Seen loads of these for always under £200.

Nice looking series 2 on ebay for £150.

Love the styling of these guitars, are they anygood for 80's metal?
Last edited by gravyYelp at Apr 12, 2016,
Westone guitars from the 80s were decent affordable guitars, MIJ by Matsumoku in the early 80's they were budget entry level guitars later production models in the late mid to late 80's had started to offer better pickup and electronics configurations, custom switching etc. those that were made in Korea after that had become more budget entry level again losing the custom stuff.

I had several friends that owned them, some that I played were nice and some were nothing to write home about, some are collectable and for 150-200 if you can find one of them with the custom switching options and better pickups/paint etc. in decent shape you may be alright, a more basic model would warrant being in damn good shape or it wouldn't be worth it, and I'd be leary about buying one if you can't get your hands on it first.

That said you may want to consider saving up a bit more money and try to find a MIJ Charvel/Jackson, they are much higher quality and at least here in the U.S. can be found in the $200-$400 range.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 12, 2016,
I have a '82 (Matsumoku) Westone 335 knockoff, and I think is might be better built than a Gibson from the same period. I did, however, replace the pickups. Those old Westones don't go for big $, and seem like outstanding value if their quality is comparable to mine.

There is a website dedicated to Matsumoku guitars.
Thanks for the replies.

Happy to spend a bit more cash, I remember from the 80's early 90's loads of superstrats with splatter paint jobs, as if you literally threw paint at it. They looked awesome, havent seen many about at all now though. I would love one of those.

Saw a nice charvel 1986 model 4, anything like that, the more 80s the better.

Can anyone recommend anything?
Last edited by gravyYelp at Apr 14, 2016,
Not sure where you are located but used 80's Super Strats are not hard to find here in the U.S. nor are they expensive if you go with an import.

I bought this 1987 Kramer for $300 it was actually made in Japan by ESP and has the factory Original Floyd, and this MIJ 1989 Charvel Fusion Custom for $350, it is totally stock and in near mint condition with a German made Schaller Floyd.

Both are far superior to any of the Westones I played back in the 80's

The Kramer was a pawn shop find the Charvel came from Guitar Center.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Apr 14, 2016,
That silver Fusion Custom Looks nice they are great playing instruments, but at least here in the States $568 is pretty steep they listed for $749 new and were made only in 89-90-91.

Of course I have no idea what the used market is like in the UK and for $349 mine didn't have a case.

Myself I prefer to play before I buy and have been lucky to get all 14 of my guitars that way, I am aware that the internet is the best option for many depending on the local marketplace.

I like they cool 80s paint jobs crakle, splatter etc. but they are much harder than find.

Good luck in your endeavor and if you score a cool 80s paint job be sure to post a new guitar day with some pics and review so we can all enjoy it!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge