Wanted to try heavier strings on the standard. I Adjusted tension, but now the bend for my g string isn't quite there. I'm using the daddario medium jazz gauge, and the G is a .26 but it is wound. will a non wound .26 hit the higher bend i want? or am i screwed all together?
all about finger strength. if you can't bend it then kinda doubt wound or unwound will make much difference
That's a common issue with sucking.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Tune down. Problem solved.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
13s are pretty tight in standard tuning, not surprised you're having trouble bending them. Try 12s or maybe even 11s. I personally like 11s. Not super tight, not super floppy, perfect balance for me. 12s aren't too bad either.
.013 gauge is serious business. With the added tension it will be far more difficult to bend. You say that you have to bend it further to hit the sweet spot? Did you intonate properly? It should be harder to bend but the distance should be the same. Would also keep an eye on the truss rod with that kind of tension you might have far to much neck relief. If it is to hard to bend in the end I would just go down a gauge or two.Swapping out a wound G for a unwound will cause the string to go out of tune. Been there done that. I've been using heavy strings on some of my guitars for years. Use 13-58 on one of my Tele's but that one is for slide, my other Tele has .11's on it bends like a dream. Hope that helps. Also think about going with a set of Heavy bottom light top strings ernie ball has a few different ones. I'm sure there are others. Good luck.
By Jazz Gauge do you mean flatwounds? I think I have flatwound 11's on an S-style guitar. The G does take a lot more effort to bend up a whole tone. Not sure if that is due to the G being wound or not.
Every time I see a thread like this where heavy strings are causing a problem, I enjoy my 9's more and more.

TBH the only reason I run 9's is because I ordered a BUNCH of them quite some time ago, before the 7's were commonly available.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Apr 15, 2016,
Generally speaking, if you're aiming to do a lot of bending, you're going to want to go lighter, not heavier. That said, the problem you're having will be solved by increasing your finger strength, not going wound to unwound on the G, which, in my opinion, almost always sounds worse at that tension.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by Arby911
Every time I see a thread like this where heavy strings are causing a problem, I enjoy my 9's more and more.

TBH the only reason I run 9's is because I ordered a BUNCH of them quite some time ago, before the 7's were commonly available.

Yes, I find 9's to be more challenging because they move easily and as such I might accidentally bend them with my big fumble fingers, but when I am on and hit them right it is really good.
SRV's use of 13's on his Strats gave him frequent nail splits (skin under the nails pulling away from the nails) and he was a tall man with larger hands & used to using 13s for years!
If you're going to be using bluesy bends and good finger vibrato why are you trying to use such large strings? Once you get to 10's or 11's there should be plenty of meat in the strings for good tone without killing your hands and possibly causing long term injury.
Moving on.....
SRV tuned down, and didn't use 13s all the time. If you really like 13s, be careful about developing hand issues later on. Especially if those things run in your family. It isn't worth playing in pain when there are other alternatives out there.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I can't even run 12s anymore on my 25.5 scale guitars in E standard. The problem isn't hand strength, the problem is that you run out of room to bend. I can get almost exactly a full step bend before I run out of room. To do more then that you will need to bend clear off the fretboard.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Mincer
SRV tuned down, and didn't use 13s all the time. If you really like 13s, be careful about developing hand issues later on. Especially if those things run in your family. It isn't worth playing in pain when there are other alternatives out there.

How does playing with 13s cause hand issues? If anything I can't really go back to anything much lighter or the guitar just feels weak and floppy.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
How does playing with 13s cause hand issues? If anything I can't really go back to anything much lighter or the guitar just feels weak and floppy.

there are these things in your hands called tendons. and these other things called ligaments.

but in most cases it's probably not a big deal.

although i doubt most people that play 13s play with a balanced set tuned to E. That does not equal good string stability.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by monwobobbo
all about finger strength. if you can't bend it then kinda doubt wound or unwound will make much difference

+1