Page 1 of 2
I am in the market to replace my Epiphone Plus Top Pro Les Paul. I was very interested in getting a Gibson Studio Pro Les Paul, but I was told that some of the more expensive Epiphones a great instruments for their price. So my question is do i go for a Cheaper Gibson or a More Expensive Epiphone.

Thanks!
Gear:

-Epiphone Plus Top Pro Les Paul
-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
I think that for the same price, the Epiphone is a better guitar than the Gibson.

Gibson *really* doesn't compete well under $1000. They really come into their own when you start hitting $3K and above. When you get into the $1000 - $2500 price range, I think there are better guitars out there than Gibson, but at least you're getting close to Gibson's sweet spot.
Epiphone.

The 60's tributes are excellent guitars for the price. What Gibson offers in that same price range? Not so much.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The 60s tributes are truly great. You may need to get it set up but you would for a Gibson too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks, Ill take a look at some.
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Can anyone give me link to one having a hard time finding them, Thanks!
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
I think i told you this in another thread already. I personally would take a high end Epiphone over a low end Gibson any day of the week!
Wanted to get some more opinions about it.
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Yeah the high end Epi will destroy any low end Gibson. The cheap Gibson models are just that but with the brand name on. They're not bad guitars by any means, it's just that for equivalent money there's definitely much better brands to go with in regards to getting the return for the cash spent.

That said, if you're going in person, you could buy a low end Gibson and then later upgrade the pick-ups to something that a high-end Gibson would have. So that's an option if you want the 'real deal', there is something special about having a real Les Paul...
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
I have an Epiphone Thunderhorse and soon an Epiphone Brent Hinds Flying V. I've had nothing but positive experiences with Epiphone guitars. Compare one of those to an SGJ or a lower end Gibson and the Epi will win every time. Especially if you take the time to get it set-up properly. Frets and all.
If you don't have to have "Gibson" or "Epiphone" on the headstock, there re all kinds of sweet LP-style guitars out there, at all kinds of price points.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Look at some used '90's gibson studios.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
With the lower end Gibson you literally are paying for a Gibson headstock and not even a good one.Just some painted on gold writing.I had an LPJ and i did'nt like it.The finish was awful,It had stupid pickup covers on,The unbound neck made it not feel like a Gibson and the fret ends were a little rough.I'd go Epi out of the two.The Epi will sound just as good but feel ten times better.Or if you want a Gibson then as above look at an old Studio or as also said above how about a different brand?Maybe Tokai or something?
Quote by jhelkaa
Wanted to get some more opinions about it.

This is a common affliction of the current generation.

Here's what Warren Buffet has to say about it: "You need to divorce your mind from the crowd. The herd mentality causes all these IQ's to become paralyzed." He's talking about making decisions regarding investment, but he's said before that seeking consensus on what you do assures that whatever you do will be average and mediocre.
Quote by jhelkaa
Lets say I got something like this: http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Studio.aspx#LPSTUEBGH1 How much would i pay on top of the guitar for some better humbuckers (or P90s)and what not?

Why would you need "better humbuckers?"

I can see it now.

"Here's an original 1959 Burst. It's in perfect condition, found wrapped in a quilt under Elvis Presley's bed in Graceland."

"How much would it cost me to replace the stock pickups with better ones?"

"Why would you DO that?"

"I hear on the internet that they're not matched for volume."
"I heard on the internet that they're likely to have demagnetized over the years."
"I heard on the internet that I should get a new wiring harness with '50's wiring."
"I heard on the internet that I should replace the frets with jumbos."
"I heard on the internet that I should probably replace the tuners. Those look cheap."
"It feels heavy."
"What would you think about sanding down the neck to bare wood?"
"I heard on the internet that I should replace the strap buttons with locking ones and that I should use a toothpick dipped in epoxy in the old holes."
"I heard on the internet that these pickups don't coil split very well."
"Is there some way I can relic the guitar to make it look older?"
"Someone on the internet says this is a fake."
"What kind of stickers would look cool on that case?"
"Is this what they call a clown burst?"
" I heard on the internet that I should get an SKG case for it."
" I heard on the internet that I should replace this nut with bone for better tone."
"I heard on the internet that these pickups aren't good for death metal."
"I heard on the internet that I need thicker strings for better tone, but the strings I want to use won't fit through those cheap tuner holes."
"I heard on the internet that I can replace those cheap tuners with a G Force."
"If I want a Floyd on it, how much would it be to install it?"
Quote by dspellman
I think that for the same price, the Epiphone is a better guitar than the Gibson.

