Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy a good, cheap multi-fx pedal, and wanted some of your opinions, suggestions, etc.

The tributes are:

Mooer GE100
Link to Specs(Mooer Website)

ZoomG3X
Link to G3X Amazon

Zoom G1Xon
Link to g1xon Amazon

Hotone Ravo
Link to Ravo specs(Hotone
site)

---End List---

Please feel free and do suggest other MultiFx pedals not mentioned that I might have looked over or not known about etc.

Honest opinions are much appreciated

Thanks

-Eragon
What is your maximum budget?

Vox tone labs may be worth looking into.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
And do you want amp simulations?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
zoom g3x for me. while i have a mooer ultra drive which didnt have any problems you go with the more trusted name. same against hotone
The G3x for me too. Excellent pedal, easy to use with some great effects.

Surprised not to see Line 6 get a mention though - they're on a par with the Zoom for quality and popular enough to get recommended so often that POD has almost become a generic term for multi effects.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Max budget, if possible under $200, so max is like 160-170 maybe?

I want to hit that one pedal where it intercepts on the price-quality scale, where its for a decent price, its a pretty decent pedal as well, and a good value.
Quote by adetheheat
what about a Boss ME 80 - it has amp models as well

Of course, and eventually, that's the dream , but right now I'm afraid its a little out of my price range Thanks anyways though, on a side note, are the smaller versions like the me 25 any good?
Quote by eragon1452
Of course, and eventually, that's the dream , but right now I'm afraid its a little out of my price range Thanks anyways though, on a side note, are the smaller versions like the me 25 any good?

The smaller versions have less of everything but it does have the same chip and software as the comparable GT mfx
If you want amp modeling, I'd say the G3, if not, look for an old Boss ME50. You can score older ME50s for around $100 or less. The G3 has the looper though. Imo the Digitech RP series isn't on the same level as even the Zoom, definitely not on the level of Boss or Line 6.

There's also the Line 6 M-Series. (If you strictly want effects).
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I just started using a Digitech RP500 and love it. Easy to program and excellent sound with low impedance outputs so no need for any direct box to get to a mixer. It replaces my Boss ME-50 which was very nice but this is better (at least for me).
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
IMO....save your money and get something a little better but to be fair +1 to the older boss me50 mentioned above would fit the bill...

if you bump up over 200 bucks these can be some options
line 6 m9/13 can be had for cheap used given that you don't want amp sims
line 6 hd300 can also be found on the cheap
boss gt10 can be found at the mid 200 range

good luck and happy hunting
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by lucky1978
If you want amp modeling, I'd say the G3, if not, look for an old Boss ME50. You can score older ME50s for around $100 or less. The G3 has the looper though. Imo the Digitech RP series isn't on the same level as even the Zoom, definitely not on the level of Boss or Line 6.

So Boss over digitech, and G3 over boss is what you're saying?
Quote by eragon1452
So Boss over digitech, and G3 over boss is what you're saying?

If you don't need amp sims, I've owned both for years (also an RP355 and ME70 for a bit and I currently sport an M9 on my board), they're both extremely easy to use and imo you can't go wrong with either but I'd say the ME50 sounds better and will probably outlive (all of us) the Zoom (though I've had no issue with my G3). I definitely prefer the ME50 for live sound. But the G3 has the looper and drum beats and usb and makes an awesome practice tool and headphones amp.

Imo the RP is a walmart quality toy. I paid $40 for the RP355 and regretted it. The sound q is comparable to the Zoom but its a bit annoying to operate and it feels like a toy.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 12, 2016,
Quote by lucky1978
If you don't need amp sims, I've owned both for years (also an RP355 and ME70 for a bit and I currently sport an M9 on my board), they're both extremely easy to use and imo you can't go wrong with either but I'd say the ME50 sounds better and will probably outlive (all of us) the Zoom (though I've had no issue with my G3). I definitely prefer the ME50 for live sound. But the G3 has the looper and drum beats and usb and makes an awesome practice tool and headphones amp.

Imo the RP is a walmart quality toy. I paid $40 for the RP355 and regretted it. The sound q is comparable to the Zoom but its a bit annoying to operate and it feels like a toy.

