Hoi,

So I came by this video I've seen a long time ago and as I heard this guy playing, I decided to play along to a certain part of the song. There are, however, some chords I'm unfamiliar with. As far as I know, he uses Am Barre, G and F (again, not sure but something like that). He also picks a few notes during the descending but that is not the case.

I can't remember the exact parts of which I was unsure but you can start by watching the video from 4:45, the descending starts a few seconds later. What are all the chords he uses in the descending?

https://youtu.be/k4ixAfJ1LuI
I only had a brief look at the video and I don't have my guitar at hand so I hope I'm not way wrong with this, but I believe he might be playing Am-G-F-E at the descending part. All using the E barre chord shape. And of course, he's doing a lot of licks and frills at the same time, but I believe the underlying progression is the aforementioned.

I like this video though. The intro of his song always cracks me up.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
And also he starts using some new chords around 5:10. The question is what. And I'm not sure of the E, as it doesn't really look like a standard E Barre in the vid.
E isn't a barre chord, though it creates a movable shape.

Dm sliding to Em7/D temporarily. xx0231 to xx0453. The others are Am and E.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
Every time I see that video, I get slightly annoyed that it has that title, and that when people search "unbelievable world's best guitar player" that's the video that pops up.
Quote by Billie_J
And also he starts using some new chords around 5:10. The question is what. And I'm not sure of the E, as it doesn't really look like a standard E Barre in the vid.

Kevätuhri meant the movable "E shape" (0 2 2 1 0 0) when he said "E barre chord shape".

The chords in the 5:10 section are open Dm, Am and E major, then back to Am.

Quote by fingrpikingood
Every time I see that video, I get slightly annoyed that it has that title, and that when people search "unbelievable world's best guitar player" that's the video that pops up.

Yeah, I agree.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The whole piece is 99% standard triads in either open or bar chord shapes. At 4:45 he's not really playing chords, he's just holding his hand in place while he plays some melodic fills.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you
Quote by Billie_J
A lot of the piece, (without the embellishments), is based on the "Andalusian Cadence", Am, G, F, E.

As far as "E barre chord" goes, that's a very confusing term to apply to E major "open". Calling it, E major "shape" barre, goes a bit better to explain it.

The root, or the note the chord is named after, happens on the E-6 string. Accordingly, barre chords formed from the E major open chord, are often called "root 6th" barre chords.

A major open, is the 2nd principle "shape" used to construct barre chords.

Its "root" occurs on the A-5 string. So, a barre chord formed off the A major open shape, could be referred to as a, "root 5th" barre chord.

I'm wondering if what you mean by, "doesn't look like a standard E barre chord", you might be talking about this "root 5th" form, where the E major chord occurs at the 7th fret.

In any event, knowing the ""intervals" (which note is the 1st, 3rd, or 5th), of E major and A major open, gives you the knowledge to construct all the most common "power chords" used in rock and metal.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by Jet Penguin at #33922754
Actual Fancy Chords incoming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ujO7qpoK40
Drop Db? Best major key, though.
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
For sure. Genius. A bit obsessive, but genius.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Ted was so crazy. Shame all we have is the one album and the books, youtube notwithstanding.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
For sure. Genius. A bit obsessive, but genius.
What you define as "a bit obsessive", I define as, "at what point does he actually play something which sounds like Danny Boy"....?

(I suppose at this juncture I should apologize for my lack of musical sophistication.. )
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 11, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
What you define as "a bit obsessive", I define as, "at what point does he actually play something which sounds like Danny Boy"....?

(I suppose at this juncture I should apologize for my lack of musical sophistication.. )

The whole idea of jazz is to not sound like the piece you are playing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
The whole idea of jazz is to not sound like the piece you are playing.
Mission accomplished!
Nah I just mean his books usually. If you read his books, he had some serious guitar OCD. Wrote out like hundreds of pages of chord voicings, and patterns, many of which are inefficient or impractical but there for completeness and whatnot.

Danny Boy is totally in there. He just plays an elaborate intro and reharms the living crap of it, and modulates up a major third at one point.

That being said, the man does not change a single melody note. Neither does Bill here:

https://youtu.be/X5Sg0WGy9YA

Just as there's something to be said about doing an ultra faithful rendition like the one Kristen posted, there's an equal something to be said about possessing the musicality to fully explore a melody and all it offers.

Quote by Jet Penguin
Nah I just mean his books usually. If you read his books, he had some serious guitar OCD. Wrote out like hundreds of pages of chord voicings, and patterns, many of which are inefficient or impractical but there for completeness and whatnot.

I have this book, "Chord Chemistry". It's great for introducing a practical approach to extended harmony, but it is indeed chock full of completely useless chord voicings.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Danny Boy is totally in there. He just plays an elaborate intro and reharms the living crap of it

So he harmed the melody and then he harmed it again? Why is he so harmful?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Captaincranky
At 0:51, to be precise.
Quote by Captaincranky

Not lack of sophistication. Just lack of patience, maybe. (I assume you can recognise it after 0:51.)

Obviously, before 0:51 he's just showing off.
Quote by theogonia777
He used too many sharp notes?
Last edited by jongtr at Apr 12, 2016,
Quote by jongtr
At 0:51, to be precise.
Not lack of sophistication. Just lack of patience, maybe. (I assume you can recognise it after 0:51.)

Obviously, before 0:51 he's just showing off.

Showing off on a song that you play at funerals.
Quote by fingrpikingood

I completely agree!
I know Greene is supposed to be the great chord pooh-bah, but I looked through a few of his arrangements and simply could not finger about half of them.....
Then I listened to recordings of these arrangements and didn't particularly care for them either.....

All a matter of taste, I suppose. I'm too old to spend weeks trying to force my fingers into wierd shapes....I have a standard repertoire of the usual major and minor 7ths and extensions and alterations.....I can do shapes with the roots on all three bass strings.. Sufficient for my needs.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by jongtr
He used too many sharp notes?

Ok, that's it, both of you get out.
Quote by fingrpikingood
Ok, that's it, both of you get out.

So you support the harming of innocent melodies then.
Relax kidz, no traditional songs were permanently harmed during the making of this thread....

(This of course being based on the concept that if you can't recognize what's being played as the melody, you can't hurt the original).

You could have told me he was playing "The Star Spangled Banner", and I suppose I would have heard bits and pieces of that in there as well...

(This of course being based on the principles set forth by "Scottie" of "Star Trek", when he said, "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, sign me up at UG").
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 12, 2016,
Quote by Captaincranky
(This of course being based on the principles set forth by "Scottie" of "Star Trek", when he said, "fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, sign me up at UG").

That's grade A sig material right there.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Bikewer
I know Greene is supposed to be the great chord pooh-bah, but I looked through a few of his arrangements and simply could not finger about half of them.....
Then I listened to recordings of these arrangements and didn't particularly care for them either.....

All a matter of taste, I suppose. I'm too old to spend weeks trying to force my fingers into wierd shapes....I have a standard repertoire of the usual major and minor 7ths and extensions and alterations.....I can do shapes with the roots on all three bass strings.. Sufficient for my needs.

I remember the first time I tried to play some of Ted's arrangements and thought "this is impossible". I stuck with it though - and yes it took a long time, but it can be done. And now the shapes don't seem that weird or hard. I think the beauty of Ted's voicings come into play with solo chord melodies. For most comping they are overkill.