Hello all. So im in the process of getting a custom guitar from a local luthier and he was suggesting of getting a 26.22" scale for C# standard tuning in order to get more clarity and definition out of big chords, speed runs, etc? is this a good idea? Should a standard 25.5" scale be opted for instead? Here are the rest of the specs:

- carved heel bolt on
- Ebony board
- Hipshot Bridge
- Bare Knuckle Aftermath pickup
- stainless steel frets
- swamp ash top, mahogany bottom body
- hard rock maple neck
- hipshot locking tuners

I would be playing many forms of metal with this guitar but specifically death metal (Gorguts, Opeth, etc.) stuff that requires a lot of details and where definition is important.
Last edited by nnucciarone at Apr 12, 2016,
That's ideal, of course, since it's 666mm, perfect for death metal!!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
That's ideal, of course, since it's 666mm, perfect for death metal!!

Looks like you found the pattern!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Tony Done
Dunno, you're only talking 0.7" more than a standard scale, which in terms of pitch at a given tension is less than 1/4 tone, or a small fraction of the pitch difference you are looking for compared to E standard. I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.

Agreed. I think it's cute about the 666mm, but usually the first increment after 25.5" is 27", then 28.65", then 30" (all of which are available via non-custom guitars from builders like Agile). You're not really doing much that's significant with the scale.

Otherwise, that looks like a pretty standard configuration; what's "custom" about it?
Jackson offers a bunch of guitars with 26.5" scale now, so no need to jump straight to 27"
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.