If I were to go the POD/powered speaker route, how much would I need to plan on spending to get a decent powered speaker that would make good use of the POD amp simulations? The line 6 l2t looks great but man is it pricy.
Bedroom or live gigs?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Bedroom or live gigs?

Something that could do smaller size room gigs as well as home/garage use.
Quote by columbiar
Something that could do smaller size room gigs as well as home/garage use.

EV ZLX-12P. $399. The Carvins are also pretty good I just use and prefer the EV.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Apr 12, 2016,
Any active PA wedge, like the ones mentioned above. Pick whatever's good value in the country you live in and suits your budget. I've used lowly store-brand ones (Harley Benton in my case) and found nothing to complain about.

I prefer 12" models, as I find they are typically loud enough for small gigs without a PA and make great monitors when you do use a PA. 15" ones are imo too cumbersome and don't offer any real benefits for most guitarists over a 12" imo, but will sound fine, too. If you need the extra lows, they might be worth it.
10" ones are typically too small to put one foot on and do rockstar-poses. Instant disqualification there, though they'll probably sound nice enough.
Also speaker size is just one of many many factors.

Final piece of advice: If you want to know how loud an active cab is, look at the dB SPL level, not the wattage.
Any opinions on the Harbinger Vari V2112 600 W 12" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker on sale for $169?
Quote by columbiar
Any opinions on the Harbinger Vari V2112 600 W 12" Two-Way Powered Loudspeaker on sale for $169?

That is a VERY cheap (as opposed to "inexpensive") speaker.
I'd suggest bumping your budget a bit.
Quote by dspellman
That is a VERY cheap (as opposed to "inexpensive") speaker.
I'd suggest bumping your budget a bit.

Thank you. Big difference between cheap and inexpensive. Definitely like inexpensive but cheap is never a good way to go.
I use a set of BX5A Studio monitors for my POD HD Pro X. Its worked out very well for me so far.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
look for a used Atomic powered cab, all tube and made to go with MFX like the POD
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate