Page 1 of 2
Somewhat of a philosophical question, but I am trying to do some research.

Why do you play your instrument? For the way it makes you feel? Because you like to see yourself grow? Maybe you like to be closer to your favorite music. I would really be interested in knowing your opinion.

I really encourage you to respond, even if its just one sentence. As I said, I am trying to do some research for a college class, and any response is much appreciated.

Thank you!!
Because it's fun. Isn't that the basis for any instrument?
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Whats with the guitar related questions in the Pit lately? Are the other forums that dead?
To express myself. Whatever my mood there's a guitar waiting for me, and songwriting is something that has grown from my playing.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
There's not really a simple reason for me. The best way I could put it without writing a thesis is that there's a sense of escapism that is created by playing on your own, along with music having a great ability to create connections with others. It's just an overall great skill to have.
I'm good at music and need to play as many instruments as possible
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by annamoor
Why do you play your instrument? For the way it makes you feel? Because you like to see yourself grow?

This sounds like it's about touching yourself.

I guess at this point I keep playing because it's a habit. Like when you have been doing something until the point that you find it strange that at some point you didn't. After a while you don't really think about the why and you just do it. There are other things I could pursue instead like painting or writing but it's easier to continue doing something that you already do than do something different. It's something that I'm good at doing and there is no reason to stop.

There's something strange about playing music outside though, like on the sidewalk in the evening when nobody is around to really listen. Like you're just playing to the world and that's all that matters. Nothing else really exists.

Plus getting paid is cool.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I've never really done any covers or anything really; it's really about creating something for me, that's fulfilling, now that I can record it's WAYYYY more fun.
Partly because I thought it would be fun (and so far it is, albiet expensive) but I thought I might be able to please at least somebody with it, and that was the other part. Really, it was rather arbitrary. If the pawn shop had contained an electric cello, bass, or viola for the same price, I would have gotten one of those. It's not about guitar, it's about fun and what I can do to validate myself as having a purpose, I guess.
If my arms or hearing are (further) crippled, I can't imagine how much of a blow it will be to my ego.
I honestly have not picked up the guitar in about 4 years.

All on the computer now.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
'cause when you get the good equipment, you can make it sound really fucking good. It is pleasing to the ears, and it is exciting to open unfamiliar territories of ROCK.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
It's fun

I only play like 10 mins a day though and I never actually practise, just play some tasty riffs
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
I started playing because I thought the guitar was cool. I continue playing because it is now a part of me I can't give up. Also, it is always a challenge, because no matter how good I get, I can always get better
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I don't play nearly as much as I used to, mainly just when I get to jam with friends. When I first started playing it was something fun to do, a challenge, something I could constantly improve on and learn more about and get better at, whether it be technical ability or music theory or songwriting. Then when I joined a band it was all about getting better at playing music with others, then as we all got good at playing together, as a unit, it was heavily focused on songwriting, with us getting into more prog type stuff, experimenting with time signatures and key changes and everything else. We were getting a lot better and writing better songs that didn't sound like we just stuck a bunch of riffs together and had actually started playing gigs somewhat regularly when the band just started to fall apart. There's still the possibility that we could get back together in the future, and I still get to jam with some of them occasionally, but it's pretty much dead.

Now I've got another band that's kinda getting started, but it's hard to write music while being constrained by the other band member's ability to play. There's a big experience and skill gap, especially compared to the old band where we were all much closer in skill level. I have fun with it and enjoy myself, but I have no need to practice and don't have that extra drive from being pushed to keep up with my band mates and pushing them along as well, instead I now feel like I'm waiting for band mates to catch up. I play by myself very rarely now, mostly just when I have other people to play with. As a result any improvements since then have been small and unnoticed. The only times I just pick up the guitar and play are if I have an idea pop into my head that I have to get out, but even that's not happening as frequently anymore since I haven't been listening to music as much lately, which is what usually triggers new ideas.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm just not in the best spot with music right now.
Quote by whywefight
To make up for my miniscule penis

this

im considering getting a wangcaster so it will really be like an extension of my penis

~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
It's therapeutic and one of maybe three things in life I don't get bored of.

Alternatively, I can play noise and annoy the shit out of people which is fun
I play guitar because it's a challenge, and it's something physical/dexterous; both of which are things I kind of just enjoy. Also I just live for music, I easily spend more than 1/2 or even 3/4 of the day listening to music constantly, and most of that is actively listening as well.

If you want a more psychological reasoning I started to play guitar because music always moved me and when I turned 15/16 I started going on sites to watch live videos of a band I was really into (this was just before YouTube more or less), and from there the fire just kept building until I bought a guitar a couple months later. At first I probably started off just trying to emulate, but after a few weeks I started to think more proactively in the way of 'emulation isn't good enough, I want to be there on my own merit', and since then I've worked daily to improve and really earn that feeling 'I'm up here right now because I worked for it'.