Gibson *really* doesn't compete well under $1000. They really come into their own when you start hitting $3K and above. When you get into the $1000 - $2500 price range, I think there are better guitars out there than Gibson, but at least you're getting close to Gibson's sweet spot.

I've never played a guitar that made me think "Wow, this really IS worth $3K!"
I've played guitars valued at that much (and a few at much more), but I could never really see how it was justified.

Since from your postings you're definitely not a headstock snob, what to you justifies a price tag like that?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'd say it depends.

In my experience, I would choose a high end Epiphone over something like a faded Gibson LP (I've never been a fan of the faded series stuff), but it can go either way once you get to LP Studio models. I've played a few that were just ok, and some others that totally rock. You can sometimes score good used deals on Gibson LP studios too.

On the other hand, I've played a few really nice Epiphone LP Customs. Definitely try out whatever you can! Agile or some Tokai's are also Epiphone alternatives to consider as well.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by dspellman
Why would you need "better humbuckers?"

I can see it now.

"Here's an original 1959 Burst. It's in perfect condition, found wrapped in a quilt under Elvis Presley's bed in Graceland."

"How much would it cost me to replace the stock pickups with better ones?"

"Why would you DO that?"

"I hear on the internet that they're not matched for volume."
"I heard on the internet that they're likely to have demagnetized over the years."
"I heard on the internet that I should get a new wiring harness with '50's wiring."
"I heard on the internet that I should replace the frets with jumbos."
"I heard on the internet that I should probably replace the tuners. Those look cheap."
"It feels heavy."
"What would you think about sanding down the neck to bare wood?"
"I heard on the internet that I should replace the strap buttons with locking ones and that I should use a toothpick dipped in epoxy in the old holes."
"I heard on the internet that these pickups don't coil split very well."
"Is there some way I can relic the guitar to make it look older?"
"Someone on the internet says this is a fake."
"What kind of stickers would look cool on that case?"
"Is this what they call a clown burst?"
" I heard on the internet that I should get an SKG case for it."
" I heard on the internet that I should replace this nut with bone for better tone."
"I heard on the internet that these pickups aren't good for death metal."
"I heard on the internet that I need thicker strings for better tone, but the strings I want to use won't fit through those cheap tuner holes."
"I heard on the internet that I can replace those cheap tuners with a G Force."
"If I want a Floyd on it, how much would it be to install it?"

But dspellman, I won't win rig of the year 2016 if I don't do each and every last one of these things. If I don't I'll look a philistine and uninitiated to the UG and Gear Page community and nobody will take anything I say seriously.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Arby911
I've played guitars valued at that much (and a few at much more), but I could never really see how it was justified.

Since from your postings you're definitely not a headstock snob, what to you justifies a price tag like that?

It's like a Ferrari. There's no real justification for owning a Ferrari.

It's more a question of availability of cash meeting want.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But dspellman, I won't win rig of the year 2016 if I don't do each and every last one of these things. If I don't I'll look a philistine and uninitiated to the UG and Gear Page community and nobody will take anything I say seriously.

Oh. Sorry. Well in THAT case...
Let me rephrase that, How much are the pickups that you would get on a high end Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul?
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Quote by jhelkaa
Let me rephrase that, How much are the pickups that you would get on a high end Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul?

If you buy new, about 300 for a set of burst bucker pros. If you go used much cheaper.
Quote by dspellman
Oh. Sorry. Well in THAT case...

Don't give me that.

I need you to praise my decision because muh feels.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The CS Les Paul pickups aren't particularly special. They're nice pickups, for sure, but if you're going aftermarket I think you'd be making a mistake choosing the Gibsons just for the name. Or at least I assume that's what you're doing, since you don't seem to have any other reason to choose them.

