I have almost no knowledge of gear. It didnt look like it was plugged into anything when I tested it in the store so I had no idea. I just now learned about impedence and I feel like a dumbass. I wish they wouldve asked me if I knew anything about tube amps when I bought it. So what exactly may need to be replaced, other than power tubes? Is it possible it could just be kaput now?
well the fuse is there to protect the amp. so there's a good chance the fuse blew before the transformer blew but it's still not good for the amp.
is there a chance you destroyed the amp? definitely.

I mean where did you think the sound was going to come out of?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Let me guess...you bought a new amp and didn't bother to read the manual at all?

All Mesa manuals start with "Caution: Always connect a speaker" or something of that sort.

All tube amps require speaker load (connection to speaker) at all times.

Hopefully the fuse stopped you from frying the transformer or most likely what you thought was a fuse were the power tubes frying...and the smell most likely was the transformer but most Mesas are usually designed to blow fuse, power tubes and then transformer...so lets hope it will be the cheaper option.

I saw a kid blow a $3500 Mesa his lawyer dad just bought him at a show by doing exactly what you did, luckily for him it was the power tubes, they went "pop...pop...pop...pop" with fireworks and smell while the other 3 bands' guitarists were rolling on the floor from laughter. Long story short, we saw the kid next month with the same amp and he said a power tube swap fixed it.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 10, 2016,
Wouldn't really get any volume?

Is this a head or a combo? Is there a big 12" speaker in the box or not?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
you can blow your amp turning it on with out a speaker cab plugged in ...... make sure you get the correct speaker cable for the speaker cab too , guitar cable will plug in but it's not correct and will cause damage in the long run .... so you need a cab and correct speaker cable to hook to the amp

down load the manual and read it several times , ask questions if there is something you don't understand
Quote by AcousticMirror
well the fuse is there to protect the amp. so there's a good chance the fuse blew before the transformer blew but it's still not good for the amp.
is there a chance you destroyed the amp? definitely.

I mean where did you think the sound was going to come out of?

A friend complained that the SLO I got from you wasn't making any sounds after trying for a week. It wasn't connected to a cab.

Not sure how it didn't get destroyed or even blow a fuse.
Quote by ModestSlaughter
I picked up a used Mesa single rectifier solo 50 head today that I just finished paying the layaway for and when I plugged everything in, it wouldnt really get any volume. Then the amp started to run really hot, you could even smell it. When a fuse flickered, I just unplugged it. Could it be a fuse? Im new to high end amps.

It's probably a fuse - do not replace it yourself - trigger the warranty ( all mesa amps have a 5 year warranty) - if you replace the fuse with a non-mesa fuse you'll void your warranty.

I would frankly simply return the amp all together and get another one.
Quote by reverb66
It's probably a fuse - do not replace it yourself - trigger the warranty ( all mesa amps have a 5 year warranty) - if you replace the fuse with a non-mesa fuse you'll void your warranty.

I would frankly simply return the amp all together and get another one.

Warranties have exclusions for a reason. They wouldn't cover user error/ignorance.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
OP- what did you expect to hear with no speakers?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Warranties have exclusions for a reason. They wouldn't cover user error/ignorance.

This is certainly a difficult set of facts to justify!
Quote by reverb66
This is certainly a difficult set of facts to justify!

Not really...

Quote by ModestSlaughter
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
no doubt ...... it would be like buying a 10 year old car , bring it home and change the oil , forget to put oil back in it and seize the engine .... not the sellers problem
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Apr 13, 2016,