Hey everyone.

I´m a fixed bridge guy, but I found a pickup, that seems to be very interesting for me - SD Parallel Axis. I would love to have in the bridge position of one of my fixed bridge guitars (not yet decided which one), but alas, the Parellel Axis is a "trembucker", or in other words, a pickup designed for tremolo guitars´ bridge position. Is that a problem or not? Can I use the Parallel Axis for a fixed bridge guitar?

Please don´t ask me the usual questions like "what do you intend to achieve tone-wise" or "what style do you play" or "why don´t you try a trem guitar" and please do not offer me any other pickup alternatives. All that stuff I have already resolved, so please save your valuable time....

I really just need to know if that one particular pickup would fit, or if I just have to forget about it. Or what could I possibly do to make it fit.

Thank you all in advance for your wise replies!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 14, 2016,
I would call SD. They have gone out of their way to help me on several occasions. Nice and helpful people there.

It's likely going to come down to the measurements so I would figure out what guitar you want/can fit it in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I would call SD. They have gone out of their way to help me on several occasions. Nice and helpful people there.

It's likely going to come down to the measurements so I would figure out what guitar you want/can fit it in.

Measurements.... you´re probably right, I measured my possible candidates and although they are all fixed bridge, their string spacing at bridge ranges from 51 to 53 mm....

But calling SD is not an option for me, a phone call would cost me a fortune, from the other side of the globe.... I´ll try to find some support e-mail.
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Quote by Airfish
the Parellel Axis is a "trembucker", or in other words, a pickup designed for tremolo guitars´ bridge position.

"Trembucker" has to do with the pole spacing, and most "trembuckers" are also available as normal humbuckers as well.

From Seymour Duncan:

Humbuckers and Trembuckers are very similar to each other, and most humbucker models also come in Trembucker versions. The Trembucker-spaced JB, for example, is a TB-4 and the humbucker-spaced version in an SH-4. The only difference is the wider spacing of the pole pieces on the Trembucker versions. This spacing issue only applies to the bridge position pickup, which is why Trembuckers are recommended for the bridge position. Trembuckers are designed for wider string most commonly associated with Floyd Rose or vintage vibrato bridges (often called Tremolos) with a string spacing of 2.070″ or 52.6mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup. Humbuckers are designed for bridges with traditional Gibson humbucker string spacing of 1.930″ or 49mm, measured center of high string to center of low string over the bridge pickup.
Last edited by dspellman at Apr 14, 2016,
I have a distortion trembucker in place of a bridge pickup on one of my guitars, not a problem, it was the same size fit as far as I remember. The way the pole pieces are spaced are around the string so it doesn't glue on to the pickup when you do dive bars (remember Dime and his scotch tape fix?). Call SD just in case but I think it fits fine. In my case I put it in a Wilkinson trem guitar which had a standard bucker.
Last edited by diabolical at Apr 14, 2016,
SD told me the Trembucker is wider for Fender spaced bridges ...... humbuckers for Gibson spacing , I just recently removed a SD TB4 from my US G&L Fallout and replaced it with Invader Trembucker called a Sinister Gates
The physical size of the trembucker will be identical to the humbucker, on difference is the spacing of the pole pieces. Having played fixed bridge guitars with both HBs and TBs I can tell you that IMHO the difference is negligible, if you can even notice it at all, I have even had a fixed bridge from Jackson that came with a TB4 in the bridge and a floyd from them that came with an SH4.
The Parallel Axis is a pretty unique pickup that has the poles on either side of the string. The flux pattern is pretty big, so you should be fine, but you will notice the strings not aligning right between the poles. It might result in balance problems, but if you can't hear it, then don't worry about it (or OCD). Lots of people use Trembuckers with fixed bridges and don't have problems. Some notice some strings are louder than others. With Parallel Axis pickups, there is no way to adjust the poles, other than tilting the pickup. This might work for you, but you won't know if there is a problem unless you try.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
The Parallel Axis is a pretty unique pickup that has the poles on either side of the string. The flux pattern is pretty big, so you should be fine, but you will notice the strings not aligning right between the poles. It might result in balance problems, but if you can't hear it, then don't worry about it (or OCD). Lots of people use Trembuckers with fixed bridges and don't have problems. Some notice some strings are louder than others. With Parallel Axis pickups, there is no way to adjust the poles, other than tilting the pickup. This might work for you, but you won't know if there is a problem unless you try.

Balance.... I don´t have a problem with a tilted pickup. And mmmmaybe I don´t even have a problem to "sacrifice" the alignment on the thin strings´side. I play mostly rhythm riffs and chords on the thick strings, so those have to be aligned perfectly with the poles, for me.... OK, so far I got a whola lotta encouraging views from you, I am now very much tempted to simply take my chances and buy that pickup. Cheers, folks!
Quote by Mincer
Awesome...let us know how it turns out.

No problem, I will.
FWIW, I've used F-style pickups for a regular TOM bridge guitar and the results were fine, no noticeable loss of output or clarity on either side.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Errr.... meanwhile things got complicated a bit, because now my main candidate for that pickup is a guitar that I don´t own.... yet.... I have a chance to check it out, they have one showroom piece in a shop that´s like two hours travel by car from where I live. And I have to check it out before I buy it, I want to avoid the trouble with ordering and then returning back to eshops.... I have to check out the balance of that guitar (I really hate neckdive, even the widest suede strap is not able to cure that for me) and I will do an exact measurement of the string spacing at its fixed bridge. In about a week, I hope they won´t sell that one guitar until then....
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 17, 2016,
Nothing wrong with taking your time and investigating. I wish more people did that before they went out and bought stuff. In any case I think that you will be able to use the trembucker with a normal spaced guitar.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Nothing wrong with taking your time and investigating. I wish more people did that before they went out and bought stuff. In any case I think that you will be able to use the trembucker with a normal spaced guitar.

Thanks for your optimism, dude!

Anyway the delivery of that pickup would take about a month cos none of the eshops in my area has it in stock, so until then I really have the time to figure out the best guitar for it, either one of my existing, or a new one.
Last edited by Airfish at Apr 17, 2016,
Pole pieces generally don't matter all that much, though there have been a lot of arguments to the contrary, particularly from manufacturers who want to sell you their latest pickup.

Calvin put out 22-pole pickups (still do) and the original premise was that you were less likely to have a dropout while bending. That was the same premise for "rail" pickups. Bill Lawrence screw-type pickups off the first "hot" pickups Gibson ever had, designed for the Gibson L6S. Fender staggered the pole heights (and, of course, that's what you're supposed to do with the screw-type poles, except that most folks never touch them) and some techs swear by setting the screw-pole pickups to match the radius of the bottom of the strings. Some adjust according to whether the plain strings will have more output than the wound strings, etc., etc.

Dammit, there seems to be a whole alchemy to it....
Quote by dspellman
And mostly, it Just Doesn't Matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8

Okay, I was trying to use that irony thing....