Hello,

I've been interested in getting a Tube Screamer, a TS clone, or some other similar pedal for playing blues. I have an MI Audio Crunch Box (Marshall in a box), but it is generally a bit too gainy to do get creamy singing blues tones.

Because I want to find a blue pedal, of course I found my way to the Tube Screamer direction. Most people say that TS and other overdrive pedals like them work their best with the pedal gain low and their output volume high in order to push the power tubes of a tube amp that they are going in to. Unfortunately, my amp is a Hot Rod Deluxe which I am not lucky enough to be able to turn up until it naturally distorts (and the gain channel on that amp sucks, at least in my experience with it).

My question is does there exist some pedal which kind of achieves that great sound of a Tube Screamer pushing the output valves of a tube amp that would sound good going into an amp that is pretty clean? I was thinking maybe the Lovepedal Super 6 with TS or boost pedal before it would be great, as I really like the Stevie Ray Vaughan sounds that this setup achieves, but I can only really afford $100 for a new pedal right now. Maybe a TS with volume set high into another TS with volume set low could achieve what I'm looking for, or maybe I should look at something with asymmetrical clipping like the Boss SD-1 or Fulltone Fulldrive because amps have asymmetrical clipping. Do you guys know of anything that could achieve what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
An OD can help you get that edge-of-breakup tone you're looking for. Personally for a bluesy almost clean tone i prefer a more transparent OD. For boosting a distorted tone, like metalheads such as myself are wont to do, I prefer a tubescreamer for the bass cut/mid hump. Your preferences may be different.

I have a Fulldrive and it can do what you're asking pretty well. It tends to be more transparent than a tubescreamer. Another OD that gets a lot of love around here is the Paul C Timmy, though it may be a little above your budget.

Technically what you're doing when you use a pedal as a boost is driving the preamp section. The boosted signal hits the preamp tubes harder and they begin to clip before it gets to the power section.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Apr 10, 2016,
Putting a signal boost up front is going to push your preamp tubes i'f I'm not mistaken. But pushing the front end of a clean amp will result in a louder signal, while pushing an already distorting amp will lead to more saturation.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
you can push a tube screamer into your hrd's clean channel. tubescreamers were meant to push the first stage of the amp into overdrive. you can still keep the volume down on the amp.
A pedal doesn't push the power tubes.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
It's hard to go wrong with a fulldrive.

I also like my timmy clone.

A visual sound double trouble is two independent TS's in a box (also have bass boost switches). Easily found under $80.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I also posted this on The Gear Page and like UG, the Fulltone Fulldrive and the Visual Sound Double Trouble were both recommended. Which do you think is better for going into a HRDx? The sound I'm aiming for is something along the lines of SRV.
I believe SRV used tubescreamers. Seems like at one point he was stacking two at once or something like that. Maybe I just dreamed it... So since the Double Trouble is TS-based, I would say that one. Do you have a way to try both firsthand?

Sorry to derail the thread a bit: trashed, just out of curiosity what is your Timmy clone? Is it one you built yourself?
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Last edited by BCKRedBaron at Apr 10, 2016,
Quote by AcousticMirror
you can push a tube screamer into your hrd's clean channel. tubescreamers were meant to push the first stage of the amp into overdrive. you can still keep the volume down on the amp.
A pedal doesn't push the power tubes.

The volume pedal on my HRDx is before the preamp tubes, as I assume it is with most amps. The HRDx doesn't have a master volume before the poweramp on the clean channel though, so if I have a boosted pedal and then turn down the volume, won't it just cause the signal from the pedal to be reduced before it enters the preamp, thus not causing any tube overdrive?
the volume on the clean channel is after the first tube stage. so what is getting boosted by the pedal is that first stage.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
the volume on the clean channel is after the first tube stage. so what is getting boosted by the pedal is that first stage.

Ok, thanks for that. I just checked a schematic and it is just after the first tube but before everything else, meaning I should be able to push just the first preamp valve into overdrive like you said.
Quote by BCKRedBaron
I believe SRV used tubescreamers. Seems like at one point he was stacking two at once or something like that. Maybe I just dreamed it... So since the Double Trouble is TS-based, I would say that one. Do you have a way to try both firsthand?

Sorry to derail the thread a bit: trashed, just out of curiosity what is your Timmy clone? Is it one you built yourself?

SRV was stacking two, even three at some point. I would go fulldrive for versatility, but if you want SRV tone, i would get the double trouble. Its two TS's in a box used for less than the price of one tubescreamer. On top of that a good buffer, and the bass boost switches.

Tim Green (greeny23) built it for me. The exchange rate was in my favor (Oz to US), so it was a no-brainer. Good build.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The HRD has a infamously bad gain sound but you should still be able to get something usable with a Tubescreamer methinks. Also check out Amptweaker's units. They do the clean amp-distorted pedal thing well. I am thinking the Tightdrive.