One of my old Fender cases is coming apart at the hinges. It´s one of These:

It has hinges that don´t need screws, they´re sort of clamped into the Aluminium Frame. My question; any idea where I can get replacement hinges like that?
Check your local hardware store or ebay, I'm sure you'll find something that will fit. I'm guessing they look like this:

and if so, there are tons on ebay.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Okay, either way, your local hardware store or ebay are probably your best bet. Maybe a luggage store or something.

That or contact Fender or whoever made the cases back then and see if they sell replacements.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
How about a better picture of the hinge in question? Your seen-in-profile pic above is dramatic but not very helpful...

Are these them?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by Arby911
How about a better picture of the hinge in question? Your seen-in-profile pic above is dramatic but not very helpful...

Are these them?

Exactly!

Those are the ones.

Thanx
Quote by kentuckyklira
Exactly!

Those are the ones.

Thanx

The good news is that's the right hinge.

The bad news is you're shit outa luck finding replacements...

I'd go with lengths (or a full length) of piano hinge the width of the outside edges of the aluminum and held on with Chicago screws instead of rivets.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'd go with lengths (or a full length) of piano hinge the width of the outside edges of the aluminum and held on with Chicago screws instead of rivets.

+1 on the piano hinge I fixed an old Jackson case with one, though I had access to a pop rivet tool, as far as the Chicago screws I prefer to call them sex bolts
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
+1 on the piano hinge I fixed an old Jackson case with one, though I had access to a pop rivet tool, as far as the Chicago screws I prefer to call them sex bolts

Yup, that's what you call them in Chicago.
If its just the pin thats fell out or worn through, you can typically take an appropriate sized nail and slide it through then mushroom the pointed end with a hammer and punch.
Quote by Dick Savage
If its just the pin thats fell out or worn through, you can typically take an appropriate sized nail and slide it through then mushroom the pointed end with a hammer and punch.

Wow that's fancy using a hammer and punch, I just bend the pointy end of the nail with some pliers, although I'm sure that is wrong on some level!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Wow that's fancy using a hammer and punch, I just bend the pointy end of the nail with some pliers, although I'm sure that is wrong on some level!

I done the bent nail trick on a vintage 62 strat tweed case for a friend and when he opened it one day the nail was facing the wrong direction and poked a nasty hole in the fabric...

Since then it's been hammer and punch all day.
Quote by Dick Savage
I done the bent nail trick on a vintage 62 strat tweed case for a friend and when he opened it one day the nail was facing the wrong direction and poked a nasty hole in the fabric...

Since then it's been hammer and punch all day.

Can't argue with that
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine

Only problem with pop rivets is they leave a pretty significant protrusion inside the case, making it easy to scratch things up on them, the Chicago screws are smooth and flat.

Frankly unless the case had some other value, I'd just toss it in the trash and get a new one...
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Only problem with pop rivets is they leave a pretty significant protrusion inside the case, making it easy to scratch things up on them, the Chicago screws are smooth and flat.

Frankly unless the case had some other value, I'd just toss it in the trash and get a new one...

I riveted mine from the inside leaving the rivets protruding out, they didn't stick out much and less than the feet on the case. I did it for the challenge and because I was flat broke at the time.

+1 and just buying a new case as putting the piano hinge was a pain and took a considerable amount of time.

Plus when those cases get old the plastic can become brittle I have had a couple that the plastic cracked and gave way where metal feet were, making it next to impossible to stand the case up, in fact the one I fixed with the piano hinge did that and has since been trashed.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 12, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
I riveted mine from the inside leaving the rivets protruding out, they didn't stick out much and less than the feet on the case. I did it for the challenge and because I was flat broke at the time.

+1 and just buying a new case as putting the piano hinge was a pain and took a considerable amount of time.

Plus when those cases get old the plastic can become brittle I have had a couple that the plastic cracked and gave way where metal feet were, making it next to impossible to stand the case up, in fact the one I fixed with the piano hinge did that and has since been trashed.

Necessity is a mother....

Been there, done that (bought the shirt but stole the hat...)
Charles Darwin