I'm a big believer in the thought that talent isn't what makes you a good guitarist - it's hard work, discipline, and passion that makes you a good guitarist. Skill is far more important than talent, because talent has its limits whereas skill can always be improved because in order to become skilled you have to develop a mind set of hard work. I recently got to experience this first hand where someone was more musically talented than me but over the last couple months I'd been working hard and now I've surpassed them. And they can't seem to understand why I'm now better than them when I guess they used to look down on me. I earned that.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
fun and therapy.

it was the first "thing" i was good at and it has always been a great outlet for all kinds of emotions. i get tingly when i don't play for a few days. almost like an addiction.

after 13 years of playing i just can't not make music anymore.
Started playing because I was bored, I play for fun, to kill time, and to kill my eardrums
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Probably the fact my elder brother died just a couple months before and was a player had something to do with it, a way of trying to bond with him after death.
Quote by Anthony1991
I play guitar because it's a challenge, and it's something physical/dexterous; both of which are things I kind of just enjoy. Also I just live for music, I easily spend more than 1/2 or even 3/4 of the day listening to music constantly, and most of that is actively listening as well.

If you want a more psychological reasoning I started to play guitar because music always moved me and when I turned 15/16 I started going on sites to watch live videos of a band I was really into (this was just before YouTube more or less), and from there the fire just kept building until I bought a guitar a couple months later. At first I probably started off just trying to emulate, but after a few weeks I started to think more proactively in the way of 'emulation isn't good enough, I want to be there on my own merit', and since then I've worked daily to improve and really earn that feeling 'I'm up here right now because I worked for it'.

I'm a big believer in the thought that talent isn't what makes you a good guitarist - it's hard work, discipline, and passion that makes you a good guitarist. Skill is far more important than talent, because talent has its limits whereas skill can always be improved because in order to become skilled you have to develop a mind set of hard work. I recently got to experience this first hand where someone was more musically talented than me but over the last couple months I'd been working hard and now I've surpassed them. And they can't seem to understand why I'm now better than them when I guess they used to look down on me. I earned that.

Yeah but when you're gifted with music and you work hard, you are unstoppable
So yeah, give me another 10 years, most of you couldn't keep up to save your life
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by Pastafarian96
Yeah but when you're gifted with music and you work hard, you are unstoppable
So yeah, give me another 10 years, most of you couldn't keep up to save your life

Too bad the vast majority of those people that are gifted don't work hard. And to be honest, talent literally only gets you so far. If anything talent gives you a few steps down the road to start with compared to a standard person, point is you're still on the same road and the person that struggles the most will have the more valuable journey.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I started out because I liked music, because it was a new creative experience, and because I seemed to pick it up quickly. Now I play because I enjoy being creative, and guitar is something creative that I'm moderately good at, so it can be very rewarding.
I play guitar because there is no greater satisfaction than getting it right, especially when people are around.
if I'm not creative a few hours every week (writing songs or other things, playing guitar or bass, video projects etc.) I start being unable to control my anger and self control issues, to the extent that I stop being a good person.
Being "gifted" is a load of shit

It's all about mindset where musicians will allow themselves to go. Doesn't matter how shallow you are. Even the worst fuckboys and sellouts are musicians. Not ones that I like, mind you, but still representing the word "music"

My mindset is also different than one that wants to be virtuoistic in the sense that I don't care and that I learn at my own pace
Quote by flexiblemile
if I'm not creative a few hours every week (writing songs or other things, playing guitar or bass, video projects etc.) I start being unable to control my anger and self control issues, to the extent that I stop being a good person.

It's great that you can self-identify that and are that in touch with those feelings.
|
'....even the President of the United States sometimes must have to stand naked...."

Do me a favour, pop into Songwriting & Lyrics and add a comment to one thread, any thread, but contribute.

----

www.soundcloud.com/christobaldo
I originally started to join a band with my friend. That kind of fell through. Then I was in a band for about 7 years. Since that ended I pretty much just play now and then whenever the mood strikes.

I would really like to advance my playing. I'd like to make more music, I just can't find something that drives me to play every day and to keep my interest up.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
its a really expressive instrument, so it fits most genres of music

it helps me with songwriting, and it's my main tool for creating sounds.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

At first it was a puzzle that wanted to figure out.

Then an identitity I could attach myself to.

Now it is something that is unique in that it requires my total undivided attention to execute well. Not many other things require you to give so much of yourself as music.
Last edited by Duaneclapdrix at Apr 11, 2016,
my father plays guitar, my grandfather played guitar. my surname is IV so i guess it just got passed down with the name. being exposed to my father playing and singing from an early age really inspired me to pick it up though.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Because it's fun.

Nothing more and nothing less.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 2