I am very seriously considering buying one of these for $200 to $500.
So, uh, show me something objectively better in a Stratocaster hardtail in the same price range (or lower), in new or excellent condition. I want it to be a factory original guitar, too, not a parts-piece.
I'd like it to be an actual fender, but that's not a huge issue.
Pickup in southeastern Ohio or western West Virginia, or shipping to the US is a requirement, though.
Last edited by MasterStohner at Apr 10, 2016,
I would replace the volume knob with a 2-way switch. Fuck what ya herd.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Ippon
I got my used Hello Kitty Squier for $100 in flawless/mint condition. I upgraded the PU to a Motor City Afwayu.

When did you get it for that? And was it the 3/4 one with the normal strat pick guard and 'Hello Kitty' written on it, the one pictured, or the black version of the one pictured?
The price seems to have exploded in (more) recent years.
I have the "road kill" version...it's the one that looks like it got hung up in the wheel well of a Chevy Suburban.
Here's a hardtail Bill Lawrence for a little extra.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Lawrence-Hardtail-All-Red-Strat-Made-in-Japan-Late-80s-to-Mid-90s-by-Morris-/111724106872?hash=item1a03469478:g:uBIAAOSwDNdVsK0O

Ehhhh...ne'mind- I just looked: $129 shipping cost to the USA.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 10, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Dude holy fuck the $129 shipping. NO.

EDIT: Sort-of beat me to it. I appreciate the suggestion though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
But, does it djent?

My daughter would love it because of Hello Kitty.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Something like that really needs a Floyd Rose to at least make it worthwhile, I mean, one pick-up with no coil split? Sure I get that one pick-up aids sustain, but no floyd rose to make dive bombs and do cool shit with, what's the point other than being 'unique'?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
Something like that really needs a Floyd Rose to at least make it worthwhile, I mean, one pick-up with no coil split? Sure I get that one pick-up aids sustain, but no floyd rose to make dive bombs and do cool shit with, what's the point other than being 'unique'?

The point is having a guitar with a functional neck unlike my warped-ass JT300. Also, I like Hello Kitty and pink.
And I really haven't seen anything else I want, especially from Fender, for anywhere near the same price range.

Also I put in a bid for $202.50 + $15.24 on a lightly used one and I'm having a small panic attack for some reason.
The Hello Kitty is one of those guitars with a cult following and for a Squire is kinda sorta collectable. If you can afford it go for it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
They play reasonably well and I came very close to buying one a couple of years back. Wish I had now simply for the value increase and to piss off the haters.

I don't know that I'd buy one now when there are several Squier Vintage Modified versions that are in a similar price range and arguably a better guitar.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
They play reasonably well and I came very close to buying one a couple of years back. Wish I had now simply for the value increase and to piss off the haters.

I don't know that I'd buy one now when there are several Squier Vintage Modified versions that are in a similar price range and arguably a better guitar.

As said, I placed a bid at $202.5 + shipping. The Vintage Modifieds I'm finding are $299+ unless it's a Telecaster, and something about the Stratocaster headstock and body just feels 'right.' Can't explain it. I want a Stratocaster, not a Telecaster.
Last edited by MasterStohner at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by MasterStohner
As said, I placed a bid at $202.5 + shipping. The Vintage Modifieds I'm finding are $299+ unless it's a Telecaster, and something about the Stratocaster headstock just feels 'right.' Can't explain it. I want a Stratocaster, not a Telecaster.

Where are you located?
Charles Darwin
Quote by MasterStohner
Pretty near Jacobsburg, Ohio (AKA Bumfuck, Nowhere)
EDIT: USA, for my foreign friends.

Can you travel at all? Wheeling?

Also, look at EvilBay auction #121945846243
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
Can you travel at all? Wheeling?

Also, look at EvilBay auction #121945846243

I couldn't find anything for that number.EDIT: Oh you were just talking shit on eBay. EvilBay is a thing too. Yeah this seems like a decent deal, I'll probably put a bid if I don't get the Hello Kitty one. Thanks. I don't want to go $200 for anything with a tremolo, though.

Also yes, I can travel to Wheeling.
Quote by MasterStohner
I couldn't find anything for that number.EDIT: Oh you were just talking shit on eBay. EvilBay is a thing too. Yeah this seems like a decent deal, I'll probably put a bid if I don't get the Hello Kitty one. Thanks.

Also yes, I can travel to Wheeling.