It's not uncommon for people with CS Gibsons to change the pickups. A set of Seth Lovers or DiMarzio 36th Anniversaries or Wolfetones or Bareknuckles or any number of a couple dozen other makes are probably going to give you a lot better (and certainly more diverse) options. If you're not sure if you want P90s or humbuckers you probably aren't ready to lock in a brand yet. Get the guitar first, then decide what you need to change about the sound. No sense 'upgrading' a theoretical instrument with pickups you've never heard.
Im actually leaning towards a Epiphone 60s tribute, they look like very fine guitars. I can't seem to find them on the epiphone website. Only A 56 Goldtop
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Last edited by jhelkaa at Apr 13, 2016,
Thank You!
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Viable alternatives:

Electra Omega & Omega Prime
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega-prime

Godin Icon 2 Convertible (so you don't have to choose between HBs and P90s...)
https://reverb.com/item/627177-godin-icon-type-2-convertible
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Viable alternatives:

Electra Omega & Omega Prime
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega
http://www.electraguitar.com/pages/electra-omega-prime

Godin Icon 2 Convertible (so you don't have to choose between HBs and P90s...)
https://reverb.com/item/627177-godin-icon-type-2-convertible

Those Guitars...

They Are Beautiful, I am heavily leaning towards one of those. Do you own one of these? Do they play as well as they look?

Thank You for the suggestion
Gear:

-Ibanez S Series
-Marshall Valvestate S80
Last edited by jhelkaa at Apr 13, 2016,
I don't have one of those Godins, but it was culled from my "Watched" list. G.A.S. is a bitch! My experience with Godins so FR is that they're quality axes- the one I DO own is definitely a keeper, and I'm planning on adding some others. Among their LP-styled guitars, there are some discontinued ones in the Core and LG lines with P90s that are pretty sweet. There's an Icon model with 3 Lollar P90s that is simply killer.
https://reverb.com/item/627197-godin-icon-type-3-sf

However, I dohave an Omega Prime- the maple topped version- and I seriously want a ceruse. Someone else on UG has the ceruse, and it is absolutely gorgeous.

Of the LP-style guitars I own, my Omega is my #2 favorite...and just barely. They feel great, are well made, and sound very good. I ordered mine direct, and was impressed by the customer service. I had mentioned to the salesperson that I was planning on playing in an alternative tuning, which would require an oddball set of strings.

Electra saved me the money and trouble of having it properly set up in that tuning by doing all of that themselves before shipping. It arrived in the tuning I requested, with the strings I asked for, with proper intonation.

Danny - what you need is a new amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Danny - what you need is a new amp.

Damn straight I do!

I'm saving up for one. So far, I've resisted Axe G.A.S. and Pedalphilia the past couple of months, so I'm doing OK...

Wow. dspellman gets my vote for "Post of Year" so far. Brilliant and so true.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
My thought on this is if you really want the headstock to say a particular brand, Gibson in this case, and you have the funds then buy it, or at least go to the dealer with cash in hand and play them all.

Maybe while trying them you'll discover that the reality doesn't live up to the dream in your head and you will be disappointed and keep looking.

Maybe while trying them you will find one that feels so natural you'll play it everyday until you die.

Maybe you'll have a honeymoon period and then decide it's not everything you hoped it would be and then send it down the road.

This is all so subjective to each individual. Rational thought is hard when emotions are involved.

If you never have the experience how can you be satisfied not fulfilling a dream/thought when you had the chance?

Experiences are more valuable than material things IMO, at least in this financial tier.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by jhelkaa

490 pups are used on high end gibsons as well. I have gibsons with P90s/490s/Bustbuckers/Classic 57s and none of them are worse than the other. Just different.
To my ears:
490s give chunky sound when overdriven - sounds great
P90s - more nasally single coil sounds - sounds great
Burstbuckers - more of agrowl to them - sound sgreat
Classic 57s - fatter rounder sound - sounds great
Quote by Arby911

You should get out more.

To the OP You already have a fairly close to top of the line Epiphone with your current model. Unless you find an Elitist no other Epi LP will be much better (Epi Tribute model is better but probably not that much better that I'd sell and take the small step up).
While you can get a good low end Gibson (Studio, 60s Trib etc) you'll probably have to search through several of the same model to find a real keeper and the JR's aren't a step up at all, they cost less new than an EPi and to be frank I find them to be "beaters" at well under $400 new. Are you stuck on the LP or just on a single cut?
For single cuts the choices are quite vast, for LP copies not quite as vast but still a few choices.
Moving on.....
Page 1 of 2