Hey guys,

I'm planning on buying a fender standard stratocaster with a HH pickup configuration. Now the first thing that pops into my head is changing the pickups. This ofcourse leads to the question to what pickups...

I really like heavy blues and metal, but I also want that single coil strat clean sound, the jimmi hendrix sound. Those are pretty much my requirements.

Please help me out!

Thanks
Well, if you want metal and Jimi in one axe, the best recipe you're going to find is going to be a HSS, P90/SS or HB/P90 guitar. Depending on your flavor of metal, a bridge HB or P90 will be good for a lot of stuff. Meanwhile, the singlecoils or properly dialed in P90s get you your other tones.

MiniHBs can also do twang, but most don't do metal as well as HBs or P90s...and they're a funny size.

IMHO, you can get decent singlecoil sounds out of split HBs, but it requires very good HBs as the tonal base, and you might want some kind of switch to add some out of phase tones.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 12, 2016,
Why not see what the pickups do on your rig before you decide to change them sight unheard? I'm not telling you not to do it, but get the guitar home and play it first. That's all.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Apr 12, 2016,
Buy the HSS Strat instead. It covers more of the ground you want with no PU swap needed.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
^ yeah that's what i was thinking. if you know you want strat tones as well you normally want HSS or HSH.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?