I'm looking at upgrading from my Peavey Vypyr 30 to something higher end around the $1500 range, such as a 2nd hand JCM800/Peavey 5150. One concern I have is that high quality tube amps around this price range are generally 100 or 120W and considering I rarely take my current 30W solid state over 3-4 I fear that these tube amps may simply just not be ideal for home use.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I look for something different for home use?
How quiet do you need to be? If you can get away with a Vypyr 30 with volume at 3 or 4 (that was actually pretty loud with my Vypyr 30, if memory serves), I think you won't have any trouble with a 100 watt tube amp.

That said, JCM 800s are not known to be "quiet" amps; and I don't want to give you the impression that "tube amps must be cranked" to get their best tone -- but JCM 800s are famous for needing a bit more volume to start sounding their best.

With a 6505, that is not the case. I own one, though mine is a head made from a 6505+ 112, so it's 60 watts. Not a big difference from the 100 watt version. It can get crushingly loud if I crank it. But, with the right EQing and a boost pedal, it sounds damn nice at low volumes as well. Quite a bit better than my Vypyr 30 all the way down to TV volumes, in fact. The only thing the Vypyr had on it was a headphone jack for ultra silent playing (however, I found that all headphones sounded like shit through it -- nothing like the tone I got out of the speakers).

If you could tell us what genres/bands you'd like to sound like, we could help you make a more informed decision. Just know that a lot of high-gain amps these days get their tone from preamp distortion, which does not need to be cranked to sound good.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Check out this thread - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1571081

5150s and the variants (6505+, 5150 II) typically sound good at low volumes.

For the JCM800 if that doesn't have a master volume it may not work for home use.

I'd be looking into Mesa with that budget. I picked up my Dual Rec Roadster for $1100.

What tones are you going after?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by KailM
If you could tell us what genres/bands you'd like to sound like, we could help you make a more informed decision. Just know that a lot of high-gain amps these days get their tone from preamp distortion, which does not need to be cranked to sound good.

Mainly metal such as Nightwish, Of Mice & Men, Atreyu, Tool. Sometimes enjoy a bit of Blink 182, Weezer, or other slightly softer stuff, but primarily play and listen to Metal.

Quote by metalmingee
I'd be looking into Mesa with that budget. I picked up my Dual Rec Roadster for $1100.

I'll look into that thanks. Unfortunately where I live there isn't wide range of stuff available so I think it'll come down to getting something that is adequate rather than hand picking the perfect amp.

What do you think of the Bugera 6262 212 Combo?
Last edited by gl0rp at Apr 12, 2016,
Quote by gl0rp

What do you think of the Bugera 6262 212 Combo?

Basically a clone of the Peavey 6505+

I've got one, and it's a pretty decent piece of gear, with a passable clean channel (even better with a low gain tube in v1), great crunch and more gain on the lead channel than you'll ever use.

Near-perfect for what you want to play.

And it will work fine in a bedroom setting.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
With cutting your budget that much I'd look into a used Peavey JSX 212 Combo. Way more flexibility than a 6505+ variant but not quite as aggressive on the Lead channel.

Where are you located?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
My experience with the JCM800 is that it sounds amazing dimed. Any less and it loses the mojo quickly, not a great BR amp.

So you lean metal but haven't said your nearest city so we have no idea what might be available near you. Mesa, Jet City, Laney, Orange, all do great hi gain at low volumes and might suit your needs better than the 80s Marshall.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy

So you lean metal but haven't said your nearest city so we have no idea what might be available near you

Perth, Western Australia
Quote by gl0rp
Perth, Western Australia

So basically you've got a choice between overpriced, severely overpriced and ridiculously overpriced?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
So basically you've got a choice between overpriced, severely overpriced and ridiculously overpriced?

Pretty much Just gotta sit around and wait and hope something decent comes up cheap in local classifieds. Probably gotta wait until July when people start getting tax returns and buy new gear to find stuff
Quote by gl0rp
Pretty much Just gotta sit around and wait and hope something decent comes up cheap in local classifieds. Probably gotta wait until July when people start getting tax returns and buy new gear to find stuff

What's the ask on the Bugera?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
What's the ask on the Bugera?

$400. Seems to be an amazing deal but the ad is 8 days old so at that price it may be gone already.
Quote by gl0rp
$400. Seems to be an amazing deal but the ad is 8 days old so at that price it may be gone already.

For where you are, what it is and what you need that's a great price.
Charles Darwin