Page 1 of 4
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/12/stephen-fry-free-speech-child-abuse-bullying-safe-spaces?CMP=fb_gu

Free speech is under attack and here comes Stephen Fry to defend it. Bemoaning the “infantilising” culture of safe spaces and trigger warnings that has developed at universities in recent years, Fry launches into an extraordinary attack on victims of sexual abuse, saying: “It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place – you get some of my sympathy – but your self-pity gets none of my sympathy.” It was a sustained attack. “Self-pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity,” he said. “Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself. The irony is, we’ll feel sorry for you if you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Grow up.”

That such contempt for victims of child abuse should emerge from the lips of Fry, a man lauded for his great work highlighting mental health issues, is remarkable. That he should use his right to free speech and his platform to express himself in this way is reprehensible. It is also risible, for this is the same Fry who regularly flounces off Twitter because he doesn’t want to hear people criticising him over things he has said and done. Now he expects us to join him in condemning people who have been affected by events they could not possibly control.

Agree or disagree?
Yeah I like him
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I think he's in a relationship
He seems to fundamentally misunderstand mental health. This is something I learned in middle school, so that means I've been smarter than Stephen Fry for years!
If there is a God, it's me.
Quote by Hydra150
I think he's in a relationship

According to Google, he's married to someone 30 years younger than he is.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Dude niice
Quote by Hydra150
Dude niice

Con: he's already married
Pro: he's into young guys

You got this.
Free Ali
Free Lard
I like his acting and comedy. I don't know much about his opinions or really care.
Interesting given he was sexually abused when he was young
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I think essentially he's saying it doesn't matter what hard shit you've been through life. Stop dwelling on it and feeling sorry for yourself.

I'd have to agree.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I prefer Philip Fry.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
trigger warnings, safe spaces are ******ed. can you imagine the idiots who lap this up ever functioning in the workplace? i guess they wouldn't have been able to anyway, due to the useless courses they usually take, i guess this is just making double sure they never get a job. i wonder if these safe space nutbags, who will get shut out of incrementally more areas of adult society, will eventually form their own parallel society like the amish
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
"sustained attack"

lol fuck off
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Mixed feelings. He's said some amusing things before but his scientism is pathetic and edgy to boot, and he affects intelligence where great ability to recall information resides. He's also childishly elitist and very prescriptive with language, despite frequently contradicting this when discussing language. Not to say he isn't intelligent, but he's very pretentious.

Don't really care about the mental illness quote, but i'd like to see him try doing those things when he's in one of his depressive states.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I feel like this article paints the picture for why he said what he said a bit clearer.

Fry, who quit Twitter earlier this year after a backlash over a joke he made at the Baftas, was speaking to the US TV show The Rubin Report about campus free speech, safe spaces and trigger warnings on literature.

“In terms of how they think, they can’t bear complexity. The idea that things aren’t easy to understand,” said Fry, who has spoken openly in the past of his own mental illness. “They want to be told, or they want to be able to decide and say, ‘This is good and this is bad,’ and anything that conflicts with that is not to be borne.”

Using child sex abuse as an example, Fry said people who wanted warnings on disturbing texts needed to grow up.

“There are many great plays which contain rapes, and the word rape now is even considered a rape,” he said. “If you say: ‘you can’t watch this play, you can’t watch Titus Andronicus, or you can’t read it in a Shakespeare class, or you can’t read Macbeth because it’s got children being killed in it, it might trigger something when you were young that upset you once, because uncle touched you in a nasty place’, well I’m sorry.

“It’s a great shame and we’re all very sorry that your uncle touched you in that nasty place, you get some of my sympathy, but your self-pity gets none of my sympathy because self-pity is the ugliest emotion in humanity.

“Get rid of it, because no one’s going to like you if you feel sorry for yourself. The irony is we’ll feel sorry for you, if you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Just grow up.”

Not saying I now (fully) agree with him, but the first article lacked a bit of context imo.
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Apr 13, 2016,
Quote by Xiaoxi
I think essentially he's saying it doesn't matter what hard shit you've been through life. Stop dwelling on it and feeling sorry for yourself.

I'd have to agree.

Pretty much this, except I'm massively hypocritical sometimes and dwell quite badly. Although, I stopped caring about myself long ago so yeah, not important.

EDIT: Ulti's post actually does give a bit more context and makes me think this is a viable point poorly put
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Apr 13, 2016,
Quote by ultimate-slash
I feel like this article paints the picture for why he said what he said a bit clearer.

Not saying I now (fully) agree with him, but the first article lacked a bit of context imo.

man...hes makin a lot of good points
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
I'm indifferent. Some things I agree with him some things not.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by genghisgandhi
I've not been able to stand him for years. hate how smug and self righteous he always seems to be

No actual offense intended, but I've happened to notice some see you the same way
I could be confusing you with someone else though
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Love Stephen!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by genghisgandhi
I don't think anyone really cares about me, I'd worry for them if they did

Lol fair enough
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

I like Stephen Fry.

He's basically saying stop carrying round baggage and move on. Hard, but reasonable for some instances.
I've always said he was an unfunny moron and I'm glad this might help other people start to see it too.

The British unconditional love for their comedians that aren't Russell Brand borders on the creepy and irrational tbh
used to like him but know i think he's actually a bit of a self righteous nob
Quote by Minkaro
Doesn't he keep quitting Twitter because people are mean to him?

probably he's a bit of a drama queen
"Grow up" in general is pretty douchey thing to say
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I've always said he was an unfunny moron and I'm glad this might help other people start to see it too.

The British unconditional love for their comedians that aren't Russell Brand borders on the creepy and irrational tbh

You really don't know many British comedians do you?
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by GuitarGod_92

Dude what are you on about we fucking hate a whole bunch of our comedians

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Yeah basically any time a comedian gets popular over here they instantly become an unfunny nobhead.

See: Michael McIntyre, Jason Manford, Frankie Boyle, Peter Kay, etc
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

The whole parade of "BBC TV comedians" are all painfully unfunny. First time you see them they might be alright but then you're worn down by their repeated jokes as they appear on every TV comedy and panel show that there is.

Lee Evans, Michael MacIntyre, Jason Manford, Peter Kay, Frankie Boyle etc. are all universally hated by a significant amount of people at this point. There's also people like Sarah Millican who are just not funny and I'm not sure how they even get employed. Some comedians who are genuinely funny completely wear you down with all of their appearances on everything eg. Ed Brynes

Also Russell Howard is fucking dire he just rips jokes off Reddit and puts on a funny voice.

Not that the US has any better with Chris Rock fucking lol.

Rhod Gilbert and Dara O'Briain are the only two comedians I'd pay to see. Maybe Bill Bailey.

In fact I have seen Rhod Gilbert live.

Also add Jack Whitehall to the list of "how the fuck do people find him funny" comedians.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Page 1 of 4