Remember when I readied you for the Iceland media trend?

Quote by VampireGoldfish
Iceland Playing the Part of Satan's Cunt
In case you have ignored my few posts, hints and tips pertaining to the afterbirth of blood and vitriol from Iceland as of very recent, here is your chance to dive right in to the good stuff and be spoon fed. Seemingly from out of the blue Iceland has been a hotbed of miasmic activity with their damp soil giving way to a few noteworthy projects that can satisfy the ears and could lead to future greatness. Let us begin. Naðra Eitur Careening out of control right out of the gates with a drummer who is trying his best to keep everything from falling apart at the seams. Punchy leads jump out of the mix and strain the music to its breaking point. Vocalist is lost in the chaos. Two tracks here. Neither waste time before showing you exactly what they are made of. Shades of Dodsengel's "Visionary" to be found at times here, where "bouncy" riffs lose no darkness despite their far from atonal approach. Drummer sweating intensifies. The aural assault does not cease during momentum breaks, as the strain and stress is kept at maximum even during build ups. Lotta trem picking here which can bother some (myself included) but I never leered at my stereo as I have been known to do when such riffing takes place. Feels appropriate and measured here. Wonderful live sound to the rhythm and drums here. The monster of a track, "Falið," has a colossal climax. Culminates into a woozy, atmospheric free-fall. 13 minutes can be a huge waste of time, but every moment is squeezed of it's precious bodily fluids. Do you like hi-hats? Varg did. These guys do. Warm bass throughout. Room for maturation? Sure. Admirable listen? Yes! ________________________________________________________________ Misþyrming Söngvar elds og óreiðu Thicker, meatier and more viscous. Same sort of tension building with long expanses of time passing before release. Tantric as fukk. Very commanding presence, perched on a cliff side shouting at the burning/bleeding void sort of sound. Things are more controlled here in terms of musicianship and the transitional riffs are very seamless and evocative. Subtle additions from one measure to the next lead into new territories with relative ease. This one is a full length, so you're in for the long run. More dissonance here but it never reaches that goofy DSO sound if you ask me. Feels way more thrashing. Huge, multi-layered sound with comfortable sways in momentum. Demands to be on a stereo, not on YouTube. A Metal accolyte will find a variety of sounds here despite the deceivingly same-y sound other less initated listeners may make accusations of. Nothing you have not heard before? Maybe. Strong as fuck? Yes! ________________________________________________________________ Mannveira Von Er Eitur Looking for something more inclined to creeping amidst a roiling Icelandic fog? Less smashing, more gravechills. Wonderfully seductive. Alluring riffs lead to wretched riffs you might find on a late 90's BM album that managed to not suck. Less bludgeoning here, more siren song from decrepit tombs. Not everyone is into that type of riff, but I find when it is done right it is mighty evocative. Give in to the fumes and relegate yourself to the wisdom of damp cemetery soil. ______________________________________________________________ BLAST FROM THE PAST! Potentiam Bálsýn Listen to this, which some may classify as Iceland's greatest hidden gem, and tell me how hard it is to disagree with such a sentiment. I will leave it at that. A must listen? Yes. Will you listen? Probably not.

Well it came as prophesied and while the Vice levels of journalistic click-bait "scoop" bullshit is a gross side effect, at least we get the music. I think I can now lay claim to a favorite among the bunch. Naðra. Eitur was brimming with promise and Allir vegir til glötunar delivered the goods. Now we are left with what is next, Form.

https://nadra.bandcamp.com/

Eagerly supported by yours truly. I myself bear Shamanistic witness to moss entombed graven altars of Tooth & Claw with a healthy dose of macro-cosmic perspective. It's all bullshit though, I don't read the language. Could be about anything. But those riffs? Frantic hellspeeds but given tones and melodies to shine and burn themselves into your memory. They achieve heights of magnificent and terrible grandeur for the seemingly sole purpose of dropping you from such a height. And man do you fall in style! Why, tell me, why does the last frantic set of leads in Fórn remind me of André Olbrich? These sections of immediately awesome but massively enduring guitar passages are the shining star here. They come and go with reckless abandon but a level of craft that belies there seemingly wanton chaos.

So easy to repeatedly play again and again.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Years ago I read a book about the Icelandic Commonwealth, and that sounded pretty cool. It's all I know about Iceland, and I forgot all about it, so really I know nothing. Guess I'll have to check this band out.

edit:

Good first impression, strong sense of melancholy, engaging drumming, vocals wouldn't be out of place in a crust band (big plus, I think). Altogether good, dynamic stuff with its own distinct flavour.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Last edited by MHDrunk at Apr 13, 2016,
Initially this has a very Cascadian sound to it like from a few years back when Profound Lore was popping out those bands as quick as they could.

The vocals are more crust punky though as Drunk stated. They certainly have a better mind about their fretwork during fast portions other than just tremelo picking minor thirds

Progedit - oh broseph, the 4 minute mark in Forn? Totally gucci
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Last edited by progbass at Apr 13, 2016,
Quote by progbass
Initially this has a very Cascadian sound to it like from a few years back when Profound Lore was popping out those bands as quick as they could.

Totally. All the trem picking and song structure is on the mark in that respect and I am typically such a reserved and harsh critic when it comes to that sound, yet here we are...

Quote by progbass
Pogedit - oh broseph, the 4 minute mark in Forn? Totally gucci

Right on. Creative fret stuff all over the place.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
The rock/heavy metal section almost came out of nowhere but it sounded like it fit in really nicely. Interesting.