I finally get to buy a new guitar, and I'm having trouble with narrowing down the options. Can't cost any more than 1k U.S.
I really want a maple fretboard as i find them pleasing to the eye, and i have the least of them.

I'm not really particular about brand, and would like it to be a fairly versatile instrument.

I've looked into an SL2 soloist, and a few ltds but I've not came across anything i either don't already have or it just isn't appealing.

Pickup configuration isn't of major importance as long as there is a dual coil at the bridge. (I've got plenty of SSS and HH guitars)

I do not like super slim necks, i have fairly large hands and prefer some heft to the neck.

Body shape is of little importance.

Finish isn't really any concern either.

Basically i want versatility/playability with a maple fretboard and that's about it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Charvel San Dimas or a Jackson Adrian Smith.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Charvel San Dimas or a Jackson Adrian Smith.

I've looked into a few Charvel super strats both a So cal and a San dimas.

I'm kinda digging a Rhoads V only because I've never owned a V. Bad part is there extremely uncomfortable to play while seated.
^given a few some thought... I'm just not a huge fan of the super slim U profile necks.
yeah its all about personal preference, how would you rate your SSS strats? Been eyeing up some for a while...
Gear:

-Epiphone Plus Top Pro Les Paul
-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Quote by jhelkaa
yeah its all about personal preference, how would you rate your SSS strats? Been eyeing up some for a while...

One of them i hand biult, and its a joy to play.

It really depends on what and how you play...

A single coil strat is NOT for everyone and most people who have them either love them or love to hate them.

I've always thought of strats as a "tool box" guitar. Play it a while then throw it in the "tool box" amd so what if it gets dinged up. They are a workhorse.

But in my experience they are extremely hit or miss as far as playability/biuld quality...

I can honestly say that all in all Leo got it right.
Used peavey USA wolfgang.

Used ibanez prestige.

Used ESP (not ltd) used in the shape of your choice.

used PRS CE.

There are sooooo many. Lol.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Okay Thanks a lot, I've been deciding between a Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Or A Fender Strat. It seems like you're a pretty experienced guitarist so maybe going with a guitar thats a bit more out there, like one of those 12 string double necks.
Gear:

-Epiphone Plus Top Pro Les Paul
-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Used peavey USA wolfgang.

Used ibanez prestige.

Used ESP (not ltd) used in the shape of your choice.

used PRS CE.

There are sooooo many. Lol.

I actually came close to pulling the trigger on a Wolfgang.

And real ESPs are hard to come by.

I'm really wanting to stick to new (only because i have never ever bought new!)

Iv owned probably 80 guitars over the last 20yrs and I have never once bought one new.
Quote by jhelkaa
Okay Thanks a lot, I've been deciding between a Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Or A Fender Strat. It seems like you're a pretty experienced guitarist so maybe going with a guitar thats a bit more out there, like one of those 12 string double necks.

I've actually owned an SG double neck (way heavy and akward)

And in my opinion before you buy a low end Gibson buy a high end Epiphone you would be suprised how great some of them are.

In fact my guitar that i play THE MOST is a Epiphone Dot studio and i absolutely love it.
Quote by Dick Savage
I actually came close to pulling the trigger on a Wolfgang.

And real ESPs are hard to come by.

I'm really wanting to stick to new (only because i have never ever bought new!)

Iv owned probably 80 guitars over the last 20yrs and I have never once bought one new.

I have gone through over 60 and maybe five were new. They were lower end and I was inexperienced.

If you want new, i will probably not much help to you .

Good luck!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by GTRFreak1996
Try a telecaster with the Bucker in the bridge

That is a very tempting option i have never actually owned a tele I've borrowed/played several but never owned one.

And i have never played one with the bucker at the bridge. May have to give it a shot.
How about this LTD?

Strat shape, Floyd, Maple Board, EMG 85 and 2x SA in a HSS setup.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/16248-sn-1000fr-fm-maple-aqm?category_id=1967930-sn-series-guitars

Meets everything but the Thin U neck.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee
How about this LTD?

Strat shape, Floyd, Maple Board, EMG 85 and 2x SA in a HSS setup.

http://www.espguitars.com/products/16248-sn-1000fr-fm-maple-aqm?category_id=1967930-sn-series-guitars

Meets everything but the Thin U neck.

That looks like a seriously bad bitch (me likey)

I am totally gonna have to hold one of those in the near future! I hope (cringe) GC can order one for me to try and possibly buy.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 11, 2016,
Those reverends look sweet, I've honestly never looked at any of those and i have to say i like the shapes they are original and pretty sexy looking. And the access to the higher frets looks phenomenal. Not to mention it's got a P90 which i love!!
They're a small but growing brand. The necks are fairly uniform across models, too, so if you find one to try, even if it isn't one you're looking for, you'll have a good idea of what to expect.*

I have to say that most of the guitars I own with P90s are Reverends, and I think theirs are among the best P90s I've played through. Only one I got from The Creamery has bested them so far.

* I've got 5, made over 8 years of production.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Another good and affordable option with the HB/P90 mix would be the G&L Fallout. The USAs are made here; the Tribute line is is made in Indonesia with many of the same parts as the USA models. Tributes are G&L's analogs to MiM Fenders or certain Epiphones.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Musical-Instruments-Gear-/619/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=g+l+fallout&_sop=15

And Carvin/Kiesel makes affordable, customizable guitars in the USA. Here's a couple already made and in stock, just to illustrate that they can be had in your price range.
http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/132468
http://www.kieselguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/134038

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 12, 2016,
Thanks for all the help man. When it comes to buying guitars I'm normally very indecisive.

When i make a purchase I'll try my best to upload some pics. Not sure how to do that with my phone but I'll figure something out.
Quote by Dick Savage
I'm kinda digging a Rhoads V only because I've never owned a V. Bad part is there extremely uncomfortable to play while seated.

I am a huge fan of V shaped guitars and have both a King V and a Rhoads, plus a few other variations on the V shape, FWIW if you sit with your right leg tucked into the V they are not at all uncomfortable, at least not for me, there a some others who agree.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 12, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
I am a huge fan of V shaped guitars and have both a King V and a Rhoads, plus a few other variations on the V shape, FWIW if you sit with your right leg tucked into the V they are not at all uncomfortable, at least not for me, there a some others who agree.

I've played many of them, a friend used to had an old JB player white with balck polka dot in the rhoads shape, and i liked it.

I'm just not sure i would like playing it seated for extended periods. But yeah tucking it to the inside of the thigh is mandatory when playing one seated.
I wrote a blog post while back about choosing a guitar. At least, it was about why I chose to play a Strat to play Metal.

I'm not necessarily suggesting the Strat for you, but the blog here may have some useful insights.

Good luck!