Thanks that was a really good summary, makes stuff a lot clearer
Quote by lucky1978

I was just wondering where i could get it for <$100
Craigslist, Reverb, Guitar Center's used inventory online, ebay, etc.
Quote by trashedlostfdup

Hey, was looking into tone labs recently, you think they outclass, or on par with the above? Better tones? And also, can they play more than one effect at a time(e.x. OD and Delay at the same time)
Quote by lucky1978

How is the Vox Tonelab ST compared to all these?
Quote by eragon1452
Hey, was looking into tone labs recently, you think they outclass, or on par with the above? Better tones? And also, can they play more than one effect at a time(e.x. OD and Delay at the same time)

I am not the person to be asking about mfx processors. Haha. I have owned four throughout the last decade.

The first i ever had was a korg ax1500g (iirc), it was cool for a while, it didn't get used much, so i sold it. Then i won a zoom one in a guitar contest. Took it out a couple times and sold it. Yhen i got a pod xd live, which was the best so far I thought it was pretty nice. I had a HD500 for a week. I didn't use it much so i sent it back.

I had a tonelab in my studio for a few weeks because a friend kept it there. I liked it a lot but i don't remember what model. This was several years ago but I thought it was very cool. I would take one over a pod xt. Check out the youtube videos.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by diabolical
The Tonelab is good but you have to use it as a modeler, I think it doesn't do too well as a pedal box. It is a great pedal but the ME50/GT series is better if you are looking to have more sound effects at your feet.

So, to plug into an amp, boss is better?

Also, how is the zoom g3 compared to the tonelab(Pro's Con's and stuff?)

As you can see not much to pick from effects there, each rotary knob picks one effect, so it is pretty much as a front end to power amp or recording solution. Decent piece of gear, I actually like it a lot over some of the other multifx.

I am not fond of Zoom, and honestly as bang for the buck I think Boss is probably the best if you just want to use multifx. I'd go for used GT-10 or GT-100, you can use them as single pedals and do 4 cable mode to wrap around the front and fx loop of your amp, also depending on some amps they can do the switching for you as well.

Tonelab is very organic sounding while Zoom is more towards the grainier more "cheaper" sounding if you will. I can't say I am fond of them and on occasion I've had to get customer support and they've been non-existent...not that Boss or Vox are peaches but in comparison you eventually get an answer
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 19, 2016,
Quote by diabolical

As you can see not much to pick from effects there, each rotary knob picks one effect, so it is pretty much as a front end to power amp or recording solution. Decent piece of gear, I actually like it a lot over some of the other multifx.

I am not fond of Zoom, and honestly as bang for the buck I think Boss is probably the best if you just want to use multifx. I'd go for used GT-10 or GT-100, you can use them as single pedals and do 4 cable mode to wrap around the front and fx loop of your amp, also depending on some amps they can do the switching for you as well.

Tonelab is very organic sounding while Zoom is more towards the grainier more "cheaper" sounding if you will. I can't say I am fond of them and on occasion I've had to get customer support and they've been non-existent...not that Boss or Vox are peaches but in comparison you eventually get an answer

Are you familiar with the G3/5? I agree with you for the most part but the G3 is definitely a few steps above Zoom's previous offerings as far as sound quality. I wouldn't put it up there with the latest from Line 6 but its useable. And for all it's functions its actually a great piece of kit.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Apr 19, 2016,
I'd have to say that I go with what I've heard about the G3/5 locally and a few guys that sent me files to mix recorded with it and am not impressed, it has a bit of a grating quality IMO. Not as bad as previous Zoom units but can't say I am a fan.
Quote by lucky1978
Are you familiar with the G3/5? I agree with you for the most part but the G3 is definitely a few steps above Zoom's previous offerings as far as sound quality. I wouldn't put it up there with the latest from Line 6 but its useable. And for all it's functions its actually a great piece of kit.

Personally I'd rate the G3 as fairly equal with Line 6, but I guess a lot depends on how you use it. For me, it only gets used in two situations:
- standalone unit for headphone practice using drives & amp sims etc
- in my amp's effects loop, strictly for modulation & delay only

It's an excellent pedal in both those situations. Zoom definitely stepped up their game a lot with the G3/5 etc. and for my requirements in these scenarios IMO the G3 is a better tool than Line 6's products.