It's a far better deal, and you don't have to bid, it's Buy-It-Now and free shipping. A dimes worth of wood to block the trem and you're set.

I didn't even look very hard, there may be others. There are a couple of marginal deals in Wheeling on CL, but not much. OTOH, there are hundreds in Pittsburgh.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
It's a far better deal, and you don't have to bid, it's Buy-It-Now and free shipping.

I didn't even look very hard, there may be others. There are a couple of marginal deals in Wheeling on CL, but not much. OTOH, there are hundreds in Pittsburgh.
The Pitt is a bit far. Also, I was looking through Google Shopping which I didn't realize excludes eBay.

Thanks again, I'll do more looking on eBay.
Quote by Arby911
A dimes worth of wood to block the trem and you're set..
I sorta just want a hardtail really. IMO blocking the trem makes a guitar incomplete in a way, and blocks what is supposed to be functionality. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I'd much rather have a hardtail than a blocked/decked trem.
Quote by MasterStohner
The Pitt is a bit far. Also, I was looking through Google Shopping which I didn't realize excludes eBay.

Thanks again, I'll do more looking on eBay.

Good luck!
Charles Darwin
Quote by MasterStohner
Thanks again, I'll do more looking on eBay.I sorta just want a hardtail really. IMO blocking the trem makes a guitar incomplete in a way, and blocks what is supposed to be functionality. Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I'd much rather have a hardtail than a blocked/decked trem.

For what it's worth, a decked trem that isn't blocked and has the spring tension set close to the point at which it would lift off the body can still be used for vibrato but, when it's left alone, is as good as a hardtail for stability.

As far as the Hello Kitty Strat is concerned, the two things I can tell you about that are that you'll be paying more than the guitar is worth for the novelty/rarity value, and that as much as I'd like to have one myself I imagine the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
For what it's worth, a decked trem that isn't blocked and has the spring tension set close to the point at which it would lift off the body can still be used for vibrato but, when it's left alone, is as good as a hardtail for stability.
I have my JT's claw sunk in all the way, not sure if the springs suck or what, but it still floats about 1/32nd" off the body and throws off the tuning. May also be getting caught on the 'knife edge' of the pivot screw, I am unsure.
EDIT: It only has the 3 trem springs I got with it, which are mismatched in color and length.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As far as the Hello Kitty Strat is concerned, the two things I can tell you about that are that you'll be paying more than the guitar is worth for the novelty/rarity value, and that as much as I'd like to have one myself I imagine the novelty would wear off pretty quickly.
Also, my favorite color is pink. Even if it weren't Hello Kitty I'd pay marginal extra for that alone.
Sounds like you just really want that guitar. I hope you get it!
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Sounds like you just really want that guitar. I hope you get it!

What I want is a full-sized hardtail strat, preferably pink and preferably fender, for a somewhat affordable price.
I'd sort of like more pickups and tone or a selector switch too.
Maybe I'm just asking too much for my price range.
Well, I put in a bid so I guess I'm stuck with it unless someone goes $205.
It wouldn't be totally out of the question to rout a second pickup cavity and add the extra controls
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
It wouldn't be totally out of the question to rout a second pickup cavity and add the extra controls
What does that kind of cusomization do to the value of a guitar? For that matter, this sounds supiciously expensive.
EDIT: Expensive to have done professionally, I mean. I'm clumsy with those kinds of tools.
Quote by MasterStohner
What does that kind of cusomization do to the value of a guitar? For that matter, this sounds supiciously expensive.
EDIT: Expensive to have done professionally, I mean. I'm clumsy with those kinds of tools.

For that guitar, it will reduce it in the eyes of a collector, but it's still gonna be worth around $200 if you do a good job and add a decent pickup and selector switch/wiring.

I don't know for certain but I suspect that was the only truly pink hardtail (There's a Paisley Pink one, but it's only sorta pink) released by Fender or their subsidiaries (except the mini, which doesn't count).

A regular hardtail and some pink paint might solve the dilemma?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
A regular hardtail and some pink paint might solve the dilemma?
I see a red Strat and I want it painted PINK
What else is there, anyway? Could I get an unfinished bullet somewhere?
EDIT: Actually I'm finding damn few hardtail bullets.
EDIT2: I was too devoted to the Stones reference I guess.
Quote by MasterStohner
I see a red Strat and I want it painted black?
What else is there, anyway? Could I get an unfinished bullet somewhere?

I can think of a half-dozen ways to acquire/create the guitar you want.

None of them are in your budget range.
Charles Darwin