Hi Guys,

Its awesome here. Looking at all these nice guitars and reading all your suggestions is just amazing info, and inspires me somehow to play more.

First of all: I searched and did not find anything. If i am wrong and you find something, please point me to the right link.

I am in 2 bands currently.

Band 1: Home project (Blues rock / classic rock) : fiance´does Vocals and Piano (she has a vocal combo of Grace slicks and Amy lee) me, Vocals and Guitars.

Band 2: (Classic rock/ Hard rock/ Psychedelic) Me, Lead vocals + Guitar, Mich ,German Vocals and guitar (strat), MK plays Baritone guitar and Bass, and TS plays drums.

So band 1 works awesome: we have 3 awesome songs, but working on new material which is on hold because of my fiance's Work load and Wedding plans. and also no drummer.

So the problem is Band 2.

Which works Good as well. we got some good material as well. After loads of practice and fine tuning one day we will get there.

Once or twice Mich was away, to support his wife (for everything) the three of us Jammed and it sound awesome, the singing tomes of my R9, the creamy lead tones, the powerful riffs combined with the Bass and the Drum were just awesome, it was like according to our drummer TS "Comforting like a warm woolen blanked in chilly weather".
we really Hit it off as a three piece, and get songs almost perfectly arranged in 2 hrs.

BUT When Mich returned we realized that the strat was drowning the LesPaul, and we spent hours asking him to play lighter/quieter . Every time he comes in and plays rhythm, it drowns the les paul and sounds incredibly shrill. But Alone it sounds Ok. Just Ok

I am set up like this. Volume 7, master 6, Bass 3, highs and Mids at 7, Guitar volume / tone at 5 and i increase it for solos.
Will Update again on his setup on Tuesday

If i increase my amp volume it gets too loud.

HELP!!! HELPWhat do i do?

Regards
Kaputme
It happens all the time. Balance issues are a fairly regular problem in any band. It's not a matter of Strat versus Les Paul or amp modal vs. amp modal it's a matter of blend. Some players just play loud no matter what equipment they have and it's very difficult to deal with. You are not alone. I usually have that issue with drummers who can't control their dynamics and just hit the snare as hard as possible. Worse yet is when they smack a crash cymbal that is two feet from your head on a crowded stage. I also find the loudest person in the band is usually someone who is not one of the vocalists and provides no help in that department.

I can only suggest putting up a single microphone as close to middle of the room as possible and recording the band. Better yet, if own or can borrow one the many small digital recorders with built in mics like the Tascam, Zoom or other brands use that to record the band. If your other guitar player is too loud it will be obvious on the recording and at least you have the recording to show him. Good luck.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Apr 15, 2016,
Quote by kaputme

I am set up like this. Volume 7, master 6, Bass 3, highs and Mids at 7, Guitar volume / tone at 5 and i increase it for solos.
Will Update again on his setup on Tuesday

If i increase my amp volume it gets too loud.

HELP!!! HELPWhat do i do?

Regards
Kaputme

1) Strats are only shrill when the amp is terrible or the EQ is not set properly. Watch a video of SRV - there is nothing shrill there - the Strat can be fat or shrill depending on the amp.

2) Post his gear and settings, your settings don't really matter here.

3) He is the problem, you should not have other band members raising their volume to match his - you need to get him to turn down and possibly EQ his amp to tame the brightness ( turn off bright switch, roll back presence and highs etc.).
So what kind of amp do you play? What kind of amp does he play?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.