However, I've also tried using it as follows:
- in built drive & distortion before my amp
- standalone drive pedals into amp sims for headphone practice

Using the Zoom drive & distortion before my amp wasn't bad, but it was somewhat underwhelming & not nearly as good as using standalone pedals. Standalone drive pedals into the Zoom's amp sims was terrible. I've never tried Line 6 in either of these situations so can't comment on how they compare for this one.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by eragon1452
I was just wondering where i could get it for <$100
If you were asking about the RP500 because you can get it for $100, then I say go for it. It's a solid unit.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I am not the person to be asking about mfx processors. Haha. I have owned four throughout the last decade.

The first i ever had was a korg ax1500g (iirc), it was cool for a while, it didn't get used much, so i sold it. Then i won a zoom one in a guitar contest. Took it out a couple times and sold it. Yhen i got a pod xd live, which was the best so far I thought it was pretty nice. I had a HD500 for a week. I didn't use it much so i sent it back.

I had a tonelab in my studio for a few weeks because a friend kept it there. I liked it a lot but i don't remember what model. This was several years ago but I thought it was very cool. I would take one over a pod xt. Check out the youtube videos.

Is it a studio tool or good through an amp as well?
i can confirm the zoom G3X is a great unit, you wont be disappointed with that one, how ever you can get a used zoom G5 for the same amount. and its way better.
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Well, pretty much all of these have amp simulations so they can be seen as studio units. I know some people record with these modelers direct or run them into fx return on an amp and record the speakers, with the modelers acting as preamps.
Quote by eragon1452
Is it a studio tool or good through an amp as well?

I didn't use it for recording,but it would be OK i guess. I was using it in front of a clean amp. I remember thinking it sounded good.

For your budget i would probably go with an pod xt live or x3 live.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I didn't use it for recording,but it would be OK i guess. I was using it in front of a clean amp. I remember thinking it sounded good.

For your budget i would probably go with an pod xt live or x3 live.

Hey, sorry for the complete detour, but I may have narrowed it down to 2 pedals: Zoom g3, and boss me-50. What would you say?
Quote by Rocketface2112
i can confirm the zoom G3X is a great unit, you wont be disappointed with that one, how ever you can get a used zoom G5 for the same amount. and its way better.

is it better than the boss me-50 by chance?
Quote by eragon1452
is it better than the boss me-50 by chance?

The ME-50 is great for modulations & delays, but when I had one I wasn't a fan of it's OD & distortion effects. That's subjective though, you may like them - and used in front of an amp it's drives probably work better than the Zoom.

The biggest problem with the ME-50 is if you use it's patch function. There's a very noticeable pause when switching from one patch to another, which makes it fairly useless in that mode. It's great when used for individual effects, although it has the disadvantage that you can't easily switch from chorus to phase, or from one OD to another etc. The Zoom performs very well for all those situations.

You also have to consider that the ME-50 doesn't have amp sims which the Zoom has, so isn't very good for headphone practice. You'll also be missing out on the Zoom's looper which is a great practice tool.

The ME-50 is a good pedal and well worth considering, but taking everything into consideration I personally would still recommend the Zoom before it.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
The ME-50 is great for modulations & delays, but when I had one I wasn't a fan of it's OD & distortion effects. That's subjective though, you may like them - and used in front of an amp it's drives probably work better than the Zoom.

The biggest problem with the ME-50 is if you use it's patch function. There's a very noticeable pause when switching from one patch to another, which makes it fairly useless in that mode. It's great when used for individual effects, although it has the disadvantage that you can't easily switch from chorus to phase, or from one OD to another etc. The Zoom performs very well for all those situations.

You also have to consider that the ME-50 doesn't have amp sims which the Zoom has, so isn't very good for headphone practice. You'll also be missing out on the Zoom's looper which is a great practice tool.

The ME-50 is a good pedal and well worth considering, but taking everything into consideration I personally would still recommend the Zoom before it.

Lol I was set on Boss, but this is changing my mind!
So Zoom is better with OD and dist too?(compared to me-50)
There's a short signal cutoff when changing patches which I think most of the boards at the time had it (heard it with Digitech, Korg, etc.). It is a little nuisance but no show stopper IMO. Not sure how the Zoom handles switching. The ME-50 distortions are OK, pretty much what the Boss pedals sound like.
Page 1 of 2